Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Can I take antique mantel clock as hand luggage?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive, Miles and More, S7 airlines, Aeroflot, Brussels airlines

Hi! Could anybody advise if I can take an old antique quite large mantel clock in hand luggage on BA flight? It has mechanical wind up mechanism and i will make sure that it stops ticking by the time of the flight. I don’t want to put into hold as I’m sure it would be damaged. Obviously I am happy to show it at the luggage control.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:53 am

Welcome Alenka

How large is the clock? I don't see any problem if the clock and packing fit within BA's hand luggage dimensions. I don't think a clock contains any prohibited items.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:55 am

Programs: BAEC
Have done this several times before (not on BA). It usually warrants a second look at the airport security and a couple if times unpacking so be prepared to unwrap, but otherwise no issues.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver
I haven’t had a problem carrying delicate objects on board, and I’m assuming somebody along the way has clocked (excuse the pun) it’s hand baggage size. The problem is take off and landing as you will probably not be allowed to keep it on your lap, so a well padded box to put it by your feet may be the answer.
CloudGazer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:41 am

Originally Posted by plunet
Have done this several times before (not on BA). It usually warrants a second look at the airport security and a couple if times unpacking so be prepared to unwrap, but otherwise no issues.
+1

Have had exactly that experience with an antique clock. No real problem.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:04 am
formerly mattking2000

Programs: BA|AC|AZ|SPG|H|FPC
Not sure how relevant or antique you are referring to, however i once carried an antique watch that was flagged for radioactivity -- radium dial for the glow in the dark. It wasnt officially over the limit however it was enough to flag.
EDIwanderer likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I’d alert one of the staff at security- forewarned means no surprises for them.

wrap it securely but not so much it takes ages to unwrap and wrap again should they want a closer look

Last edited by UKtravelbear; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:25 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:20 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA executive, Miles and More, S7 airlines, Aeroflot, Brussels airlines
Thank you all!

thanks for speedy answers! I thought that I shouldn’t have a problem (apart from risk of damage, but someone has said to me recently “but this is a CLOCK, so you never know with security!” So decided to check... it will definitely fit within hand luggage allowances, it’s from 1870s, and its mechanical, so don’t expect any unusual “readings” on it. Once again, thanks!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:26 am
vga

Programs: yes
I wonder if anyone has the experience of bringing antique clocks on ... I think John's advice is right on the mark--pack well, carry on if you can, and tell TSA what .... She had no problems and it's ticking away on her mantle now.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:32 am

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Impressed by the number of FTers travelling with antique clocks. I don't even possess one - much less travel with one.
VSLover, Cymro, squawk and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:53 am

How time flies!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:29 am
Original Poster

Thanks again for all replies !!!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:34 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Alenka
Thanks again for all replies !!!
And let me also welcome you to Flyertalk and the BA forum. I hope you will have no difficulties at check-in, I would also advise letting the security staff know, however they probably see everything under the sun go through their lines. Have a good flight Alenka.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by LCY8737
Impressed by the number of FTers travelling with antique clocks. I don't even possess one - much less travel with one.
<Sean Bean On>
one does not need to own an antique clock to know how to fly with one. <off>

much the same as with children ...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:32 am

I don't see why not. I've taken a sewing machine through security a couple times and they don't even bat en eyelid.
LTN Phobia likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.