Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:35 am

Programs: BA Exec Club, Flying Blue
Lets remember that the plastic waster bottles are entirely recyclable and if BA separates them in the waste, the impact on the environment is a lot less than throwing them away. I do strongly support the use of glasses of water with meals in the premium cabins though - if only as a matter of "class", the crews often don't seem to offer glass of water with meals these days unless asked.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 2:01 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Apparently a dog owner will generate more CO2 than someone driving a 4x4. The dog I mean...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:22 pm

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Originally Posted by MFCC
There does become a point that, on full flights, we may have to start refilling from a big bottle. It’s literally the same water - Highland Spring 1.5L vs. Highland Spring 500 ml (or Crystal Geyser), but you’ll be surprised how many people are bothered by this.
Currently drinking a cup of tea made with Highland Spring....my local water supply on tap!

I dont have an issue if it is refilled from a large bottle.

Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:38 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by FEMW

Currently drinking a cup of tea made with Highland Spring....my local water supply on tap!

I dont have an issue if it is refilled from a large bottle.

But would you have an issue if I had a cough/cold and had put my mouth around the lip of my bottle and the cabin crew refilled it from a big bottle and when doing so the lip of the big bottle rubbed against the lip of my bottle that has been in my germ filled mouth?

WickedStepMother likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

But would you have an issue if I had a cough/cold and had put my mouth around the lip of my bottle and the cabin crew refilled it from a big bottle and when doing so the lip of the big bottle rubbed against the lip of my bottle that has been in my germ filled mouth?

Here in Argentina it's common for a yerba mate to be passed around a group of strangers using the same bombilla. If you complained about catching other peoples germs you'd be seen as weird...or British.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:06 pm

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors Diamond, IHG Platinum, Senior Railcard & Bus Pass
Originally Posted by HIDDY
Here in Argentina it's common for a yerba mate to be passed around a group of strangers using the same bombilla. If you complained about catching other peoples germs you'd be seen as weird...or British.
And what if one one the strangers has a runny nose or a festering cold sore? Do they still get invited to use the same bombilla?
Old Dec 27, 2018, 11:59 pm

Programs: Qantas Platinum, United Premier 1K, HSBC Premier, AVIS President's Club, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Sure, it's not ideal, but it probably doesn't challenge your immune system a whole lot more than breathing the same germ-filled air as hundreds of other passengers for 12 hours. Planes are basically giant petri dishes. It's sort of like people who do regular longhaul flying worrying about a few extra plastic bottles ending up in landfill - their attitude is right and we should minimise unnecessary waste, but longhaul flying is hilariously bad for the environment and we all know (or should) know it.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 12:54 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG & Accor Plat...
Originally Posted by HIDDY
...../
You lot with lounge access could fill it for free while us without lounge access just go to an airport shop and buy a bottle of water to take on board.
Actually quite a few airports around thw world -- Heathrow included - have free water bottle refill stations set up airside. No need for lounge access.
HIDDY and Silver Fox like this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:05 am

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I ask for my reusable Sigg bottle to be refilled. This bottle has circled the globe many times over the last couple of years. Absolutely no need whatsoever for additional plastic to be consumed.
I have one of those double insulated water bottles. In the majority of airports in the world, there is a starbucks after security or a pub/bar - i as them to fill it up with ice and tap water and that usually lasts me flights up to 8 hours AND keeps my water ice cold - i usually refill with the small bottles i get too.
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:08 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by camdentown
... I do strongly support the use of glasses of water with meals in the premium cabins though - if only as a matter of "class"...
Absolutely, where’s the Waterford Crystal glasses?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 1:21 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by richardwft

Absolutely, where’s the Waterford Crystal glasses?
That is used to serve water with the meal, isn't it?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:30 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
I seem to recall the water glasses used during the meal service were ‘Dartington’ rather than Waterford.

Doc Copper
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:38 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by MiraculousM
I have one of those double insulated water bottles. In the majority of airports in the world, there is a starbucks after security or a pub/bar - i as them to fill it up with ice and tap water and that usually lasts me flights up to 8 hours AND keeps my water ice cold - i usually refill with the small bottles i get too.
That's a great idea. At many airports the airside traders are required to provide free water to those that ask, and where fountains are not provided. Stansted is I think the largest such airport in the UK now, but I've seen that rule in other countries too (e.g. Icelandic airports apart from KEF). The largest airport in the BA network without fountains is LCY. There is a guide to water fountains when travelling with BA in the Dashboard, LHR is now well provided and LGW has some handily by the lift from the lounge.
MiraculousM likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:40 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper
I seem to recall the water glasses used during the meal service were ‘Dartington’ rather than Waterford.
The First ones are Dartington, notably the crimson glass. I'm not so sure about the new CW glass.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 4:35 am

Programs: BA GGL, Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Lack of small water bottles solved

I had the same problem on a recent flight. The FA simply gave me a big bottle with was very much appreciated for my onward train journey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.