Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Boarding Groups and Bus Gates

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:03 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Boarding Groups and Bus Gates

Sorry for the rant, but just boarding at LIS and faced with a bus gate has made my blood boil. Surely if they know they're making us use a bus they should board higher priority groups LAST. Or better yet, just don't use bus gates at all.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci des Hommes Magiques et Magnifiques
No, why not first? Bussing gates will always be necessary I’m afraid?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
You'll soon complain if you board last (because of higher priority) and find all the over heads are full!
justin_krusty likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:34 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't get it. If you want to board last, wait till the last bus! No one is forcing you to take the first bus.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:35 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze; ALL Gold
The point is surely that if you get on the bus last, you get off it first and are first up the steps. However that only works if you exit the bus the same side as you entered...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:40 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
Lisbon airport is generally a bit miserable when on BA in my experience. In addition to bus boarding, I never seem to be let into Fast Track either. I don't mind bus boarding tbh- going up the stairs gives a good sense of the beauty of the aircraft. It makes sense to have priority passengers go first on a separate bus. I don't undersstand the OP's point about leaving them until last.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
At KRK there are usually 3 buses from the terminal to the aircraft, 2 pretty full and then one with the stragglers

Priority boarding at least means you are on the first bus, therefore one of the first to get on the aircraft

I expect LIS is pretty much the same
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Accor Diamond, IHG Diamond
The night stopper usually gets a jet bridge but the others usually park on a remote stand miles away from the terminal next to cargo planes. Anyone know why?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
Originally Posted by Travelling Inspector
The point is surely that if you get on the bus last, you get off it first and are first up the steps. However that only works if you exit the bus the same side as you entered...
That is, indeed, exactly the point. And you spend less time standing on the bus as well.
Originally Posted by South London Bon Viveur
Lisbon airport is generally a bit miserable when on BA in my experience. In addition to bus boarding, I never seem to be let into Fast Track either. I don't mind bus boarding tbh- going up the stairs gives a good sense of the beauty of the aircraft. It makes sense to have priority passengers go first on a separate bus. I don't undersstand the OP's point about leaving them until last.
My point is as above. Of course, I take your point that this would be different if there were a priority bus, but while I've heard of this mythical creature, I've never actually encountered it.

To bear with me. If I'd known this was gonna be a bus gate I would not have gone into the group 1 lane, trust me, and I appreciate it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's just one of my biggest bugbears.

Also, just landed at LHR and clearly someone at BA is reading this thread, as it seems there is another bus for disembarking. *facepalm*

EDIT: I say that, and now the bus at LHR is a Club Europe bus. 🤣
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:07 pm

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
There has been a priority bus for disembarking for some years now.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:28 pm

Programs: BA- blue, BD,DL
On Ryanair speedy boarders were put on the bus first at the front and roped off. Everyone else got on. At the plane only the front door opened so all the speedy boarders got on first.
Surely BA could manage something similar.
lhrpete likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:43 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Miles and More(FTL), IHG(Platinum), Accor, HHonors(Diamond), SPG, Hertz Five Star
It may be that between ce, groups1 and 2 that ba fills a bus so no point in roping off.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:50 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Mordac
If I'd known this was gonna be a bus gate I would not have gone into the group 1 lane, trust me, and I appreciate it's not a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but it's just one of my biggest bugbears.
If it is a bugbear then don't hesitate to enquire here, the LIS situation is well known to the regulars, along with the added local habit of the LIS ground staff trying to close off the flight with indecent haste. As you now know, they also use the stairwell to back up the queue between buses, so timing is of the essence. FT is to make your life easier so ask away. My approach is to aim for the stragglers' bus, I know many FTers love to get to their luxury shorthaul seat ASAP but my motto is "last on, first off".
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:51 pm

Programs: BA Silver
The 501 from Lisbon in my experience is fighting with all the TAP departures at the same time. It looks like they get jet bridge priority. (The 500 is also bus on arrival)
I hear the grumblings on arrival and departure of the CE passengers... BA being to tight for a jet bridge etc.
Personally I stand back and watch the fun at the gates and make sure I’m the last to board! The last 2 departures from Lisbon I’ve been the only one on the bus.
But I do agree with you being next to the cargo planes! It’s miles from the terminal!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:11 pm

Programs: Sir Ratechaser Seigneur de la Patience d'un Saint (Mucci), BA Silver, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
I know many FTers love to get to their luxury shorthaul seat ASAP.

I often observe said luxury seats from the cramped discomfort of my Y exit row...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.