Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:30 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
This continuing problem - albeit of short duration - is clearly unsatisfactory for all concerned, but for BA the impact isn't so bad since for some reason their schedule today was morning and lunchtime heavy. There are only a few more flights due to go out now:

They did manage to get JFK out however!

Arrivals is still not so good however, quite a lot of 2 - 4 hour delays on shorthaul due back in.
Prospero likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:03 pm

Programs: BA exec, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by bisonrav
These situations are difficult to deal with inherently.
Really! your experience? do Tell I’m very interested to know why you think there is no contingency plan / it’s a learning curve for drone attacks at UK airports.?
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:31 pm
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
This continuing problem - albeit of short duration - is clearly unsatisfactory for all concerned, but for BA the impact isn't so bad since for some reason their schedule today was morning and lunchtime heavy. There are only a few more flights due to go out now:

They did manage to get JFK out however!

Arrivals is still not so good however, quite a lot of 2 - 4 hour delays on shorthaul due back in.
Presumably some of those aircraft are night-stopping at their destinations, which, if they do not reach, will cause additional agony for those with missed connections tomorrow morning.

Fingers crossed the runway stays open for the foreseeable future.

M
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by Telecasterman
Really! your experience? do Tell I’m very interested to know why you think there is no contingency plan / it’s a learning curve for drone attacks at UK airports.?
There clearly was a contingency plan, which is what I said. The airport was shut down so aircraft safety wasn't compromised and the military brought in. This evening's problem was halted apparently using electronic means. So as far as we can tell, it was not just a plan, it was an effective plan.

You may not like the contingency plan (or at least the outcomes it led to), but that doesn't mean there wasn't one. Similarly we won't be seeing everything that is being done, that doesn't mean nothing is being done.

Similarly there's obviously a learning curve for anyone where something hasn't happened before. It's very easy to sit at a keyboard and tell people they're not doing enough and that the response was feeble, but much more difficult to deal with drones coming at unknown times and from unknown locations, at speed and difficult to detect or track. I think the authorities have done a pretty good job in fairly quickly bringing the situation under control. Yes, it's regrettable that travel has been disrupted, but that will be a secondary consideration after aircraft safety. I am sure lessons have been learned and that things could have been done better, but that is in the nature of disruptive events like this.
sahajesh, flygirl68, Stez and 3 others like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 1:38 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
Presumably some of those aircraft are night-stopping at their destinations, which, if they do not reach, will cause additional agony for those with missed connections tomorrow morning.
Actually LGW is very stingy on night stops, a few years ago in order to improve their financial performance a lot of work was done to engineer as many as possible of them out of the system. So I think it's just the last GLA, EDI and JER which are night stops. Even AMS returns to base (rather late tonight it would appear).

Since I've put that list up, all flights have now got away except the late EDI, AMS and JER, the latter now has a 22:15 timing.
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:12 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Well, made it out only about 90 mins late. Very nice captain spoke for a little while before taxi, apparently they were inbound and due to be diverted to Stansted when LGW reopened, so quite lucky to get out at a reasonable time. Once again the bumblings of the “ba entity” being saved by excellent front line staff...

also got sent this on the drone defence being used at LGW:

https://www.timesofisrael.com/uk-arm...ondon-airport/
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:19 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
ATC audio and photos of Aeromexico drone strike last week.

Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA Silver Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci.
Originally Posted by Basi1
4-5 planes that were waiting in line for take off have returned to the gate. Still an Aurigny and 2 others staying put and waiting.

looks like there is also 1 lined up on the runway. Difficult to differentiate the lights looking out the window from the No 1 Lounge!
Love the way Aurigny have staying power; years of battling the fog in Guernsey

Last edited by allturnleft; Dec 21, 2018 at 3:27 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 3:27 pm

Programs: UA-1K, MM, Hilton-Diamond, Marriott-Titanium
Originally Posted by Mr. Vker
ATC audio and photos of Aeromexico drone strike last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fts9u5ND24

This is probably a stupid presumption on my part and a bit OT and I thought all pilots and ATC people are mandated to speak English, no matter where they are.

In any case I hope everybody’s holiday plans get sorted out quickly.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:03 pm

Really!

You keep pushing yourself as a defender of this mess

Shutting down the airport doesn’t = a continengency plan?.

you give authority more credence than due - ask them for their business continuity/emergency planning policy docs

This is and stands as a unmitigated mess. You don’t demonstrate any informed knowledge- pure subjective hyperbole on your part.

feeling so confident - why don’t you go for a walk about amongst those stranded at LGW and extole your views of UK plc handling of this ?

Last edited by Telecasterman; Dec 21, 2018 at 4:32 pm
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Rewards Lifetime Titanium, Amex Plat, Hertz Gold 5*, National Exec, AA Plat
Originally Posted by cruisr

This is probably a stupid presumption on my part and a bit OT and I thought all pilots and ATC people are mandated to speak English, no matter where they are.

In any case I hope everybody’s holiday plans get sorted out quickly.
I thought that too. I love that youtube channel and will often here the country's language when its a state/country airline.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:25 pm

Originally Posted by cruisr
ATC and pilots are mandated to be able to speak English, but as far as I know are allowed to communicate in any mutually intelligible language. Most ATC I've heard in Latin America (excluding Brazil) is in Spanish. Honestly two people communicating in their mother tongue are probably less likely to have a miscommunication than both speaking in a foreign tongue, and that probably trumps allowing other pilots to understand.

I think at large int'l stations like MEX where a lot of the traffic is in English sometimes they'll stay in English for the local flights to avoid switching all the time.
cruisr likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:28 pm

feeling so confident - why don’t you go for a walk about amongst those stranded at LGW and extole your views of UK plc handling of this ?
What would you prefer - a closed down airport or crashing aircraft with dead passengers and crew?
Orange.Man likes this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:40 pm

Originally Posted by Some person
What would you prefer - a closed down airport or crashing aircraft with dead passengers and crew?

With all respect thats utter nonsense
Old Dec 21, 2018, 4:47 pm

https://assets.publishing.service.go...sion-study.pdf

With all respect thats utter nonsense
Unfortunatly the risk of serious injury to pilots is now proven via testing conducted by the DfT, MAA and BALPA. The risk of delamination and penetration of the windscreen structure of commercial aircraft is a real and significant possibility. As for helicopters the situation is even worse still!

Conclusions

6.1 Unlike birdstrikes, the aviation industry is only beginning to understand the risks of drone collisions. This study has resulted in an increase in knowledge in this area.

6.2 It is clear from the results that helicopter windscreens could be critically damaged by collisions with a drone in several realistic scenarios. It has also been shown that helicopter tail rotors can also be severely damaged.

6.3 Whilst more resilient than helicopters, the modelling and testing in this study has shown that airliner windscreens could be critically damaged by mid-air collisions with 4 kilogram class quadcopter components, and 3.5 kilogram class fixed-wing drones with exposed metallic components at high, but realistic speeds. These impact speeds would usually be encountered when the aircraft is at higher altitudes, 10,000 feet or above, but aircraft do sometimes operate at these speeds at lower altitudes.

6.4 The testing has also shown that the construction of a drone can make a significant difference in the impact of a collision. Where the toughest and densest drone components were covered with a plastic casing, or did not hit the windscreen first, the impact of the collisions was lessened.

6.5 With regard to the comparison with the severity of a birdstrike, it was realised that drones can cause significantly more damage than a bird of equivalent mass at the same speed. This seems to be due to the hard metallic components present in drones and means that birdstrike certification cannot necessarily be used as a prediction of complete protection from drones.

Last edited by Sigwx; Dec 21, 2018 at 4:53 pm

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.