Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Manners are going downhill

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:29 am

Originally Posted by UKTraveller4Fun
Well on this one I struggle to see any evidence to the opposite! Generally all the evidence I see is that people are far less considerate for others than they used to be!
That's my entire point, people see what they want to see. Crime is a perfect example. It's irrefutably much safer now than it was a generation ago, but try telling that to many people and they'll say the same - "well I don't see any evidence for that".

​​​​​​​
Originally Posted by RollAnotherFatOne
Of course it can work both ways, but there is a clear bias. The ratio I've experienced is about 10:1.
I can see why they would become intolerant and frustrated by this and want to vent.
An absolutely perfect example of why your anecdote is meaningless. I'd have thought someone in the "Saga generation" would know by now that anecdotes are a million miles away from being fact!
yytleisure likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA, JAL
Originally Posted by callum9999

An absolutely perfect example of why your anecdote is meaningless. I'd have thought someone in the "Saga generation" would know by now that anecdotes are a million miles away from being fact!
A fact is something true. An experience I had is true. I'm unclear as to why you are struggling with this concept. Regards.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:10 am

A fact is something true. An experience I had is true. I'm unclear as to why you are struggling with this concept. Regards.
Genuinely not the response I expected... I thought it was common knowledge that anecdotes cannot be used as evidence.

Likewise, I'm unclear as to why you feel your personal experience can be extrapolated to the entire human race.
yytleisure likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:20 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by amt

By stood up to... you mean the guy that felt someone was using too many plugs, charging too many devices, so passive aggressively waited for them to turn their back and decided it was in their remit to interfer with their property.
You got it in one, it had the desired effect so desired result achieved.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 5:52 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Originally Posted by BOH

You got it in one, it had the desired effect so desired result achieved.
Yes it did... the desired effect being it made him feel a certain way.

At at least until he came round here attempting to solicit support or kudos from others. Then it backfired spectacularly...
Old Dec 27, 2018, 6:41 am

Programs: AC P25
You have your opinion for sure, but you can also be sure many people do not agree in this jealousy of youth (myth). That is a remarkably outrageous claim. I cannot think of much that people would be jealous of. Certainly this does not pre-dispose itself in being irritated by people broadcasting their bad manners! I am not jealous of any young people today, who I accept face some bigger challenges than previous generations - income, social media, sensationalism, housing, etc. But decency should not be limited by the fact that if people aren't "called up on it" (a horrible phrase used by the youth today), then the assumption is that their behaviour is acceptable.

But then with the current flock of celebrities as role models, how can one expect the right manners. There is even a youtuber with a million subscribers going around asking for free food in London as a 'hack' or ;challenge'! The video has 95% positive votes (from his young fan base) as if to say this is a great thing to do that he is doing. Taking food that would otherwise be left for homeless people? Recording people in their place of work and making them uncomfortable by asking these questions? A different generation of person. In my day, people would have pride and not see this behaviour as something remarkable that should be broadcast. For someone of my generation this behaviour seems very arrogant and unjust, but nowadays people are celebrating it and making money from it. Similarly, I watched a video at the weekend of parkour on Paris rooftops where kids enjoy jumping over hundreds of rooftops. Making money and enjoying it at the expense of hundreds of others (hearing this jumping on their roof) is how the young seem to be.

It is true that the self-important business type person who must get his (or her) way is common and this behaviour is also poor. But I can reason with this type of person because I can see it as someone living their job and being taken out of their person. Someone simply being disruptive so that people can see them, and then mocking others in public, or being intimidating, this is a different tale. One is deliberately making someone uncomfortable and not caring, the other is someone stressed by their work.

Taking all the above in consideration, how can it be a surprise when this behaviour shows itself in the lounge. The only thing I can do is try to stay away from interactions with this type. But I can certainly emphathise with others in what I see is a modern trend of people being inconsiderate, whether as a result of someone young, middle aged, or old.
Bolding mine. It’s remarkably outrageous to claim the ills of the world on the younger generation. Who, pray tell, raised them? The world of today is shaped by the generation of yesterday, so take a good look in the mirror before blaming it onto crazy kids.

