Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:37 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by eugegall
The CPS HAVE to have an example of these two idiots. Irrespective of their motives, they need the maximum allowable sentence to prevent school kids who get drones for Christmas from doing a copycat around the country.
Unfortunately that is not within the remit of the CPS, but lies solely with.the trial judge on conviction.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:42 am

Originally Posted by jfallesen
The Platinum and British Airways Premium cards from American Express both include missed connections as part of the included travel insurance. The FlexAccount and FlexPlus accounts from Nationwide also cover missed connections in their included travel insurances.

I am sure there will be several others with similar cover so definitely worth anyone affected to check their policy.
This isn't quite right - regarding the American Express cover, Ł300 is paid for incidental expenses (food, accommodation) for missed connections that occur during the course of the trip (not before check in), and no provision is made for extra travel costs. And, as for Nationwide (which I have actually), you are right here, they are a little more generous - paying up to Ł1000 for extra travel expenses for extra travel and hotel costs, but crucially only after check-in, which for many affected here may not apply in this case. I agree with what you say regarding checking the policy.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:00 am

Civil Law Suit?

Could the companies eg Gatwick and Airlines sue the individuals involved in this crime for monies lost?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by kanderson1965

Unfortunately that is not within the remit of the CPS, but lies solely with.the trial judge on conviction.
Yes but, as I understand it, the CPS have the choice over charging options? So they could charge under the Air Navigation Order (max 5 years on conviction) or, as in the recent STN protestor case, could charge under aviation security laws (max "life"). Of course they may have evidence of something completely different and the drone bit may just be an add on. The actual sentence is of course up to the judge on conviction. There don't seem to be any 'standard tariff' set out by the sentencing council (that I can find) for either of these offences so I'm out of my non-lawyer depth here!

Of course no one has been charged with anything yet and the two under-arrest may be nothing to do with the disruption of the previous days and there is probably a very long road to any court case.

Just some advanced warning though: for any non-UK readers though once someone is charged in connection with a crime in the UK then there are significant limits on what can be reported and include on social media / websites (like this one). This can include things like naming the person (if they are not named in the mainstream press there is usually a good reason to do with legal restrictions so don't name them on social media.) Some advice on UK laws can be found on this BBC article.
bisonrav likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:02 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Jerseylily2
Could the companies eg Gatwick and Airlines sue the individuals involved in this crime for monies lost?
unless they are incredibly rich what would be the point?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
We probably best not speculate too much in this area regarding anyone arrested. Reporting Restrictions will apply until lifted by a court, so what the BBC has reported is pretty much the limit of what can be said at this time. I've no doubt the lynch mob is alive and kicking in other social media channels, but the law is what it is.
Kgmm77, T8191, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by KARFA

unless they are incredibly rich what would be the point?
Deterrent?
​​​​​​​
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:25 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Deterrent?
thats what the criminal court is for.

Even if a civil action could be taken it would be a complete waste of money by either Gatwick or the airlines.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:32 am

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by KARFA

thats what the criminal court is for.

Even if a civil action could be taken it would be a complete waste of money by either Gatwick or the airlines.
If this results in the perps losing their house isn’t that a better result (for the general public) than the 3 months in the clink their get though the criminal system though ?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by Takiteasy

If this results in the perps losing their house isn’t that a better result (for the general public) than the 3 months in the clink their get though the criminal system though ?

Assuming they are charged? And found guilty? And they have a house to lose?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: CBP Global Entry, WN A-List Preferred, WN Companion Pass
https://edition.cnn.com/2018/12/22/u...ntl/index.html
Old Dec 22, 2018, 8:51 am

How long will it take to get flights back to normal ?
they must have to reposition a lot and aircraft that landed somewhere else ,

I was stuck at Heathrow for a few days after 9-11 and it took a week or more to get people to their destination, 10,000 or more passengers.
I was .lucky and got out early on one of the first flights on Saturday morning.

Good luck to all

​​
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:37 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve with that? They are likely not going to be able to pay them their lost monies back. Maybe out of pettiness, i.e. making sure that the two will never ever be able to amass even the tiniest of fortunes?

As an airline, I'd probably put the two on a no-fly list.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 9:52 am

A388 to the rescue on Norwegian's behalf

https://www.flightradar24.com/data/aircraft/9h-mip
Old Dec 22, 2018, 10:25 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
We probably best not speculate too much in this area regarding anyone arrested. Reporting Restrictions will apply until lifted by a court, so what the BBC has reported is pretty much the limit of what can be said at this time. I've no doubt the lynch mob is alive and kicking in other social media channels, but the law is what it is.
Pair allegedly involved named and shamed in the tabloids on a Google news search. Innocent or guilty, they will be subject to a witch hunt. It will be interesting to see what evidence the authorities have?

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.