Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners are going downhill

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am

Programs: Mucci de Guardian des Celliers des Grands Crus 1e Classé, plus BAEC.
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Its typical of everyday life I'm afraid. Everything is downhill.
​​​​​​The iPhone generation stuggle to look beyond themselves. Everything is done for how they look. A sorry state of affairs. Anything questioned is 'shaming'. Yes, things are going backwards, even in the lounge. Decency is rare it seems.
Infant mortality rate, cancer prognosis, absolute poverty, frequency and affordability of air travel? Everything is most definitely not downhill.

Yes things are different today than, say, 30/40 years ago. Objectively, some better and some worse. But a doomsday, Daily Mail style, moan that everything is worse is completely and utterly wrong.

But then perhaps I’m just a self-centred millennial who doesn’t care about anyone other than myself, and is in no way looked down on and condescended by the old g**s in the corner.

Rant over.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Stay civil towards others please, or you will cause the thread to be closed, which would be rather discourteous and quite selfish to inflict upon others.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Indeed....otherwise known as manners.

These type of threads appear regularly on here. Frankly, this incident is nothing to get too het up about compared to what I encounter in everyday life.
fripperies and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:26 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by krispy84

Infant mortality rate, cancer prognosis, absolute poverty, frequency and affordability of air travel? Everything is most definitely not downhill.

Yes things are different today than, say, 30/40 years ago. Objectively, some better and some worse. But a doomsday, Daily Mail style, moan that everything is worse is completely and utterly wrong.

But then perhaps I’m just a self-centred millennial who doesn’t care about anyone other than myself, and is in no way looked down on and condescended by the old g**s in the corner.

Rant over.
I acknowledge that there is always a counter view.
When I said 'everything' I did so in the context of everyday interactions that people have with one another - I definitely did not have infant mortality in mind or other such subjects. I did not expect a misunderstanding and for this I apologise.

I do not believe that the daily mail is always right in its view and the media does have a lot to answer for - it is very much about sensationalism. Unfortunately even the BBC website that, one may consider impartial, produce articles pf low quality and brash bias.

While anyone can be selfish and inconsiderate, of all age groups, it is very difficult to ignore people with a phone in one hand taking centre stage, 'booming' or should I say broadcasting! Whether I want to be involved or not, it is a photo here, a video there, and facetime too. Do these people ever think that the people besides them would like to be left undisturbed and not in the background as unpaid extras? I have friends who suffer tremendously from anxiety and other conditions, who find travel difficult and the unruly behaviour by loud mouths and the inconsiderate seem so unnecessary. Often these types go hand in hand, like hand in glove. I find this very sad where people are too intimidated to speak up today. Just because people don't say anything, doesn't mean it's ok to put your dirty feet on furniture, or shout across rooms, etc. We've all experienced this behaviour before, and I'm sorry I think it's become more common.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 10:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Regarded as total and utter snob amongst the BAEC community.
How do peoples manners compare in other airlines lounges not just BAs, better, worse or same?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Silver
Originally Posted by icegirl
How do peoples manners compare in other airlines lounges not just BAs, better, worse or same?
I am not as well traveled as some on this board, but it seems to me that it varies based on lounge location as a primary factor. On the other hand, many things I have read in the DYKWIA thread are also things I’ve witnessed in other lounges in other locations with other airlines.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 12:48 pm

Programs: BA Gold; FB Silver; SPG; IHG Gold
In my experience there isn't actually much variation according to location- the proportion of rude/ignorant people seems to be about the same wherever I go. I should add, as it's the season of goodwill, that it's always a very small percentage and the vast majority of lounge users are perfectly fine and decent. Also I've never encountered any truly vile behaviour, just the occasional inconsiderate use of mobile phones or communal lounge space- behaviour that you see in other situations as well.
AnaTravel likes this.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
I would absolutely do it - see an earlier thread from around September when I happily stood up to someone hogging something in the T5 lounge to the exclusion of all other passengers in the vicinity. It is the only language some selfish oafs understand and am a firm believer if more people stood up to these individuals they might just modify their behaviour and realise there are other people on the planet apart from themselves.

I have never been involved in a conflict either with anyone. I think they maybe realised they were doing wrong and it took another person to take a firm line. More should stand up to people like this, I really recommend it. Happy Christmas ^
I didn't mean that to come across as saying you're "all mouth, no trousers" - just that I didn't (and don't) think the intervention would be as effective as you imagine.

That seems to be a completely different scenario. In yours, the person may or may not have known they were in the wrong, then stopped doing it when someone else vocally informed them. In this case, the person knows they were wrong, knows the people around them know they're doing something wrong and chose to ignore objections. I know it seems pretty similar, but that's an enormous difference when it comes to human behaviour.

I still maintain that acting like you suggest would have resolved nothing and possibly result in escalated aggression.

