Search

Easy Silver

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:06 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Gold is unlikely for now.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 1:35 pm

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by Cabbage
I agree. Just in case others are reading. Its very difficult to achieve Silver.
This is not true. It depends entirely on your circumstances and flying profile.

I achieved Silver after a QR J class return trip ex-UK to the Far East (4 x 140TPs and on BA codeshares) plus a one way CE LHR - Milan (40TPs). It wasn’t difficult. I was lucky that the QR fare was cheap, therefore both trips were under £1000. Even if I had paid a ‘normal’ QR fare, it wouldn’t have been difficult, just more expensive.

I didn’t TP run or manipulate itineraries and all was leisure flying. I was on the lookout for a good Far East fare over the low season and then chose CE rather than ET to get to Milan for a friend’s wedding.

If you’re trying to get to Silver with weekly ET commutes, then I can see why you might think it’s difficult. But there are many other options out there.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 3:41 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by krispy84

This is not true. It depends entirely on your circumstances and flying profile.

I achieved Silver after a QR J class return trip ex-UK to the Far East (4 x 140TPs and on BA codeshares) plus a one way CE LHR - Milan (40TPs). It wasn’t difficult. I was lucky that the QR fare was cheap, therefore both trips were under £1000. Even if I had paid a ‘normal’ QR fare, it wouldn’t have been difficult, just more expensive.

I didn’t TP run or manipulate itineraries and all was leisure flying. I was on the lookout for a good Far East fare over the low season and then chose CE rather than ET to get to Milan for a friend’s wedding.

If you’re trying to get to Silver with weekly ET commutes, then I can see why you might think it’s difficult. But there are many other options out there.
Agreed. I only did shorthaul this year: BOD, AMS, RAK, JMK, DUB, LUX and JER.
Old Dec 25, 2018, 4:17 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Book CE and use AVIOS to downgrade the price of the flight. EG GLA-LGW return £160 in ET. Book CE and it is £220 and use miles to get the price down 80 TP's instead of 10TPs.

A few of these go a long way. I never had one J long haul flight but I get 3,600TP's last year and I'm on 1100 since Oct by using the fare system like this. :-)
Old Dec 25, 2018, 11:07 pm

Programs: BA Silver, PR Elite, Avis Preferred Plus, PC Diamond Ambassador
38,400 Miles - only 250 Tier points and 10 months in to TP year

Originally Posted by FrogTastic

Agreed. I only did shorthaul this year: BOD, AMS, RAK, JMK, DUB, LUX and JER.
Even long haul can be tricky to yield meaningful tier points and avios with the current system.

I have done 6 HKG to Man trips this TP year. One was WTP on BA and others were AY (OW) and QR in Y, Via HEL and DOH so yielding a whole 10 points more than BA via LHR. Or twice as many as the miserly 20 points on CX direct last month. Amusingly my 3 day Avis car hire with the Black Friday bonus yielded over 2X as many Avios as the flights on that trip!

But not complaining thanks to FT I know the rules. Most years I see a J offer on QR or AY and re qualify for Silver easily. This year the price difference has been crazy for my dates - and I have spent just about £2K to date.

I do have a fairly soft set of options to qualify by the end of my TP year. I'm mostly Macau SAR based. A trip over to Taipei then MH J to BKK via KUL will yield an easy and cheap 360 - and I need to visit both cities.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 2:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by GlasgowCyclops
Book CE and use AVIOS to downgrade the price of the flight. EG GLA-LGW return £160 in ET. Book CE and it is £220 and use miles to get the price down 80 TP's instead of 10TPs.

A few of these go a long way. I never had one J long haul flight but I get 3,600TP's last year and I'm on 1100 since Oct by using the fare system like this. :-)
From someone who managed to achieve Gold purely on short haul - mainly on HBO fares with POUG or AUG - or using Avios to discount I class CE fares - I know this works, but it's a LOT of sectors.
At one point I was wondering if I needed joint residency for Jersey and Amsterdam!
GlasgowCyclops and FrogTastic like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:51 am

Can I add my thanks to the many on here. I, like many on here I assume, enjoy the flying around but struggle to justify flying just for the sake of it.
Thanks to the many tips on here I recently completed my first long haul solo trip with AMS-LHR-HKG-BKK-SIN-LHR-AMS in J as a holiday (many stopovers) visiting the three Asian cities. This allowed me to be promoted to silver, the first ‘status’ I’ve ever held in the airline world. Having flown a fair bit with the family previously I’m just getting into doing solo trips in the last few years, visiting many cities around Europe. I’ve had a few short experiences of J travel but that was my first long haul. It’s true that once you get the bug of travelling up front it’s hard to go back!
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:00 am

Programs: BA Gold / OW Emerald
I am a victim of the easy gold. I got to silver with decently priced CE flights, but then with a trip coming up to Montreal I got good advice and pushed 720 tier points out of it, making it most of the way to gold for only a few hundred quid more than the cost of economy flights
FrogTastic likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.