Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
Assuming, obviously, that there is sufficient evidence to charge the individual(s), I wonder what mitigation the Courts could consider to prveent them imposing the maximum 5-year prisons sentence?

This was premeditated, persistent and knowingly impacting on aviation safety and the general Public. What more would be needed to justify the maximum sentence available? Any other effects, such as actual impact with an aircraft and/or death/injury/damage could be handled under alternative legislation.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:11 am

Sign of the times that the informant tipped off a newspaper not the police....

Hopefully this will mean things can get back to normal and everyone wanting to get away can do so.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:19 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by T8191
Assuming, obviously, that there is sufficient evidence to charge the individual(s), I wonder what mitigation the Courts could consider to prveent them imposing the maximum 5-year prisons sentence?

This was premeditated, persistent and knowingly impacting on aviation safety and the general Public. What more would be needed to justify the maximum sentence available? Any other effects, such as actual impact with an aircraft and/or death/injury/damage could be handled under alternative legislation.
Generally I think it's seriousness of the crime, culpability, harm plus aggravating factors (e.g. repeat offence) on one side of the scale; versus mitigation and a potential guilty plea on the other side. Mitigation could include remorse, limited understanding, previous good character, mental disorder, taking steps to address offending behaviour. An early guilty plea can take one third off a sentence, falling to 10% if admission of guilt is at a late stage.

There are other charges that the CPS can look at, apart from the 2018 amendment to the Air Navigation Order than you seem to be referencing.
T8191 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:20 am

Programs: BAEC
I don't think this has been reported in this thread yet, but some news sources are reporting that this system is the one now deployed at Gatwick:

https://www.janes.com/article/82347/...e-c-uas-system

The United Kingdom has procured the Israeli-developed Drone Dome counter-unmanned aircraft system (C-UAS), manufacturer Rafael confirmed to Jane’s on 13 August.

The Drone Dome system is comprised of three key elements. In terms of the kill-effecter, the United Kingdom has opted for jamming rather than a laser. (IHS Markit/Gareth Jennings)

The selection of the Drone Dome comes eight months after it was demonstrated to the UK government in January. According to Rafael, the United Kingdom is to receive the radar detection, electro-optical (EO) identification and communication jamming elements of the system, but not the hard-kill laser.

No details pertaining to delivery timelines or contract values were disclosed.

The Drone Dome is described by Rafael as an “end-to-end system designed to provide effective airspace defence against hostile drones used by terrorists to perform aerial attacks, collect intelligence, and other intimidating activities”.

Detection is provided by a combination of a RADA Innovative Defense Electronics RPS-42 pMHR S-band multimission 90° hemispheric radar (four radars to give full 360° coverage), the Controp MEOS electro-optical/infrared (EO/IR) surveillance suite, and the NetSense Wideband detection sensor developed by Netline; command-and-control is provided by a command console; and the effector can be the Lite Beam laser, the C-Guard RD jammer, or even a high-pressured water gun depending on the threat.

As noted by RADA, the RPS-42 has three operating modes: track while search, target revisit, and single target tracking. The radar usually has a detection range of about 50 km for a target the size of a transport aircraft, but for the class of target that it is looking for in its Drone Dome application the radar would typically provide a detection range of between 3.5 km and 10 km. As well as providing detection, the RPS-42 also offers the option for a ‘soft-kill’ of the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) when integrated with the RF jammer. The system uses a gallium nitride solid-state active electronically scanned array antenna, and being relatively small and light is suitable for static and vehicle-based applications.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:21 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by simons1
Sign of the times that the informant tipped off a newspaper not the police....
The Ł10000 reward offered by said newspaper may have influenced this decision somewhat, although there is a requirement in their Tc & Cs that the police need to be informed first.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:34 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
The penalty seems to be life imprisonment, see:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...-at-aerodromes

(1)It is an offence for any person by means of any device, substance or weapon intentionally to commit at an aerodrome serving international civil aviation any act of violence which—(a)causes or is likely to cause death or serious personal injury, and(b)endangers or is likely to endanger the safe operation of the aerodrome or the safety of persons at the aerodrome.

(5)A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life.
T8191, wrp96 and argonath like this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:40 am

I would have thought the options under the aviation/ martitime security act would be more relevant here. Maximum sentence is life.
T8191 likes this.

Last edited by tinkicker; Dec 22, 2018 at 4:59 am
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bisonrav
The penalty seems to be life imprisonment, see:

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga...-at-aerodromes

(1)It is an offence for any person by means of any device, substance or weapon intentionally to commit at an aerodrome serving international civil aviation any act of violence which—(a)causes or is likely to cause death or serious personal injury, and(b)endangers or is likely to endanger the safe operation of the aerodrome or the safety of persons at the aerodrome.

(5)A person who commits an offence under this section is liable on conviction on indictment to imprisonment for life.
I suppose this hinges on the definition of “act of violence”, perhaps the more legally qualified on here can clarify this.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:46 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
There's a good discussion of this on pprune, and one of the posters there also notes that the remit of terrorism legislation is fairly wide and can be invoked if there is any ideological motivation, which seems quite likely here. Fairly sure that this isn't going to end up with a minor slap on the wrist anyway.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by kanderson1965

I suppose this hinges on the definition of “act of violence”, perhaps the more legally qualified on here can clarify this.
Actually this was the bit I was thinking of:
It is also, subject to subsection (4) below, an offence for any person by means of any device, substance or weapon unlawfully and intentionally—
(b)to disrupt the services of such an aerodrome,
Slightly depends on the definition of "device" which I'm trying to find at the moment.
T8191 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:35 am

Originally Posted by bisonrav
There's a good discussion of this on pprune, and one of the posters there also notes that the remit of terrorism legislation is fairly wide and can be invoked if there is any ideological motivation, which seems quite likely here. Fairly sure that this isn't going to end up with a minor slap on the wrist anyway.
You can be certain that due to the severity et al that those in the CPS/Government and affected organisations/persons will want severe penalties to be result to deter any other potential offenders.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Excellent! Thanks, folks ... on iPad abroad so not best placed to research the Book Throwing options available!
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 5:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The arrested persons are male (47) and female (54) from Crawley.
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-46657505

Possibly therefore part of the Gatwick protester community?
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: BA

I was going to write a fairly long list of examples that I expect would be used for mitigation, then I thought what's the point, the chance of these two getting a fair trial are lower than my chances of winning the lottery that I don't play.
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 22, 2018, 6:27 am

The CPS HAVE to have an example of these two idiots. Irrespective of their motives, they need the maximum allowable sentence to prevent school kids who get drones for Christmas from doing a copycat around the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.