Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

E190 CE - Which row and theoretical seating lottery

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:34 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver, ITA Club Executive, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold

What would you go for? I'd chosen row 2 as it's my favourite row, but now I am thinking I'd rather maximise the change of not having someone next to me.

The bulkhead is much closer to you if you sit in row 1, and I also imagine it's more likely that someone else will end up sitting there.

Would you go for a row further back? The flight is in a few days and it's currently showing J9 and Y9, which suggest that it's quite open, but things may change drastically between now and then.

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:45 am
Suspended

I’m quite happy in row 3.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:52 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
I’d stick with what you have. It’s a great seat.
I had this seat a few days ago and although J was quite full it stayed empty.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:53 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Woodbinerich
I’d stick with what you have. It’s a great seat.
I had this seat a few days ago and although J was quite full it stayed empty.
The issue is that, as you can see, the seat next to mine has already been taken :-)
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:00 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
It is basically a case of how important the bulkhead is for you. Nothing else right?

When I was flying these a bit more regularly I just used to go right down the back (we have an economy for SH flights policy as do many firms) and I more often than not had the two to myself. And when you have that, the 190 is a great little aircraft.

The one thing to watch I reckon is who is in front of you. If you go down the back and pick a seat where you can't see anyone in front of you, you also have less chance of issues with reclining. And as the 190 isn't that large, it's hardly a big deal for the extra time it might take to disembark.

edit: sorry just seen the CE part. I'm leaving my comments up here anyway but I know that 'down the back' isn't an option...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: BAGGL, A3G, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, LHW Sterling
Originally Posted by ringingup
The issue is that, as you can see, the seat next to mine has already been taken :-)
I saw that a bit late. If 1 a and c stay empty which they may well do if the flight is not busy , you or 2c can always switch onboard or 2c may well do that in check in. There’s no right answer here. Both bulkhead seats are ok IMO with row 2 much more capacious, but it’s unpredictable what will happen with the other pax. I’d stick with what you have a sort out onboard if required.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:26 am

Something else to watch for — I was on BA2286 last night and had picked 2D on the basis of the bulkhead. Looking at my seat at check in I was still in 2D but the aircraft had changed to one with 1A/B missing but 1C/D present — I think it was LCYZ but can’t spot that seating plan online.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:39 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's sometimes a game of chicken here, particularly on routes like LCY-EDI where Theoretical Seating isn't likely to work since there could easily be half a dozen GGLs and Prems on board, never mind common-or-garden Golds. So both 2C and 2D gets selected, CE isn't full so it's the only pair of seats occupied, and then someone in that pair bails out at the last moment or on board, taking an otherwise empty pair of of seats further back.

There is indeed no right answer, usually there will be at least the choice of the row 2D/F legroom or an empty pair in CE. Luckily the rest of the 190 seating is sufficiently spacious that no one really loses out. The obvious point is that one can stick to 2F and then an hour or so before departure select something else if you haven't downloaded your boarding pass. If it's definitely not going to be a full flight then you can use TS from 72 hours onwards to make an educated guess as to whether your TS block will last through to boarding or not.
sph77 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: Mucci Des Oeufs Brouilles et des Canards
Stick with 2D. If 1A and B remain free when the door closes, I'd expect 2C to move before anyone further back takes the opportunity to!
Oaxaca likes this.

Last edited by dddc; Dec 18, 2018 at 4:03 am Reason: got seat numbers round the wrong way.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:44 am

Programs: BA, Marriott, Hertz, Dennis The Menace Fan Club
Row 12 and forget CE.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:06 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Personally 5D. Legroom pretty generous less chance hopefully of someone next to me.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:14 am

Programs: BA Gold, HHonors, Virgin
It's hardly an issue on a E190 length flight is it?
KeaneJohn likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:21 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by steve170461
It's hardly an issue on a E190 length flight is it?
Depends if it’s Rotterdam or Reykjavik.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Pick the middle row of CE. People pick from the front or back not in the middle.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:12 am
Original Poster

CE cabin has been scaled back. I still haven’t made a move... Decisions, decisions

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.