Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

A Word of Warning - Amex Travel Insurance LGW Disruption 20.12.18

Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:04 am
Original Poster

Just spoken to Amex Travel insurance. I have a stand alone Select policy (Select 45 AMT). I’m caught up in the disruption at Gatwick today. My flight has been cancelled. I called for advice regarding booking and claiming for a hotel overnight.

Amex told me that they are treating these events as unprecedented and will not be providing insurance cover for this event. Amex said even though my flight had been cancelled, they interpret the policy to cover bad weather and those sorts of things.

I’ll leave it there.

Palmer
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:10 am

Things like this do make me wonder what insurance is actually for. Shame on them.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:21 am
McG

Programs: BAEC
It might be worth a complaint to the financial ombudsman.

This will be the next “add-on” that insurance companies will add - “drone disruption insurance.”
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:34 am
Original Poster

I’ve rebooked a flight for tomorrow. Hopefully, this will operate and the airport will be open. However, should the situation continue, I imagine Amex will not cover me for the hotels that I’ve booked over the weekend for my trip, which I won’t be using, if I can’t travel.

I’ll try to claim the cost of tonight’s hotel from BA. I should be okay up to £200? Is that correct?

Palmer
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:36 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by Palmer
I’ve rebooked a flight for tomorrow. Hopefully, this will operate and the airport will be open. However, should the situation continue, I imagine Amex will not cover me for the hotels that I’ve booked over the weekend for my trip, which I won’t be using, if I can’t travel.

I’ll try to claim the cost of tonight’s hotel from BA. I should be okay up to £200? Is that correct?

Palmer
Yes, £200 max. I would also printscreen search results to justify if it exceeds £200.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:43 am

Programs: BA GFL
Doesn't, unfortunately, surprise me. I was caught in the Mallorca floods and couldn't get back to the hotel and had to stay elsewhere. Cost about EUR200 and 5 hours in traffic (could have been a lot worse, I know). But my Amex Platinum Card insurance doesn't cover 'catastrophe' apparently...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:52 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by YtoF
But my Amex Platinum Card insurance doesn't cover 'catastrophe' apparently...
My insurance (not with Amex) does cover natural catastrophes, including ash cloud but I somehow doubt they'd cover the drone disruption (it's obviously not mentioned in the policy) I don't want to call them today to ask because I'm sure they're busy enough but will do once everything is back to normal.

ETA: my insurance is via a packaged bank account but is provided by AXA - looking on their website, they've added a specific section for LGW drone disruption and state they are including it under their Travel Disruption section and will provide cover for reasonable additional accommodation and travel expenses. I am actually impressed.

Last edited by Irreverent Medusa; Dec 20, 2018 at 12:29 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 12:53 pm

Thanks for letting us know about AXA , big plus for them , . I will remember them when looking for Insurance over AMEX
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:11 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Amex UK Travel Insurance is also provided and underwritten by Axa
pauldb, aceman and mikeyfly like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Prospero
Amex Travel Insurance is also provided and underwritten by Axa
That's interesting, does the Amex policy include Travel Disruption Cover? That's the section that also covers floods, avalanches, volcanoes and the likes. I know that's definitely in my policy and that's the specific section Axa mentions on their website to be covered for the drone thing.

https://www.axa.co.uk/insurance/pers...l-information/
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:19 pm

Programs: BA GfL, Marriott PlatfL/Ambassador, TP Gold, IHG Spire
What do they mean by 'unprecedented'? There's no such definition in the Select 45 travel policy. Just make your own travel arrangements and then claim it all back.

​​​​​
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:25 pm

Amex UK Travel Insurance is also provided and underwritten by Axa
Forgive me if I am wrong but underwriting doesn't mean the policy is the same as provider?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Originally Posted by mario
What do they mean by 'unprecedented'? There's no such definition in the Select 45 travel policy. Just make your own travel arrangements and then claim it all back.

​​​​​
The 45 AMT policy doc contains an exclusion which seems to apply to the The Curtailment; Missed Departure and/or Missed Connection(s); and Travel Delay sections of the policy
any claim resulting from the withdrawal from service of any public transport on the orders or recommendation of the regulatory authority in any country. You should refer any claim in this case to the transport operator involved

Last edited by Prospero; Dec 20, 2018 at 1:43 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.0mm, not sure where I am with hotels these days
the 45 AMT policy doc contains a nasty catch all "Terrorism" exclusion clause.

I'll insert it here once I have managed to dig it out
Provided that it is declared by the appropriate authority as an "act of Terrorism". Subject of course your posting.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:44 pm

Programs: BA, JAL
I don't see any insurance covering this. Then everyone would be able to claim vast sums and there'd be no insurance companies left.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.