​​​​​​
​​
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by callum9999
I still maintain that acting like you suggest would have resolved nothing and possibly result in escalated aggression.
I agree.
Then again, I don't sweat the small stuff as life is too short.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 4:27 pm
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
I disagree. In the OP's situation, moving the items back on to their table clears your own table. Personally have never had a situation escalate, it is simply about saying something in an assertive manner (not an aggressive manner) and maintaining eye contact.

People get away with selfish "me, me ,me" behaviour only if others let them. IMHO they usually do back down if someone stands up to them. I thoroughly recommend it - just be assertive
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK

​​
Absolutely. Confrontation might be cathartic to the chastiser but it is very unlikely to provide any longer term behavioural change in the perpetrator. Indeed there's the possibility of reinforcing anti-social behaviour in reaction to the intervention of an authority figure.

The perpetrators most certainly understand that their actions are not "correct", but simply don't care too much about such niceties. Confronting them and chastising them is far more likely to lead to conflict than to any change in behaviour.

Comforting to the confronter, but likely to mark him as just a little bit out of control himself.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 5:16 pm

Programs: Mucci, Diamond Status & on the Supreme Council des Conseillers, BA Ag, Bonvoy GFL/Plat, xVS Au
Originally Posted by IAN-UK
Absolutely. Confrontation might be cathartic to the chastiser but it is very unlikely to provide any longer term behavioural change in the perpetrator. Indeed there's the possibility of reinforcing anti-social behaviour in reaction to the intervention of an authority figure.

The perpetrators most certainly understand that their actions are not "correct", but simply don't care too much about such niceties. Confronting them and chastising them is far more likely to lead to conflict than to any change in behaviour.

Comforting to the confronter, but likely to mark him as just a little bit out of control himself.
So what is the best solution in such a situation in order to ideally elicit a behavioural change?
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:08 pm

Programs: AC P25
Its typical of everyday life I'm afraid. Everything is downhill.
​​​​​​The iPhone generation stuggle to look beyond themselves. Everything is done for how they look. A sorry state of affairs. Anything questioned is 'shaming'. Yes, things are going backwards, even in the lounge. Decency is rare it seems.
While anyone can be selfish and inconsiderate, of all age groups, it is very difficult to ignore people with a phone in one hand taking centre stage, 'booming' or should I say broadcasting! Whether I want to be involved or not, it is a photo here, a video there, and facetime too. Do these people ever think that the people besides them would like to be left undisturbed and not in the background as unpaid extras? I have friends who suffer tremendously from anxiety and other conditions, who find travel difficult and the unruly behaviour by loud mouths and the inconsiderate seem so unnecessary. Often these types go hand in hand, like hand in glove. I find this very sad where people are too intimidated to speak up today. Just because people don't say anything, doesn't mean it's ok to put your dirty feet on furniture, or shout across rooms, etc. We've all experienced this behaviour before, and I'm sorry I think it's become more common.
I generally see this type boorish behaviour in self important, overweight middle aged men and women. Most in the “iPhone generation” - whatever that is - are sitting quietly in a corner texting with headphones in. It’s the self important business types of a certain age that scream into their phones and bluetooths in the middle of crowded areas oblivious to others, or blocking up aisles or cutting queues.

See, I can generalize too. Now we can both be wrong.

Idiots come in all shapes, sizes, colours and ages. It’s usually jealousy (of youth for example) that makes people generalize like that.

Last edited by yytleisure; Dec 26, 2018 at 8:13 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:32 pm

Originally Posted by gliderpilot

So what is the best solution in such a situation in order to ideally elicit a behavioural change?
In that specific example, the best solution is what they did - express annoyance at their behaviour then recognise that further confrontation isn't going to achieve anything so just get on with their day.

The only way to elicit change in those individuals is if you have power over them (i.e. the lounge attendant can tell them to resolve the issue or get out). It's incredibly annoying, but there simply isn't a solution to every issue.
​​​​​​
​​​​
Old Dec 26, 2018, 8:34 pm

Originally Posted by BOH
I disagree. In the OP's situation, moving the items back on to their table clears your own table. Personally have never had a situation escalate, it is simply about saying something in an assertive manner (not an aggressive manner) and maintaining eye contact.

People get away with selfish "me, me ,me" behaviour only if others let them. IMHO they usually do back down if someone stands up to them. I thoroughly recommend it - just be assertive
If you genuinely believe the kind of person who would dump dishes on your table and then ignore your protest over it will just sit back and do nothing if you moved them back, I think we have wildly differing views on human behaviour!

Though perhaps you misread the original point? They did stand up to them but were dismissed. I agree you should attempt to rectify the behaviour, but if your first attempt is rebuffed I see nothing productive in trying a second or third time.
Old Dec 26, 2018, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Hilton, IHG - BA, GA, LH, QR, SV, TK
Originally Posted by gliderpilot

In a casual one-off encounter the chances of eliciting meaningful behavioural change are close to zero. Unless you are Jesus or something close.

But an attitude tolerant of the failings of others is likely more successful than aggressive confrontation.

In the situation described, simply move the stuff to an empty table. The action will be noted, and a seed just might be sown in the minds of the perpetrators.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.