Wiki Posts
Search

Club Experience in South Africa

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:27 am
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC Silver
Club Experience in South Africa

I've spoken to a few friends still living in South Africa(Im South African, living in the UK) regarding the internal Club travel. All have confirmed the product to be unreliable at best, stating there are often downgrade or removal of Club from flights all together.

Could anyone who uses the product often please confirm? Ill be heading back to CPT in a few months and traveling internally a fair bit.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:44 am

Originally Posted by FrogTastic
I've spoken to a few friends still living in South Africa(Im South African, living in the UK) regarding the internal Club travel. All have confirmed the product to be unreliable at best, stating there are often downgrade or removal of Club from flights all together.

Could anyone who uses the product often please confirm? Ill be heading back to CPT in a few months and traveling internally a fair bit.
My only experience of flying internally in SA is with Comair, between JNB and CPT, and they've always been pretty reliable. The Club product is like CE, although with maturer crew, tattier planes and old-style food.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: AF/KL Life Plat, BA GGL+GfL, ALL Plat, Hilton Diam, Marriott Gold, blablablah, etc
I have had no experience of unreliability. Obviously if you book straight with Comair (as opposed to BA) you need to be careful not to book one of the Kulula flights as those don't have C but I've never had a substitution or downgrade in my few experiences and found the old fashioned service good for the distance (though sitting arrangement can be cramped on full flights).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.

Could anyone who uses the product often please confirm?
This isn't my experience. Although I don't think my Comair experience can count as "often", in ~50 sectors over the years I think I have seen such a sub on only one occasion.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:06 am

Plus the SLOW lounges at JNB and CPT are pretty good, with displays of food that put the T5 Galleries Lounges to shame.
CloudGazer likes this.

Last edited by Postdoc; Dec 20, 2018 at 4:07 am Reason: Spelling
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:10 am

That's the second reference to 'maturer' crews on Comair that I've seen. I only do 2-4 sectors in a typical year but it's not been my experience.

I love the Comair product - in J or Y it's streets ahead of BA main.

In terms of reliability, my SA colleague is based in CPT and flies internationally a lot, usually from JNB. I've never heard him moan about downgrades so I wouldn't think it's that endemic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.