Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help please. Flying tomorrow /esta issue

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:23 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold, IHG Platinum, Hilton Honors Silver
Update. We drove through to the airport last night and checked in. The check in agent was able to sort things out eventually but it would have been too tight for time if we had left it overnight.

All a bit moot now anyway. We're stuck on the runway at Edinburgh so very unlikely to make our connection to Fort Lauderdale
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by scottish minnie
Thanks
C W S. All info correct on both the BA profile and the ESTA site. It was a new passport in August and worked ok for a Boston flight in September so feels like a glitch. We've decided we will go through for 4pm and check in then return home, have dinner with my parents then mum will take us back to the airport hotel.

I may try online check in later this morning just in case it has updated.

Thanks for the help everyone.
Did you apply for the ESTA on the old or new passport?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:37 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Did you apply for the ESTA on the old or new passport?
the new passport. The agent said it was probably a BA IT problem as I was the third passenger in that position yesterday.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA, U2+, SK, AF/KL, IHG, Hilton, others gathering dust...
Originally Posted by SKT-DK
Out of curiosity - What is the solution to this problem, if it is indeed the CBP's fault? - Is there a way to solve it given it only surfaced 24hrs prior to the flight?
The option of re-applying for an ESTA seems not to be possible given both a) the time to departure being too short to apply, and b) the OP already has an ESTA?
(a) It’s still possible to apply for an ESTA at short notice (and applications may still be approved in a matter of minutes, or not, as before), but as noted in other threads here and elsewhere, there can be issues with the marker coming back since “real time” approvals were stopped.

(b) There is nothing to stop you applying for a new ESTA with an existing one in place. The system will notify you during the application process if you have a valid ESTA with more than 30 days validity remaining, but you can say you still wish to apply and the new ESTA will override the old one.

Overall though, if it doesn’t work In the end (and thankfully for the OP here it seems it could be solved in person at check in) and it’s the CBP’s “fault”, not a lot you can do. Getting government departments anywhere in the world to admit fault on anything, especially immigration issues, is very difficult. The onus will always be placed on the traveller, rightly or wrongly. I suppose one could take legal action, but good luck with that.

Update. We drove through to the airport last night and checked in. The check in agent was able to sort things out eventually but it would have been too tight for time if we had left it overnight.

All a bit moot now anyway. We're stuck on the runway at Edinburgh so very unlikely to make our connection to Fort Lauderdale
Glad it was sorted, hope you make the connection and even if not, get to your destination today somehow.

Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:12 am
Original Poster

Made it to FLL after the flight from Gatwick was held for us. Despite being assured by BA staff that we (around 30 passengers connecting) would be met and fast tracked through Gatwick this didn't happen and we had to struggle through ourselves. Poor show on the part of Gatwick airport when BA had done their best to help.
however we are here now. We will never set foot in the hellhole that is FLL airport again but that's a whole other story that I won't bore people with.

Thank you all again for the advice 're the ESTA.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 5:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Glad you made it!

The FLL tale sounds as interesting as the rest of it, please divulge, it may save some of us a similar fate!
mike&co likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:08 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Looking for some advice

am due to fly tomorrow to the US. Tried to check in today and I'm receiving a message that I do not have a valid ESTA (or words to that effect). I have a current ESTA which I travelled on in September and is valid until 2020.

I called BA as I don't want to get to the airport and be refused boarding however their advice was to apply for another ESTA and hope it comes through. I'm reluctant to do that in case I'm refused or it invalidates the current one but the adviser was adamant if I don't take action before reaching the airport I will absolutely not be flying.

any ideas what to do - I fear I'm caught in a situation which I can't fix
Double check that your API is correct in the BA booking. I mistyped my passport number once and it flagged that I needed an ESTA.

During the ESTA process, the system will identify if you have a valid ESTA and alert you to this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:23 am

too late, flying to Fll on Thursday hope its not that bad , but hey we will be on holiday
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:26 am

Made it to FLL after the flight from Gatwick was held for us. Despite being assured by BA staff that we (around 30 passengers connecting) would be met and fast tracked through Gatwick this didn't happen and we had to struggle through ourselves. Poor show on the part of Gatwick airport when BA had done their best to help.
I don't follow what this has to do with Gatwick Airport. Surely with your inbound delayed it was the airline's issue to get you to the onward gate as quickly as possible.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:29 am

Originally Posted by Often1
That is quite simply wrong and perhaps demonstrates a lack of understanding of what an ESTA is and how it works.

