Booking AA with Avios

Old Dec 20, 18, 5:43 pm
  #1  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Posts: 1,773
Booking AA with Avios

Hi All

Looking at flights on AA to Albany, NY and it's coming back at 57500 aa miles, can anyone tell me what this equates to in Avios?
mdj1 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:44 pm
  #2  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Brighton. UK
Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
Posts: 10,853
without a starting point it's hard to say.
UKtravelbear is online now  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:45 pm
  #3  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Posts: 1,773
Ahh, didn't realise it differed.

London.
mdj1 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:47 pm
  #4  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: MEL CHC
Posts: 14,479
That 57,000 may be an AA anytime AA award. Or business class?
You need to find AA saver award availability to use BA avios
Mwenenzi is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:49 pm
  #5  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Posts: 1,773
Business/First MileSAAver
mdj1 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:50 pm
  #6  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,693
Well, examples for BAEC pricing include 18JAN19
LHR-PHL
PHL-ALB
is available in economy on AA for 27500 Avios + $ 329.14.

On 1JAN19
LHR-IAD
IAD-ALB
is available in business on BA/AA for 67,500 Avios + $ 554.21.

Last edited by jerry a. laska; Dec 20, 18 at 5:56 pm
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 5:51 pm
  #7  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Posts: 1,773
How do you work out how many avios it is?
mdj1 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:01 pm
  #8  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Location: Juneau, Alaska.
Posts: 12,693
Originally Posted by mdj1 View Post
How do you work out how many avios it is?
Dummy bookings but you can figure it out yourself using the chart here:
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/29235581-post3.html

The 1JAN19 flight is 60,000 + 7500= 67,500
jerry a. laska is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:02 pm
  #9  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Leeds, UK
Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Posts: 26,719
Originally Posted by mdj1 View Post
How do you work out how many avios it is?
have a read of the sticky thread on spending avios, itís all explained there
KARFA is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:28 pm
  #10  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,578
Originally Posted by jerry a. laska View Post
Well, examples for BAEC pricing include 18JAN19
LHR-PHL
PHL-ALB
is available in economy on AA for 27500 Avios + $ 329.14.

On 1JAN19
LHR-IAD
IAD-ALB
is available in business on BA/AA for 67,500 Avios + $ 554.21.
AA does not offer IAD-ALB nonstop or direct service. There's probably an airport change from IAD to DCA.
Yoshi212 likes this.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 6:45 pm
  #11  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Not here; there!
Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Posts: 21,578
Depending on Business Class redemption availability on the date that the OP will be traveling, he might also consider flying into EWR or JFK, taking the train to Penn Station Manhattan, and then taking one of the several daily Amtrak services from Manhattan to Albany/Rensselaer station. The train ride typically takes just 2.5 hours, and is usually reasonably priced. Plus, the OP would save 7,500 Avios. In my mind, that would be a better alternative than flying LHR-IAD, and then having to connect to DCA-ALB.
guv1976 is offline  
Old Dec 20, 18, 7:15 pm
  #12  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Programs: Just a lowly Blue ;(
Posts: 1,773
Thanks for the heads up on the train option, hadnít considered that. Cheers.
mdj1 is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:41 am
  #13  
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Dublin
Programs: EI AC Silver, BAEC Gold
Posts: 346
Originally Posted by guv1976 View Post
Depending on Business Class redemption availability on the date that the OP will be traveling, he might also consider flying into EWR or JFK, taking the train to Penn Station Manhattan, and then taking one of the several daily Amtrak services from Manhattan to Albany/Rensselaer station. The train ride typically takes just 2.5 hours, and is usually reasonably priced. Plus, the OP would save 7,500 Avios. In my mind, that would be a better alternative than flying LHR-IAD, and then having to connect to DCA-ALB.
I had to get to Albany a few weeks ago and seriously considered taking this train option but in the end I picked up a car in EWR and drove which took less than 3 hrs. I was under time pressure and this was the quickest way but if doing this again I think overnighting in NYC the night previous and taking the train would be a relaxing way to do this.
MBDublin is offline  
Old Dec 21, 18, 4:58 am
  #14  
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 7,136
The train is by far the most comfortable option to Albany. Having flown, taken the train (from NYC) and driven (from NYC), it will be the train for me every time from now on.
rossmacd is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread