Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners are going downhill

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Manners are going downhill

Having a little vent. We are in the very busy business lounge T5 Heathrow. I was getting some food and 2 passengers sat down opposite while my husband was in his seat reading. They proceeded to move every piece of detritus from their table to the table between my seat and another empty seat. My husband tried politely to tell them to take back the detritus as they were perhaps not aware the seat was occupied and ask for someone to clear their table if required. They simply refused and looked annoyed at us! so we asked for the table to be cleared. Not a huge deal in the scheme of things but manners in the lounges seem to be going downhill

mini rant over

happy Xmas
Silver Fox and aidy like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:38 am

Programs: QRPC Platinum, KFEG
Ah Christmas, the time to be grateful and spend it with our loved ones but not before we act like animals one last time on various means of transportation.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BA Silver; IHG Spire; Avis P+; Global Entry
Not good, head to the b lounge it’s pretty quiet and clean here
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:57 am

Why does an example of bad manners have to be seen as a sign of things "going downhill" rather than just... an example of bad manners?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:03 am

Programs: SPG-Plat, Hilton-Diamond, Club Carlson-Silver, Cathay-Diamond, Virgin-Gold
Originally Posted by Ldnn1
Why does an example of bad manners have to be seen as a sign of things "going downhill" rather than just... an example of bad manners?
While I understand where your coming from unfortunately I would side with the Op in the sense these types of things seem more and more common than they used to be. While not everyones experience will be the same I do fell manners and general giving thought for fellow travellers is certainly getting worse over the years! It isn't a new slope, its one that started many years ago in y opinion and isn't limited to travelling!

Well done to the Op for not simply moving it all back!
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:13 am

Programs: BA Silver, HH Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by aidy
Not good, head to the b lounge it’s pretty quiet and clean here
After sitting in the terminal with a group on the now delayed cus something drive into it Manchester flight, the b lounge is a pure oasis of calm.

Just about to go get a massage.
aidy and tynmar like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:23 am

Programs: BA Silver IHG Platinum Elite
Look on the bright side, you weren't attempting the journey from Crawley airport
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

We usually clear away our own mess instead of leaving it for staff to clear up. Of course there are those who would argue about having to do such a thing when travelling on a ticket that costs thousands.
MaxFlyer and kaffir76 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:42 am

Programs: BA GGL, TK E (*G), ITA exec
Originally Posted by HIDDY
We usually clear away our own mess instead of leaving it for staff to clear up. Of course there are those who would argue about having to do such a thing when travelling on a ticket that costs thousands.
I like to clean after myself too, but I have to say sometimes there is no place where leave dishes, glasses, etc.
I would like lounges to have a specific collect point/cart... it would be easier for both staff and customers.

That said, rude people is everywhere, be in a lounge, on a train, on the road and so on.
Crampedin13A likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:05 am

Why not just move it back to their table?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:22 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Joys of living in Asia... There’s someone who’s job it is to clear the table and the loss of face that results from clearing your own table and making that person look incompetent in their duties usually results in that staff member coming running to take the trash out of your hand and their supervisor appearing shortly after to apologise.
NoY and geerat like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:52 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by HIDDY
And you obviously do it in restaurants too.
lhrpete and NoY like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 11:33 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Takiteasy

But only if buying a meal that ‘costs thousands’
Takiteasy likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

Self service ones it's usually the norm.
offtothehills likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:25 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
They should implement the system they have at JL lounges - provide somewhere to dump the used plates/cutlery as well as people clearing up the table.

It makes things much easier. The OP could have said "The place where you can dump your plates etc. is over there, not here" then.

Last edited by LTN Phobia; Dec 22, 2018 at 7:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.