Wiki Posts
Search

BA compensation levels

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:17 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
BA compensation levels

Is anybody able to give me an idea of what the standard compensation levels are for a broken seat in J?

Just out of curiosity and to see how it compares as last night I had a defective seat (would not recline) on a Finnair A330 overnight flight and was offered 3 options after the purser could not get it going:

1. €200 prepaid MasterCard
2. €300 Finnair e-voucher
3. 40,000 Avios (for Finnair Plus members only)

I accepted the prepaid MasterCard as I generally don’t fly Finnair.

Luckily I was able to get the seat to recline manually after pulling out a credit card from the mechanism and in the end got 7 hours sleep.

I thought it was pretty good service recovery to offer this onboard immediately especially as I was able to fix it, just wondering what other airlines offer.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:44 pm

I got 40,000 Avios last time it happened to me on BA - I think that was in 2017, or it may have been early 2018 - I can't remember exactly
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:53 pm

40.000 Avios
Ł350.00 EVouchers
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:31 pm

For a non-functioning and non-reclining seat the compensation is 80,000 avios
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:52 pm

Programs: MUCCI Classe des Flatteurs Preferes, LH SEN, BA silver, IHG Plat Amb, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by haroon145
For a non-functioning and non-reclining seat the compensation is 80,000 avios
Is this only when they can't move you to a fully functioning seat?
(I had to move seats when mine wouldn't recline at all and I was moved to another seat and it didn't cross my mind to ask for compensation, but just checking I didn't miss lots of avois)
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:33 am

What happens where the traveller doesn't collect Avios or want an evoucher?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 12:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Bronze
So it looks like BA is actually better on the e-voucher terms. Does anybody know if they offer a cash alternative?

I am slightly surprised as I had an excellent overall experience with the Finnair product, both soft and hard elements (minus the non reclining seat).

I travelled four legs, of which 3 were on an A350. The hard product is fantastic but the whole cabin looks a bit boring in beige.

Anyway, overall I would definitely consider Finnair over BA direct to Asia as the cost reduction (in my opinion) makes the quick connect in Helsinki well worth it.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 1:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by daniel1
So it looks like BA is actually better on the e-voucher terms. Does anybody know if they offer a cash alternative?
No, BA don't offer cash alternatives to this tier of compensation. There may be occasional exceptions but it's basically best to take the Avios, and the e-voucher is essentially for non BAEC members. It is only paid if the cabin is full and there is no alternative seat, and it is - or should be - initiated by the senior cabin crew member on their iPad.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:23 am

Programs: BA Gold
You were lucky to be offered any compensation at all. I had a glass of red wine tipped into my lap by a flight attendant and was told to send the dry cleaning bill to BA. No compensation for being soaked to the skin for several hours and arriving with an enormous stain on my white trousers. My polite request for a more generous gesture was denied
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:34 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Do day time and night time flights attract the same level of compensation?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 3:38 am

Originally Posted by onchanman
You were lucky to be offered any compensation at all. I had a glass of red wine tipped into my lap by a flight attendant and was told to send the dry cleaning bill to BA. No compensation ...
BA states that a long-haul business class seat will recline. Nowhere on their advertising or contract does it say they won't pour wine all over you
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:59 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by adrianlondon
Nowhere on their advertising or contract does it say they won't pour wine all over you
Watch out for a new optional extra to be introduced in the new year after customer feedback
adrianlondon likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:32 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Watch out for a new optional extra to be introduced in the new year after customer feedback
Silver and above only, I would guess.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Originally Posted by Irreverent Medusa
Silver = BA chooes the wine to be spilt over you
Gold: You choose the wine!!

Regards

TBS
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:31 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hotels.com Gold
Originally Posted by onchanman
You were lucky to be offered any compensation at all. I had a glass of red wine tipped into my lap by a flight attendant and was told to send the dry cleaning bill to BA. No compensation for being soaked to the skin for several hours and arriving with an enormous stain on my white trousers. My polite request for a more generous gesture was denied
Purely out of interest... Should
you have been involved in an accident with a crew member and the fault laid with you. Say, for example, you tripped them in the aisle. Would you offer them anything?

​​​​​​

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.