Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:11 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by DarkHarlequin
Well this is a kick in the fork. Should be on EZY8466 tomorrow morning to start a family Xmas ski holiday. Brother in law sensibly booked ex-LHR. Bit late to look for a one way for 4 to GVA for tomorrow but guess that’s what I’ll be doing for the next hour or so...

Having some very uncharitable thoughts towards these drone so and so’s...
All 10 BA LHR-GVA services and the LX ones are zeroed out. Good luck!
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:12 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
Sat in the lounge, planes not moving on runway, a few police lights zooming around. Not a single thing by way of announcement from ba or from Gatwick. By far the best information is from here, so thanks to all updating the wiki.

wish hadn’t found my trousers now and just stayed home...
BA235 and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by aceman
. Not a single thing by way of announcement from ba or from Gatwick.
Apart from the announcement on Gatwick website and Twitter about 15 mis before you posted

Westjet WS4101 (GLA-LGW)?

Seems to be an odd flight. After some holding south of LGW, now at 32,000 ft and heading back north.

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by florens
All 10 BA LHR-GVA services and the LX ones are zeroed out. Good luck!
Indeed. Already checked...here’s hoping to a prompt end to the closure at 10 tonight...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:16 am

On top of my previous, MAN now unable to accept diverts and the nearside continent airfields are filling fast. Looks like a busy and torturous night and day ahead for all involved and affected.

My sincerest condolences to all those affected. This is going to be a game-changer for regulation and enforcement. Especially as we exit EASA and can control of our own regulations group in March.

As for the 2019 i troduction of registration and underatking a very noddy, simple simon online ‘test’, pathetic! Makes a mockery os the SRG in the CAA. (Safety Regulation Group)

Programs: BA Gold
Wife and I were originally on yesterday's flight to Nuremberg but when they cancelled we rebooked onto today's. Due to the ongoing delays our departure was pushed back from 4:20pm to 6pm after the aircraft got back from Lapland. We had just gotten to the gate when they announced the drone was back and the airfield closed.

We're lucky, have good travel insurance and only a want, not a need, to be somewhere. We'll probably scrap the holiday.
I feel sorry for the poor souls trying to go on a holiday of a lifetime, take kids somewhere special, or in the case of a lady near us at the gate, make it home to see a dying aunt.

We're back in the F lounge awaiting more news.

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist

Seems to be an odd flight. After some holding south of LGW, now at 32,000 ft and heading back north.
I believe it was positioning back to LGW after diverting yesterday...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:17 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by FlyingScientist

Diverted to Glasgow yesterday, was repositioning back to LGW.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
Diverted to Glasgow yesterday, was repositioning back to LGW.
Looks like it's haggis for dinner again tonight...
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:20 am

I'm really sorry for all those affected by this, especially those for whom it isn't 'merely' a holiday that is ruined but a life-and-death situation, as @estate described.

This time though, I would really hope that the 'assets' the military and police now have in place are able to more quickly triangulate the operator and deal with the issue.
wrp96 and redeyedonkey like this.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:22 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Just announced on LBC that the runway has been reopened ... good luck to all those using LGW this evening.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Programs: BA Silver
Aurigny has taken off. Nothing else linin upfor now
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:23 am

Originally Posted by noFODplease
Have a friend stuck on a Qatar flight - is this confirmed/definitely accurate?
QR 331 seems to be in the queue for LHR now.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 11:25 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Mucci: Classe de la Luxe Eternelle
Passengers on the LGW - DOH flight have just been told they are taking off shortly?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.