Multiple same day tickets

Old Dec 24, 2018, 3:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA - Gold
Multiple same day tickets

Hi All,

In a couple of months I have a meeting requiring a flight (LHR>BCN T3) on a Sunday evening. For reasons that are fairly complex it may not happen. I am going to book a MAN>LHR return now with this outbound flight being used whether i head to BCN or not.

If I don't need to go to BCN I will find out pretty late in the day. If this happens I'll switch to T5 and fly home to MAN. Are there any issues with having two flights booked at around the same time for the same person, or is BAIT too simple to pick up on that?

Also, as a bonus, if i canceled the BCN flight (potentially even after check in) could I get a refund? I expect not, but just wondered.

Sorry for the questions but a bit of a confusing one I'm trying to wrap my head around!!!

Merry xmas all!
Old Dec 25, 2018, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
No problem with the two tickets. The question on the refund, however, completely depends on your fare rules. Merry Christmas to you too!
spicysoup likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
You can even have two tickets on the same flight. BA cancels unticketed reservations, but if you ticket (read: pay), then all is good.
spicysoup likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:07 am

Programs: BA Silver
I believe BA is quite different from other airlines (I think eg AA) who actively check bookings for impossible combinations of flights and cancel without warning.
Often1 likes this.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 5:33 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by LCY8737
You can even have two tickets on the same flight. BA cancels unticketed reservations, but if you ticket (read: pay), then all is good.
i think the only issue here is if you try and check in on both tickets for the same flight - I recollect reports of problems under those circumstances.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: BA Gold, Virgin Atlantic Silver
To add another data point: we've actually booked 2x tickets on the same flight, for the same pax, and forgotten to cancel one set (different classes).

BA had no problems collecting the money for both sets of tickets ! Neither was cancelled...
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by fruitcage
I believe BA is quite different from other airlines (I think eg AA) who actively check bookings for impossible combinations of flights and cancel without warning.
AA prohibits duplicate ticketing per its COC. It will auto cancel one or both tickets. UA and DL do this as well.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: BA Silver, AA Gold, A3 Gold, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
AA prohibits duplicate ticketing per its COC. It will auto cancel one or both tickets. UA and DL do this as well.
And on AA at least if the booking system detects the impossible flight combination (often because the FF number is included) then it wont even allow the booking to be made in the first place.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: Skywards Gold, Amex Plat, SkyTeam Silver
Originally Posted by Often1
Are the tickets cancelled and refunded? Or just cancelled?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold & GGL & CCR, HH Diam, Bonvoy Titanium, IHG Spire, Tastecard
Originally Posted by KARFA

i think the only issue here is if you try and check in on both tickets for the same flight - I recollect reports of problems under those circumstances.

I thought two tickets for the same flight was an issue? paging @corporate-wage-slave

I sometimes end up with 2 reservations on the same flight (ticketed) - but usually only for a few minutes as I 'rush' to cancel 'the other one'. Usually doing so off the back of reports and/or 'the oracle' saying that it would cause issues (usually only at some point before the flight).

Last edited by chris1979; Dec 26, 2018 at 4:40 am
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:38 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
In the not so distant past I'd booked a late notice day trip on the app, which unfortunately managed to go through twice (double tapped on the app no doubt)... and ticketed both (took the money twice on my card) - both in my name too but under separate PNR's.

Luckily a quick call to BA managed to cancel one off, but it did make OLCI very difficult for a while - after calling them, the one 'good' booking refused to OLCI on MMB until I'd almost got to the airport, but luckily I had managed to get seats.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:46 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by chris1979
I thought two tickets for the same flight was an issue? paging @corporate-wage-slave
Yes it is and BA may well clear out a reservation in the hours before departure if one looks obviously incorrect (e.g. a double ghost sector from a SABRE originating ticket). In particular you can't have two passengers with the same passport number on international trips to API countries (which includes the UK), FLY stops that at the boarding stage.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 7:45 am

Programs: BA Silver
I think 2 tickets on the same flight can only possibly become an issue for BA when it is certain they refer to the same person. If FF numbers and API are different or missing then the tix may be for different people of the same name.
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:15 pm

Programs: BAEC
Having search and read this thread looking for some advice.

I have an LHR-BNA on the 787 this week. Outbound is a day flight with inbound a night flight.

First time in Y on 787 and read several times on here how tight it is with 9 across. I will survive the day flight but really dont fancy the overnight flight.

Ive booked an avios ticket for the return in WT+ for the overnight. So currently have two tickets for the return sector.

Should call up and cancel the inbound after I land in BNA. Then use the avios ticket to return home?
Old Apr 14, 2023, 12:17 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Yes, you should cancel one of them, preferably no later than when check in opens for the return.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.