Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:22 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
mine got hacked over Xmas. I got a BA breach mail, too.. like 10 bookings of up to 10euros.. one of a hunderd.. now they blocked the card and send me a new one.. which they are unable to do in 24h ? ..... that means i will fly to sin and on to asia tomorrow with no amex.. outstanding service!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:24 am

Originally Posted by Vasco Pridat
mine got hacked over Xmas. I got a BA breach mail, too.. like 10 bookings of up to 10euros.. one of a hunderd.. now they blocked the card and send me a new one.. which they are unable to do in 24h ? ..... that means i will fly to sin and on to asia tomorrow with no amex.. outstanding service!
No card company would do a 24 hour replacement, let alone on Boxing Day...

You could get it sent to Asia if it's a big deal though. Or presumably use the Amex app for smaller purchases if you have NFC.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:33 am

Programs: BA GGL, CCR - TK G
Originally Posted by callum9999
No card company would do a 24 hour replacement, let alone on Boxing Day...

You could get it sent to Asia if it's a big deal though. Or presumably use the Amex app for smaller purchases if you have NFC.
Its rediculous We talked at 11am. They say they will send the new card out today.. And they can't have it in Berlin the next day? Amazon can do a same day delivery? Which year do they live in?
Its not they say they need a week to produce the card. No they send it out but can't send it express .
LOL..
Silver Fox and simonrp84 like this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
On a positive note, my BA Amex PP is still clean, despite having been abroad (MLA and CPT) since the breach, Just cleared, today, both Amex and MBNA cards with no odd transactions, so it’s clearly a lottery as to when/if your card gets picked.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 10:19 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think the scammers are getting cleverer. Whereas it used to be them booking flights in Russia, or something that obviously stuck out as not normal, they are now playing the "middle class game". People who fly BA are generally going to be middle class, shop at John Lewis / Harvey Nichols / Waitrose etc. This is one of the reasons it points to be the BA breach that has caused these.
Now I know why so many people 'have it in' for BA if that's what they think their customer profile base is like. Where the heck have you been for the last 20+ years?
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Amazon can do a same day delivery?
One day international delivery? Of bespoke items?

If not then this is a poor comparison.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Its rediculous We talked at 11am. They say they will send the new card out today.. And they can't have it in Berlin the next day? Amazon can do a same day delivery? Which year do they live in?
Its not they say they need a week to produce the card. No they send it out but can't send it express .
LOL..
My Amex was fraudelently used a couple of weeks before xmas, spotted by Amex and notified to me by both text message and email. I called them at 9am and had a new card in Munich the next morning. The Amex service is amazing. They did ask where I was and where I would like the new card sent to. There was never any mention of any charge for this service.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Flying Blue Platinum; Hilton Gold, IHG Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Wyndham Diamond
For a second I read the title as "Alex Hacked," rather than Amex. I imagined a canny FTer hacking into Alex Cruz corporate account and reversing the service cuts, updating the A320neos configurations...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:20 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Now I know why so many people 'have it in' for BA if that's what they think their customer profile base is like. Where the heck have you been for the last 20+ years?
While DYKWIA may have been presumtious as to the profile of the typical BA customer, if there even is such a thing, I do think the point is valid. Scammers know the country of origin from the card number and if wanting to avoid detection as long as possible they will not use the cards at the other end of the world, but rather where they presume the cardholder would normally shop.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
.... Scammers know the country of origin from the card number and if wanting to avoid detection as long as possible they will not use the cards at the other end of the world, but rather where they presume the cardholder would normally shop.
All of a sudden I feel more secure!! Apart from Waitrose on my wife’s partner card, there’s very little card activity here ... apart from ba.com and overseas!
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by Tafflyer

While DYKWIA may have been presumtious as to the profile of the typical BA customer, if there even is such a thing, I do think the point is valid. Scammers know the country of origin from the card number and if wanting to avoid detection as long as possible they will not use the cards at the other end of the world, but rather where they presume the cardholder would normally shop.
Perhaps it's my reading, but that isn't remotely the point they made. A scammer using the card in the same country it is issued in isn't remotely the same as Amex profiling BA users as middle class John Lewis shoppers!
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Same!

Same happened to me on the 26th of December on my Amex BA card.
4 dodgy cash withdrawals (20/10/10/30 GBP).
I received a text as well as an email from Amex to inform me straight away.
I called their customer service and they blocked the card.
Waiting for the new one to arrive. Hopefully today.

I asked the agent if it could be BA related. He couldn’t confirm or deny.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:10 am

Programs: MyWaitrose, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond & BAEC Gold
Wouldn't a PIN be needed for a cash withdrawal?
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Gold
Yesterday my partner had a fraudulent transaction on their BA AMEX (alerted by OTP authentication text/email) and then today my BA AMEX suffered the same. The guy at Amex said ‘there’s been a lot of these just recently’ but wouldn’t say more. They were professional and friendly as ever and confirmed no fraud transactions I would be liable for. Does seem odd as we’ve never ha far problems previously and yet both BA AMEX cards in 48 hrs...
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
I simply refuse to believe that Amex have decided BA flyers are probably middle class and so will likely spend in John Lewis. While fraud detection is increasingly sophisticated, that is just absurd. Would that conversely mean if they try and use their card in Lidl it will be blocked for being too lower class!

As to whether BA caused this, you have all most likely been involved in other data breaches you have no idea about. It's a logical assumption, but it's just that - an assumption, and so has no basis in fact. (Not that I'm claiming you are saying it's fact)
hahahah my card would def be flagged if i ever had a transaction from John Lewis haha

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.