Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAG amenity kit items while transiting LHR

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:07 pm
Original Poster

LAG amenity kit items while transiting LHR

Flying CW into T5 and needing to connect to a flight out of T5, I was wondering what I should do with the unused or partially used amenities (toothpaste, lip balm, moisturiser) from the long haul flight. Do I just leave them in the black White Company pouch? Or must I remove them from said pouch and securing them in the transparent LAG bags before putting them through the scanner?

Knowing how strict those T5 folks are at the scanning machine (I was once delayed by their ridiculous insistence to put an almost empty 50 ml tube of hotel moisturiser found in my jacket pocket and then rescan it!) hence don’t care for a repeat of the situation.

Which got me thinking. What do people normally do with their BA (or non BA) amenity kit leftover LAGs when transiting LHR generally?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
If you want to be totally safe you’re supposed to remove liquids and add to plastic bag. Some airlines even say that onboard. In about 10% of cases at lhr things may still get checked manually if you forget to do so.

there is a lengthy thread on what people do with their unused amenity bags somewhere (ranging from cable bags to gifts for guests and eBay if I remember)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:32 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAman Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by carrotjuice
Flying CW into T5 and needing to connect to a flight out of T5, I was wondering what I should do with the unused or partially used amenities (toothpaste, lip balm, moisturiser) from the long haul flight. Do I just leave them in the black White Company pouch? Or must I remove them from said pouch and securing them in the transparent LAG bags before putting them through the scanner?

Knowing how strict those T5 folks are at the scanning machine (I was once delayed by their ridiculous insistence to put an almost empty 50 ml tube of hotel moisturiser found in my jacket pocket and then rescan it!) hence don’t care for a repeat of the situation.

Which got me thinking. What do people normally do with their BA (or non BA) amenity kit leftover LAGs when transiting LHR generally?
personally, i just put them in the transparent bag, I really can't be bothered with a rescan.

I always do this at LHR, but never in certain places like DOH where they seem very lax about liquids.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:08 am

Every time I transit through LHR, I get delayed by the manual screening of the amenity kit. I keep forgetting. Definitely use the clear plastic bag.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
+1 for putting it in the clear plastic bag. It just prevents any problems going forward. It may take a few mins to get your bag down from the locker, take the amenity items out of their bag and then put them in your clear bag, but could save you time when being scanned.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:21 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
When you go through security at LHR, LGW or EDI, always grab a couple of extra clear bags and let them fester at the bottom of your HBO item, they always come in useful when you least expect, and the bags there are surprisingly sturdy. You can usually pick up a few directly at the end of security, there is usually a small metallic pot of them, taped to a pole at the end of the line.
fluffymitten and squawk like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:31 am

Programs: BA GOLD
Originally Posted by orbitmic
If you want to be totally safe you’re supposed to remove liquids and add to plastic bag. Some airlines even say that onboard. In about 10% of cases at lhr things may still get checked manually if you forget to do so.

there is a lengthy thread on what people do with their unused amenity bags somewhere (ranging from cable bags to gifts for guests and eBay if I remember)
I normally place them in a clear plastic bag but last time I forgot (oh dear I can hear the groans now) the security staff were fine and allowed me to take them out - their previous passenger was HBO and was a total DYKWIA and complained when they went through his bag in minute detail having found three clear plastic bag loads of toiletries and numerous separate over the limit liquids. I think they were happy when I said please and thank you rather than throw a hissy fit.

I keep all of my amenity kits/hotel bits and bobs and this Wednesday took a full carrier bag load to the local Salvation Army.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I rarely want to keep the contents of the amenity kits but do keep the bags if they're nice enough / convenient shape or size.

+1 for keeping a liquids bag handy in case you do like the products or are planning on regifting the kit.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 5:55 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
I once got 2 amenity kits in F connecting to an EU flight. I just walked airside and through security in the First Wing, where I asked an employee whether they would allow them through without opening them, and I was told to just take the amenity kits out of my trolley and put them next to it. That caused no issues, and I got them through with no extra screening.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 7:29 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
I once got 2 amenity kits in F connecting to an EU flight. I just walked airside and through security in the First Wing, where I asked an employee whether they would allow them through without opening them, and I was told to just take the amenity kits out of my trolley and put them next to it. That caused no issues, and I got them through with no extra screening.
Good to know. Indeed sometimes you’d want to give them as gifts and they won’t be nice anymore once they’ve been opened.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 8:55 am

I’ve taken them through security unopened several times and never had any issues, but obviously YMMV. I’m not sure there’s even enough liquid in some of the items for it to register!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 9:05 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
From the scanner point of view, I doubt most amenity kits look much different from a correctly-sized liquids bag with liquids in it. So taking them out separately and asking staff if you "can put these amenity kids through like this?" may well work (the staff member on the front end thinks it's OK, the scanner operator sees liquids-in-separate-small-bag and thinks it's OK) would be the way to go. If the staff quibble, then accept their decision and transfer liquid contents to the one liquids bag.

The scanner operator mainly detects "liquids mixed with other things" and "very oversize liquids" (and many other non liquid things). The front-end staff detect "more than one bag of liquids" and "slightly oversize liquids". So if the front end staff are OK with the amenity kits as separated items, the scanner operator will likely find nothing wrong either.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:10 pm

Just don't try it at MAN. This would definitely be a step too far and overload the security teams thought processes to the point you wish you'd never bothered.
:D! and twincheeks like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:14 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Not sure if there’s a typo or just my ignorance but LAG anyone?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:22 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/CCR, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Originally Posted by fruitcage
Not sure if there’s a typo or just my ignorance but LAG anyone?
https://www.icao.int/Security/SFP/LA...s/default.aspx

Although the OP is really only referring to the see-through plastic bag that we use for liquids.
fruitcage likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.