Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB , BA Gold
I have stopped counting the number of organizations (including many airlines) where they reported that their database has been hacked, including credit card details. I have no illusion that I missed many and that smaller outfits have been hacked too. When I look at the number of online payments that I make to various airlines , including Apple, Spotify, Netflix and the like, but also hotels and lesser shopping websites, I am a bit horrified.
I got two cc compromised by BA breach and one of those by CX breach. No problems yet. But if I get some fraudulent use, I would not jump to the conclusion that it is linked to any specific breach.
Kgmm77 likes this.

Last edited by brunos; Dec 28, 2018 at 2:51 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:14 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
Its rediculous We talked at 11am. They say they will send the new card out today.. And they can't have it in Berlin the next day? Amazon can do a same day delivery? Which year do they live in?
Its not they say they need a week to produce the card. No they send it out but can't send it express .
LOL..
​​​​​​
Amazon have an enormous network of courier companies - including its own airline. Amex does not.

As I said, there's not a single card company that would get you a new card sent on Boxing Day and arriving in a foreign country the next morning. It's beyond me why you'd expect that level of service!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:30 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by chistery
Wouldn't a PIN be needed for a cash withdrawal?
I know, but this is what the agent told me. According to the information on the system, it looks like someone was trying to swipe my card to get cash in the US.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:00 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by Bastien003
I know, but this is what the agent told me. According to the information on the system, it looks like someone was trying to swipe my card to get cash in the US.
Seems more likely the card and PIN details were obtained from somewhere that isn't BA then.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:01 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by callum9999
​​​​​​
Amazon have an enormous network of courier companies - including its own airline. Amex does not.

As I said, there's not a single card company that would get you a new card sent on Boxing Day and arriving in a foreign country the next morning. It's beyond me why you'd expect that level of service!
As you seem to want to argue the toss about every last thing...

Amex will print a card locally rather than ship one from the UK. It happened to a friend when he was in Australia. The replacement was received the next day.
Silver Fox and Tocsin like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:48 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
I had my Amex card taken from me in St Petersburg. Taken from my zipped pocket under my zipped jacket by an expert team who looked like they could handle themselves ( think downmarket McMafia). My card was hit four times in minutes. Bar stewards but real pros.
Amex were great. As was the plain clothes copper I filed the report with. Wouldn’t want to argue with him either.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
As you seem to want to argue the toss about every last thing...

Amex will print a card locally rather than ship one from the UK. It happened to a friend when he was in Australia. The replacement was received the next day.
Don't talk rubbish and I won't need to...

Amex sent my card from the UK to Australia with DHL. Your friend clearly did not order it on Boxing Day...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:32 am

Amex sent my card from the UK to Australia with DHL. Your friend clearly did not order it on Boxing Day...
More fool you then... You should have asked them to expedite it.

And no, it wasn't Boxing Day, where did I ever say it was?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:35 am

And PS...

https://www.americanexpress.com/uk/s...olen-card.html
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:08 pm

More fool you then... You should have asked them to expedite it.

And no, it wasn't Boxing Day, where did I ever say it was?
Perhaps.

​​​​​​You didn't, nor did I say you did. The OP called Amex on Boxing Day, a public holiday, and expected a replacement the following day in Germany. A ridiculous expectation in my book - something I thought would be universally held but I guess not. To each their own.

Not sure what that link is about either. It says "almost always within 48 hours", not guaranteed next day - even on public holidays.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:27 pm

Not sure what that link is about either. It says "almost always within 48 hours", not guaranteed next day - even on public holidays.
The link was to show that you were a bit naive in accepting a DHL delivery from the UK to Australia. Or maybe that never actually happened as I'm certain it would cost a lot more than Amex producing the card in Oz and shipping it locally...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:37 pm

The link was to show that you were a bit naive in accepting a DHL delivery from the UK to Australia. Or maybe that never actually happened as I'm certain it would cost a lot more than Amex producing the card in Oz and shipping it locally...
I may have been naïve, but as I never actually use the card in Australia (only online if in GBP), I really couldn't have cared less whether it was replaced in 1 day or 1 week.

Not that any of this has anything whatsoever to do with the point I made!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:25 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
It's so nice to see the festive spirit manifesting in yet another thread... Back to being loving and caring?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:17 pm

I may have been naïve, but as I never actually use the card in Australia (only online if in GBP), I really couldn't have cared less whether it was replaced in 1 day or 1 week.
Keep digging mate...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:26 pm

Keep digging mate...
Grow up - I am irrefutably correct, it's written here in black and white. I couldnt care less whether you accept it or not - have a good night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.