BA, as a condition of its landing rights in the US, agrees that in the case of a passenger eligible for VWP, e.g. an ESTA, may not be boarded until and unless BA receives a notification from CBP that the ESTA has been approved. That notification, often received a "marker" is an electronic signal associated with the passenger's passport number.
Originally Posted by Often1
A passenger is only authorized to travel when CBP transmits its "marker" to the carrier. While unlikely, one could have an ESTA approved yet CBP fails to properly transmit its ",market" and one is denied boarding. One would hope that there is time for CBP to authorize the travel, but that is something not to be counted on.
Sounds like it may not have been as black and white after all....

The agent said it was probably a BA IT problem as I was the third passenger in that position yesterday.
Let me see....would I be backing BA's IT or the CBP's IT here
Old Dec 28, 2018, 7:06 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by Cap'n Benj
Glad you made it!

The FLL tale sounds as interesting as the rest of it, please divulge, it may save some of us a similar fate!

Agree, it would be helpful to know the issues as I’m looking at a FLL flight for next year
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:42 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by simons1
Sounds like it may not have been as black and white after all ...
It is. Either the passenger is authorised to travel or they are not. The ‘authorised to travel’ or ‘not authorised to travel’ marker is sent by the US, not a thing an airline can do about it. The airline may try to input the API again to see if there is a data input error but there is not much else they can do. If the US do not mark the passenger as authorised to travel that passenger is not travelling.

The idea of legal action is a non-starter, and IDB compensation is similarly not going to happen.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by Tobias-UK
It is. Either the passenger is authorised to travel or they are not. The ‘authorised to travel’ or ‘not authorised to travel’ marker is sent by the US, not a thing an airline can do about it. The airline may try to input the API again to see if there is a data input error but there is not much else they can do. If the US do not mark the passenger as authorised to travel that passenger is not travelling.

The idea of legal action is a non-starter, and IDB compensation is similarly not going to happen.
Are you sure? It's the passenger's responsibility to obtain the correct travel documents (such as an ESTA or a visa), but if the airline needs to run a computer program on the airline's computer, then I'd have thought that it's the airline's fault if the computer program returns incorrect data about the passenger's travel documents, or if the computer incorrectly mixes up the passenger with a terrorist with the same name who died a decade ago.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:30 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club, easyJet and Ryanair

Programs: BA Gold (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by Some person
Are you sure? It's the passenger's responsibility to obtain the correct travel documents (such as an ESTA or a visa), but if the airline needs to run a computer program on the airline's computer, then I'd have thought that it's the airline's fault if the computer program returns incorrect data about the passenger's travel documents, or if the computer incorrectly mixes up the passenger with a terrorist with the same name who died a decade ago.
This has nothing to do with the airline, the US dictates who is authorised to travel to the USA and it is the DHS who add the authorisation marker to the PNR. Without that marker the passenger is not going to travel.

The passenger is responsible for ensuring they have the correct travel documents and authorisations, they are also responsible for providing accurate data for the API. The slightest typo can cause the ‘authorised to travel’ to be withheld. An airline cannot be held liable if the DHS/CPB refuse to allow the passenger to travel or wrongly indicate the passenger is persona non grata.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 11:32 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Some person
No, that's not the way it works. An ESTA isn't a visa or a guarantee of entry, every day dozens of people in the UK with ESTAs are declined access to USA by the CBP for reasons best known to the CBP. Every flight to the USA involves the passenger manifest going to the CBP, and BA have every interest in making sure this process works. But every day some people come back with a black mark against their name and they won't be flying nor claiming EC261 against the agency which did this, namely the CBP. The only advice that comes back as to why someone is declined is "please apply for a visa from the nearest USA embassy". That may or may not throw up the reason but that message may be communicated by the CBP / Embassy to the passenger, but it isn't communicated to BA or any USA airlines either. All the airlines know is that the CBP has declined entry to the USA and there is nothing the airline can do about it. Now that isn't to say computers and interfaces don't go down from time to time, and FLY / JFE's shortcomings are occasionally highlighted here, but that tends to take out entire services, not individual passengers, the overwhelming cause of problems in this area are the internal mechanics of the CBP.
Often1 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.