Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:02 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
When travelling with the kids we almost always have a couple of refillable water bottles like this.

I think I'll bring one along for my next solo trip. Just in case
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:09 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see any good eason for refilling the bottles - if someone wants another drink, just pour it into a glass - really, there shouldn't be need for any individual bottles - f the airline started serving other drinks in plastic bottles, there would be complaints about the service
The whole war on plastic has somehow created a huge new business in making reusable cups. Every shop in my town seems to be selling their own personalised version. The notion that existing plastic bottles can be reused seems to have been forgotten. And don't start me on Bags for Life....

Happy Christmas!!!
Silver Fox and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:20 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
the irony of people plastic-shaming on a board where your carbon emissions are doing just as much harm
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:28 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by VSLover
the irony of people plastic-shaming on a board where your carbon emissions are doing just as much harm
Plastic-shaming?

Me, I like the refillable bottles because you can refill them at the fountains instead of paying the usual big airside surcharge on water in airports.
And I prefer to have a bottle at the seat so I don't have to ask every 15 min for a glass refill, be it a personal bottle or one of the little ones given on board. Pity they have only still water, as I prefer the bubbles
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:30 am

Obviously, flying isn't very environmental friendly. When there is a good alternative like High Speed trains, I I enjoy taking them over flying. Unfortunately, this is only a real choice in some countries/areas. Western Europe, China, Japan - taking a train there instead of a domestic flight makes perfect sense. Other places in the world aren't that easy to travel without flying (or taking a car, which obviously is much less environmental friendly..)

Also, while flying certainly burns oil, it's not like it would use much less oil if I personally wouldn't fly - If I save some bottles, thats a direct impact. Plus, while PET is recycled in a few countries properly, it isn't in most. While I don't feel bad using a PET bottle in a country like Switzerland where it's recycled, and where it won't end up on a landfill (or in the ocean!) one can't say that about most other countries - and I doubt that the trash from aircrafts are properly recycled when you arrive at quite some airports.

Flying does damage the environment - but you can't do much if there is no alternative.

Choice of where you drink from is YOUR choice, you can directly limit your ecological footprint.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 3:36 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
I don’t understand this line of argument. Are you saying you might as well do other harmful things because you’re on a plane already? If so, why stop at plastic bottles? Might as well add whale meat and panda soup to the menu and be done with it.

FWIW I have carried a reusable Camelbak bottle for years; lounge staff and crew are always happy to top it up and there are more and more refill points in airports around the world that deliver tap or filtered water.

The obsession with bottled water, and people’s desire to transport water thousands of miles to drink from
bottles (eg Fiji water anywhere that’s not Fiji and Evian in the US) baffles me.
Skimo and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
I also question how many of the 45 people who liked the first post also opted to pay BA to offset their emissions when they are booking?

I appreciate that's not the point but I do agree something needs to be done. Personally I won't be drinking from reusable bottles filled up by germ spreading bottles but every little bit counts and if everyone did something it would make a huge difference.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:28 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
If this tip helps. I always try and resist the temptation of popping the bottle immediately, and save it for sleep time. The FAs are always more than happy to serve a glass of water alongside any other drink (I have a feeling they appreciate it too as you appear to take care of yourself, and thus they are then proactive with their refills )

Edit: that said i mostly fly with af or lh, and they are well stocked in bottles...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:57 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
I also question how many of the 45 people who liked the first post also opted to pay BA to offset their emissions when they are booking?

I appreciate that's not the point but I do agree something needs to be done. Personally I won't be drinking from reusable bottles filled up by germ spreading bottles but every little bit counts and if everyone did something it would make a huge difference.
I can't believe so many of you can't grasp the very simple fact that carbon emissions and plastic use are VERY different things. Plastic degrades, kills wildlife and ultimately enters our food chain - completely different to carbon emissions.

Although the point that some of you are making (if you are environmentally damaging in some aspects, you might as well damage it in other ways too) is patently absurd, being vegetarian I'm responsible for less emissions than most of you (the meat industry is responsible for way more emissions than the airline industry). Does that mean I'm allowed to want less plastic waste?
Skimo and Talking Penguin like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by callum9999
being vegetarian
You win!!
Sealink, Silver Fox and mpkz like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 6:08 am

Originally Posted by eugegall
You win!!
Well it's not hard when that's the standard of debate you put forward...
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: SQ LPPS, A3 *G, BA Silver aiming for Bronze
I detest the practice of handing out bottles of water particularly in the premium cabins, what's wrong with glasses being refilled?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:47 am
Fontaine d'honneur du Flyertalk

Programs: Reine des Muccis de Pucci; Foreign Elitist (according to others)
I couldn't care less. I know that I am alone in preferring my water to be served in a glass. The bottle I take with me as it can be really helpful to have some in the middle of the night in some hotel where a bottle of water from the mini-bar could cost ££. No, I do not drink tap water knowingly unless I boil it first.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I used to use a small collapsible bladder thing for carrying water when hiking and biking....(not one of those big things you carry on your back with a tube). Folds into nothing when you're not using it and weighs about an ounce.
You lot with lounge access could fill it for free while us without lounge access just go to an airport shop and buy a bottle of water to take on board.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Plat, Eurobonus Silver, ALL Gold
Originally Posted by lhrpete
I detest the practice of handing out bottles of water particularly in the premium cabins, what's wrong with glasses being refilled?
Not everyone wants to empty their glass as soon as its filled.
Not everyone is comfortable to sleep with a filled open cup on their armrest.
Some people would rather have a bottle handy then bother the FA.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.