My point is that there are idiots and boors of all ages. There are many respectful, well mannered “iPhone generation” kids, and plenty of older fools. Just because some people haven’t changed with the world, doesn’t mean anyone who has is poor mannered.

I bet when when you were young, you never once felt like the older generation didn’t understand you, or thought that some of your youth crazes were ill mannered and off putting, or that they said things like “in my day...” and it annoyed the crap outta you. Instead of recycling the same, tired generational beefs, maybe try working to break them down.
Kgmm77 likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 7:53 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by amt

Yes it did... the desired effect being it made him feel a certain way.

At at least until he came round here attempting to solicit support or kudos from others. Then it backfired spectacularly...
On the contrary. It was about 50:50. The desired effect was a number of other pax in the lounge got to use the resource that was being hogged by one person. How it was achieved is a long distant second place to the result. If you don't agree how it was done then that is your problem. Happy New Year ^

Last edited by BOH; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:01 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by callum9999
Genuinely not the response I expected... I thought it was common knowledge that anecdotes cannot be used as evidence.

Likewise, I'm unclear as to why you feel your personal experience can be extrapolated to the entire human race.
I write this as simply as possible to prevent a further misunderstanding. My experience is true and like everyone else it shapes my view of the world. Why do you believe there must be some empirical evidence to back this up? I continually see the same thing, including on the train into London this morning. Why do I need to even think about extrapolating this when it's so prevalent in lounges and elsewhere. It's not my imagination...! Once upon a time, this patterned behaviour was not present. These people didn't have mobile phones back then. Maybe they were inconsiderate too, but it wasn't so blatant. Best regards, randolph
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:42 am

Programs: AC P25
Your experiences are real. The “facts” you are extrapolating from them are not. I’m unclear why you are struggling with this concept despite various explanations.

I hear your frustration, and the world is certainly different than it used to be, and in another decade it will be different again. But to use your own value lens to see it in a certain shade doesnt make your interpretation fact.

im enjoying this conversation, it’s fascinating how people view the world. I hope you’re not offput.

Last edited by yytleisure; Dec 27, 2018 at 8:44 am Reason: Oops
Old Dec 27, 2018, 9:38 am

Please:

"fact
/fakt/
noun
  1. a thing that is known or proved to be true"
my experiences of which I write, are facts to me. They are the reality I experience. Nothing has been extrapolated. I added some color to back up what I was saying. I don't say every experience I've had in the past is the same as future or that anyone else's are the same as mine - that would be extrapolating. Good grief. Perhaps a good place to stop this conversation. Best wishes to all.

Last edited by RollAnotherFatOne; Dec 27, 2018 at 9:46 am
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:06 pm

I write this as simply as possible to prevent a further misunderstanding. My experience is true and like everyone else it shapes my view of the world. Why do you believe there must be some empirical evidence to back this up? I continually see the same thing, including on the train into London this morning. Why do I need to even think about extrapolating this when it's so prevalent in lounges and elsewhere. It's not my imagination...! Once upon a time, this patterned behaviour was not present. These people didn't have mobile phones back then. Maybe they were inconsiderate too, but it wasn't so blatant. Best regards, randolph
No need to write simply, writing accurately is much better.

No matter how you want to word it, your anecdotes DO NOT accurately describe an entire society. You can make the point that the people you see act like that, you can not make the point that people in general act like that - which is what you did.

You've always required empirical evidence if you want your point to be taken seriously.
tenn_ace likes this.
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:38 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think that's enough arguing.

EVERYONE, no matter what age, should act courteously and with consideration towards others, in the absence of extenuating circumstances, including on FlyerTalk forum.

Thread closed.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.