Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:27 am

Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Pair released without charges...
Wait, what?

But his Facebook page confirms he is interested in drones. Surely they’ve got him bang to rights.
DYKWIA, cruisr, origin and 4 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by sunshinebob
Pair released without charges...
Not just 'released without charge' which sometimes means still building a case but 'no longer suspects'.
bbc

Which, given everything said elsewhere on the internet, is one of the reasons the police are very wary about naming people in these situations.

Ho Ho Hum.
DYKWIA, Sealink, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by tinkicker
Not just 'released without charge' which sometimes means still building a case but 'no longer suspects'.
bbc

Which, given everything said elsewhere on the internet, is one of the reasons the police are very wary about naming people in these situations.

Ho Ho Hum.
Indeed, seems like the answer to the headline posed by our “favourite” newspaper on here is No!
cruisr, Sealink, mike&co and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BA
Gatwick Airport Limited now offering £50,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible. £50K seems a bit cheap. If someone has shut down my airport for 2 days I’d be offering 7 digits.
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:43 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Internet and social media will ensure they are harassed till kingdom come, regardless of innocence, as has been stated here before.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 4:54 am

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
The downgrade is actually 50% due to the distance and being intra EU. However taxes - which are a big aspect of the ticket cost - can be excluded based on the actual taxes charged, and on that route the APD component can only be charged at the lower rate compared to CE.
Why do you think that the taxes are to be excluded? According to ECJ case C‑601/17, travel agency fees are to be counted as a part of the ticket price, so I'd assume that airport and government fees also are to be counted as a part of the ticket price (and thus refunded by the airline).
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Now I can tell you now that this is going to get messy due to the IB ticket and the fact that IB tend only to act on National Enforcement Body instructions. BA is formally responsible for your downgrade as the operating airline from the source of the problem, however they will send the problem to Iberia since they did the ticket.
Note specifically that it's the operating airline of the original flight (i.e., BA) which is responsible. If BA forwards the matter to IB and IB is unresponsive, then it's BA that you should take to the NEB. For a flight between the UK and Spain, you can use either the British NEB or the Spanish NEB, whichever you find more convenient.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by tinkicker
bbc

Ho Ho Hum.

It’s ok, the newspapers will do that for them. Apparently the guy was fitting windows at the material time. Cops will be under a lot of pressure to solve this and I can understand that but, as always, it’s a media circus. Newspapers apparently run the major police enquiries nowadays Anyone receiving a drone for Xmas will be queuing up at the refunds desk in January
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by eugegall
So now the suspects are still under arrest for more than 24 hours does this mean they are being questioned under the terrorism act?
No it doesn't You can be held for >24 hours for ANY indictible offence - up to 36 hours with a superintendent's authority and, beyond that, up to 96 hours on the authority of a magistrates' court
eugegall likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:04 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Some person
Why do you think that the taxes are to be excluded? According to ECJ case C‑601/17, travel agency fees are to be counted as a part of the ticket price, so I'd assume that airport and government fees also are to be counted as a part of the ticket price (and thus refunded by the airline.
It's covered in the main thread in post 636 but case C‑255/15 (Steef Mennens v Emirates Direktion für Deutschland) point 36 then 39, the CJEU ruled that "unavoidable" taxes and charges are not counted as part of the ticket price.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by sahajesh
Internet and social media will ensure they are harassed till kingdom come, regardless of innocence, as has been stated here before.
I actually don't think the general public give two hoots about this. They'll be released and just get on with their lives - and maybe even get to sell their story for a few quid as compensation for the night they had to spend locked up.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:15 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Gatwick Airport Limited now offering £50,000 for information that leads to the arrest and conviction of those responsible. £50K seems a bit cheap. If someone has shut down my airport for 2 days I’d be offering 7 digits.
If they offered 7 figures, I'd get a friend to report me, and we'll share the proceeds...when I eventually come out of prison.

Does HMP offer Suites, or just standard rooms?

M
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:27 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
If they offered 7 figures, I'd get a friend to report me, and we'll share the proceeds...when I eventually come out of prison.

M
I think HMP only offer Suites. All with large flat screen tv's, DVD players, computer usage, mobile phones and Egyptian linen.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by msm2000uk

M
I believe you can even get Amazon packages delivered to the 'Suites' now.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 23, 2018, 5:52 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by eugegall
I think HMP only offer Suites. All with large flat screen tv's, DVD players, computer usage, mobile phones and Egyptian linen.
Excellent. As long as I can still access FT and order Deliveroo, it sounds cushty!

On a serious note, my reasoning is probably one of the explanations why they don't make the rewards as 'prosperous' as one might like!

M
Old Dec 23, 2018, 6:02 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Via drones ironically enough

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.