LGW-DBV

Old Dec 24, 2018, 4:35 pm
Original Poster

LGW-DBV

Hi guys

Hoping you can help and that I’ve posted in the right place.

About to to book a holiday to Dubrovnik through BA sale with Club Europe flights in April. Seems there’s two flights out within half an hour of each other. Is one of them an old Monarch flight? If so which am I best taking? When booking it puts me on the later flight but it’s Ł0 to change to the earlier one.

Thanks in in advance for any help.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:04 pm

Which date are you traveĺling? There seems to be a couple of random days (Saturday 6th) where there are two flights 90 mins apart.

CE looks really cost effective too...less than Ł250 return.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 6:57 pm
Original Poster

Looking at Monday 22nd (Easter Monday) - any later and hotel prices in Dubrovnik double.
Old Dec 24, 2018, 11:43 pm
Suspended

If there’s no difference in catering between the flights, take the earlier one and have a bit more holiday.
tynmar likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:26 am

Programs: Executive Club: Gold - Flying Blue: Gold
Just a question on LGW schedules: why are they messy? 2 examples come to my mind:
- Malta goes from 8 weekly in May to 6 in August and there are 2 services on sunday and 2 other days without any service.
- Thessaloniki has 7 flights a week but 2 on a Wednesday departing 10 minutes from each other. No flights on Tuesday.

I thought they could have done better with flight times and days as flights seem to be randomly scheduled. They could have spread the flights evenly to cover most days while having consistent departures times.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:45 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BA6948
Just a question on LGW schedules: why are they messy? 2 examples come to my mind:
- Malta goes from 8 weekly in May to 6 in August and there are 2 services on sunday and 2 other days without any service.
- Thessaloniki has 7 flights a week but 2 on a Wednesday departing 10 minutes from each other. No flights on Tuesday.

I thought they could have done better with flight times and days as flights seem to be randomly scheduled. They could have spread the flights evenly to cover most days while having consistent departures times.
Yeah this is why I’m asking. I read (but didn’t know the veracity of the information) that when Monarch folded BA bought a load of the slots but don’t have the fleet to service them.

As a leisure flyer who is not wise to the ways of BA I wanted to check I wasn’t choosing an inferior flight and not getting VFM on my (very rare) CE flight.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by BA6948
Just a question on LGW schedules: why are they messy?....
They may not be that easy to tidy up following the Monarch acquisition. S20 may be different to S19, but if Norwegian goes bump who knows what might happen.
If they change your flight to be operated by another airline such as Titan Airways, they may give you the option to change to a BA flight free of charge.

Last edited by FlyerTalker39574; Dec 25, 2018 at 2:07 am
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:37 am

Can anybody reccomend a hotel in Dubrovnik for 2 days in march, got return flights to and from here , whilst doing a road trip in Montenegro , Albania , Serbia and Bosnia

TIA
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:48 am
Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Greetings Jimbojumbo and welcome to Flyertalk and the BA Board.

I think I might be the only Ambassador working today so apologies for the late welcome but I do hope you enjoy your time here. I don't have any sage advice for you, or mwp1, but I see other members have chipped in and hopefully more.
mwp1 and Jimbojumbo like this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Thanks PETER! Merry Christmas to you.

I’ve done some further reading and it seems that one or other of the flights will be wet leased via Titan. But as both are showing as BA pre booking I’m not sure which to choose.

As I’ve told the other half this is their Christmas present I’ll just have to hold my nose, choose one of the flights and book and see what comes out the other end.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:15 am

Even if Titan do operate then it's a full BA CE service on a very similar aircraft, so really nothing to worry about
Old Dec 25, 2018, 9:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
I stayed at the Epidaurus Hotel in Cavtat. It’s not the Sofitel but had one of the best holidays there previously It’s a boat ride or taxi to Dubrovnik and a short taxi to the airport. Lots of great restaurants in Cavtat too.
mwp1 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

I’d choose 6.45 instead of 6.15am
Jimbojumbo likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:35 pm

Programs: BAEC gold (silver most of the time), ex-bmi (RIP) ex-silver, and a fistful of Amexes
No advice for the planes, but two items:

Dubrovnik proper: we stayed at an AirBnB, and it was stellar. A lot of the tourists in Dubrovnik are Game of Thrones fans. You can spot them: pale, overweight and wearing black. They aren't good with climbing. And Dubrovnik is very uppy-downy. If you're fit to hike (and it's a great place for walkabout) then you can save a packet on accommodation, get away from the hordes, and get a little exercise at the same time. And the views from higher are better.

Wider: we actually enjoyed Montenegro as much as Dubrovnik, partly because it was less tourist-infested and much much more authentic. We also did the drive in between via the land route into Bosnia, and lunched at a winery that Mrs.Rat found called Podrumi Vukoje 1982. You wouldn't want to stay a week in that town, but for a day on the way though, from a know-your-world sort of perspective, fascinating. Just get your other half to do the driving...partly so you can enjoy the wine at lunch and partly because some of the streets on the way up to Vukoje are a little, well, less than easy.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 3:59 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info - much appreciated. I chose a hotel in Cavtat so out of the way of the cruise crowds and the walk of shamers but close enough to visit the old town a few times. I will be mainly drinking, eating, reading and sunning pale limbs (weather permitting)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.