Wiki Posts
Search

Amex Hacked

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:04 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Amex Hacked

Ive just had 4 dodgy transactions in a row on my BA Amex. Thankfully each required a safe key which was emailed to me so a quick call to Amex and card is now blocked.

Anyone else’s had any issues today?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:11 am

Yup, Ł1300 spent fraudulently on my card yesterday evening. I also got a safekey text which alerted me to something going on, but they had already spent the money by the time I logged into my account.

15 minute call to Amex and they blocked my card and said the transactions would be refunded, but as of now they are still showing on my account.

I seem to remember Amex assuring me I did not need to have my card replaced after being caught up in the hack, allegedly they would be able to spot any fraud automatically before it happened.

It must have been some middle class fraudsters as the money was spent at John Lewis Direct.
mikeyfly likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: BA Silver
This stuff happens to people all the time. No reason to think it is linked to the BA data breach. It may or may not be but you will never know.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:42 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Glad to hear that the fraud prevention measures prevented fraud!
Zol likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:03 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by fruitcage
This stuff happens to people all the time. No reason to think it is linked to the BA data breach. It may or may not be but you will never know.
The OP has every reason to think it's linked the BA breach!
Silver Fox, tm84 and 86BA7 like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:34 am
Suspended

Thank you OP. I just checked my AmEx after I received an email alert, that my card is hacked. And then I found it was used earlier this month by a fraudster. Today there were three entry online which AmEx blocked. Like OP I am a victim of the last BA data breach. I firmly believe this has everything to do with BA data breach. People should watch their card transaction daily now if you have not got a new card. Thank goodness I should receive a new card after this episode.
Silver Fox and Peeps like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:41 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by fruitcage
true it does happen but if many fraudulent transactions are happening at the same time then the common denominator could be the BA data breach, which is why I’ve asked on here.

I was caught in last breach but card wasn’t replaced nor any email from BA.

I 99% of the time only use google pay and my card is physically locked up in doors so very few options of it being hacked anywhere else.

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:23 am

My Amex was hacked a couple of weeks ago. And I was also caught up in the BA Data breach. Someone had fun spending over Ł1000 at Argos online. It wasn't picked up by Amex fraud - fortunately I check my statement regularly. Took a good week for the new card to come through so now having to change card details on everything. Real pain.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:45 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by IKDR
My Amex was hacked a couple of weeks ago. And I was also caught up in the BA Data breach. Someone had fun spending over Ł1000 at Argos online. It wasn't picked up by Amex fraud - fortunately I check my statement regularly. Took a good week for the new card to come through so now having to change card details on everything. Real pain.
i had exactly the same thing - 900+ in Argos (and 192.com) in November on my wife’s additional BA Amex card. I don’t think her card was part of the data breach though...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
No less than 14 fraudulent transactions overnight last night.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:24 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like hackers have tried to abuse lots of cards, probably hoping that detection would take longer in this Christmas period. A friend of mine posted this morning a message on Facebook that she got a message from her bank to notify that her card was blocked due to abuse of her creditcard (MasterCard in her case) the previous days. And she was not impacted by the BA data breach.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 12:41 am

Programs: BA Gold
We had AMEX text notifications come in late Boxing Day evening, 450+ for John Lewis Direct, Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar and Spotify. Talked to AMEX almost as soon as they came in--seems as though the transactions were approved even though I had not put the codes into an online entry point. Also got email notifications although I don't recall ever receiving those by email before. AMEX shut the card down but they seem to have some weak points in the security scheme that aren't holding up very well.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:52 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by airline brat
We had AMEX text notifications come in late Boxing Day evening, 450+ for John Lewis Direct, Harvey Nichols Beauty Bazaar and Spotify. Talked to AMEX almost as soon as they came in--seems as though the transactions were approved even though I had not put the codes into an online entry point. Also got email notifications although I don't recall ever receiving those by email before. AMEX shut the card down but they seem to have some weak points in the security scheme that aren't holding up very well.
I think the scammers are getting cleverer. Whereas it used to be them booking flights in Russia, or something that obviously stuck out as not normal, they are now playing the "middle class game". People who fly BA are generally going to be middle class, shop at John Lewis / Harvey Nichols / Waitrose etc. This is one of the reasons it points to be the BA breach that has caused these.

Amex will struggle to pick out the fraudulent transactions. Amex don't generally have 2FA on their purchases (occasionally they do IME). I think Amex will increase the checks in the future.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT PLT; QR GLD; Bonvoy LT TIT
This happens to everyone, everywhere. My Citi Prestige card number was compromised in August, numerous charges to the German National Railroad in Berlin. Citibank refunded everything and sent me a new card. The new card was compromised two weeks ago, this time a bunch of unintelligible charges from Spain. Charges refunded and new card issued.

My non-BA, unaffiliated AMEX PLT was compromised last year in the same way, I noticed strange charges. All refunded and new card issued, no problems.

I think that this is just a fact of life which credit card holders are going to have to accept.
fruitcage likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:20 am

Originally Posted by DYKWIA
I think the scammers are getting cleverer. Whereas it used to be them booking flights in Russia, or something that obviously stuck out as not normal, they are now playing the "middle class game". People who fly BA are generally going to be middle class, shop at John Lewis / Harvey Nichols / Waitrose etc. This is one of the reasons it points to be the BA breach that has caused these.

Amex will struggle to pick out the fraudulent transactions. Amex don't generally have 2FA on their purchases (occasionally they do IME). I think Amex will increase the checks in the future.
I simply refuse to believe that Amex have decided BA flyers are probably middle class and so will likely spend in John Lewis. While fraud detection is increasingly sophisticated, that is just absurd. Would that conversely mean if they try and use their card in Lidl it will be blocked for being too lower class!

As to whether BA caused this, you have all most likely been involved in other data breaches you have no idea about. It's a logical assumption, but it's just that - an assumption, and so has no basis in fact. (Not that I'm claiming you are saying it's fact)
windchaser777 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.