Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Would you like me to refill your water bottle?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:24 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Originally Posted by WickedStepMother
The practice of re-filling small bottles from a large one has concerned me after I saw it being done on a TG flight some years ago.

A new large bottle was opened and the lip of it was steadied against the lip of my bottle as the re-filling was done. I pointed out that any germs present on my bottle were being transferred to the larger bottle, then would be transferred onwards to other bottles etc. We have tended to crush our empty bottles ever since, to prevent them being refilled.
Do you still fly on commercial planes, or is a private, sterilised jet more to your liking?
travelmad478 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:44 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Am I dissapointed that BA don't have enough bottles of water onboard that refilling a used one is a necessity? Yes
Am I in no way offended and actually like the idea of being offered to refill my bottle to help the environment in what is a gesture which will make very little impact to my life? Also Yes.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:40 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
At the risk of making myself unpopular in yet another threat - but don't you people think it is slightly odd to be concerned over the number of single use water bottles when most of you burn through more co2 emissions in a month than others do in their lifetime?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:50 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: LH HON, BA GGL, AF Plat, EK Plat
Originally Posted by LCY8737
At the risk of making myself unpopular in yet another threat - but don't you people think it is slightly odd to be concerned over the number of single use water bottles when most of you burn through more co2 emissions in a month than others do in their lifetime?
It's all just for show... if it came to something that would actually inconvenience these 'eco' warriors they would quickly go silent.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:51 pm
Suspended

.... most of you burn through more co2 emissions in a month than others do in their lifetime?
....er some maths and assumptions might be useful for clarification.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by richardwft

....er some maths and assumptions might be useful for clarification.
I could try to explain the sophisticated mathematical model I used to come up with that assessment, but in all likelihood that would just waste both our time.
Silver Fox likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:13 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I wish I could just trade them my 500mL bottle for one of the big ones that they use for the drink carts. I drink about a gallon of water in an 8 hour day at work, and flights are even drier air (less humidity) than the Arizona desert!
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:24 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Gig103
flights are even drier air (less humidity) than the Arizona desert!
er, please cite the source you used to support such statement (apparently that's how things are done on this forum)
Silver Fox and florens like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by mario
er, please cite the source you used to support such statement (apparently that's how things are done on this forum)
I guess it's hard to believe for someone in London, with relative humidity in the 80% mark, but it's extremely dry in Phoenix. But here are some citations to quell your curiosity.

"The humidity in aircraft cabins is low, usually less than 20%"
(Source: https://www.who.int/ith/mode_of_travel/chad/en/)

"[Cabin air] has a very low relative humidity, typically 5 to 15%"
(Source: http://www.aircraftcabinmanagement.c...midity-systems)

Average yearly relative humidity (%) Phoenix
Daily: 37%
Morning 47%
Afternoon 23%

(Source: https://www.currentresults.com/Weath...ity-annual.php)

Oh and for some more humidity data:
Phoenix (last chart)
London
LCY8737, Gerbs and LTN Phobia like this.

Last edited by Gig103; Dec 25, 2018 at 10:36 pm
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:40 pm

Originally Posted by Gig103
But here are some citations to quell your curiosity.
Made me chuckle!

Though is it fair to use the Phoenix data for the Arizona desert?
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by rossmacd
I ask for my reusable Sigg bottle to be refilled. This bottle has circled the globe many times over the last couple of years. Absolutely no need whatsoever for additional plastic to be consumed.
^

Thanks for the recommendation - i'm on the hunt for a replacement reusable bottle
rossmacd likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:06 pm

Made me chuckle!

Though is it fair to use the Phoenix data for the Arizona desert?
Why not? Phoenix is definitely within the borders of the Sonoran desert (Source). But even outside the city, humidity rarely dips below those 15% (relative humidity) Dreamliner cabins, and even in "Foresummer" (per the Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum website) with 13% late afternoons, I'm pretty confident that's still above a 777 or 747 cabin.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: ba exec club
Can’t believe it’s a discussion. Of course we shouldn’t be asking for more plastic bottled water.

Refills all the way. No questions.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

I don't see any good eason for refilling the bottles - if someone wants another drink, just pour it into a glass - really, there shouldn't be need for any individual bottles - f the airline started serving other drinks in plastic bottles, there would be complaints about the service
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:19 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
I don't see any good eason for refilling the bottles - if someone wants another drink, just pour it into a glass - really, there shouldn't be need for any individual bottles - f the airline started serving other drinks in plastic bottles, there would be complaints about the service
Except that idiots like me might knock over a glass of water and cause a mess. Bottled water tends to be safer from idiots like me.
Silver Fox likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.