Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:54 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by Daventry
Has anyone flying with Iberia tomorrow managed to change their flights? I've called Customer Services and they won't let me until the flight is actually cancelled.
Welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk Daventry, and though it may not be so useful at the moment, there is an Iberia forums as well!

I'm afraid that is the IB way of working, they don't go into the proactive flight management on the whole, unless it's a Joint Business flight. I think you will need to stay the course here. On the other hand they are more likely to rebook you at the airport than a BA flight if there are further mass cancellations.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:55 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by alewis2005
Ooh this option is only £320 STN-DUB-KEF. Thanks!
Or from Manchester first thing in the morning, you'd probably have to take the overnight coach up there mind.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:59 pm

I know this isn't a BA related post, but it's very much a Gatwick clusterf*ck related post... I'm booked on EZY8503 LGW-KEF landing at 1130. I then have a separately booked flight WW121 KEF-DTW that takes off at 1520.
Now, clearly the easyjet flight is totally fubared. I have no idea what my options are at this point though. There isn't another flight that goes from London to KEF in time, and booking a last min flight from London to Detroit is going to cost £1200 which I don't really have to spare. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?! I have some travel insurance through bank accounts, credit cards etc but most of them aren't very helpful about this situation...
You don't say if this is separate tickets but presumably yes. If so it's a complicated situation....Easyjet will refund you but you will be a no show on WW.

You could try and reroute yourself to KEF as above.

Otherwise the only real advice here is to speak to your insurers on whether they will cover a replacement ticket. Sadly It is already being commented on BBC that insurers are in 'no dice' mode.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:01 pm

I know this isn't a BA related post, but it's very much a Gatwick clusterf*ck related post... I'm booked on EZY8503 LGW-KEF landing at 1130. I then have a separately booked flight WW121 KEF-DTW that takes off at 1520.
Now, clearly the easyjet flight is totally fubared. I have no idea what my options are at this point though. There isn't another flight that goes from London to KEF in time, and booking a last min flight from London to Detroit is going to cost £1200 which I don't really have to spare. Does anyone have any ideas or advice?! I have some travel insurance through bank accounts, credit cards etc but most of them aren't very helpful about this situation...
I'm afraid hardly any travel insurance will insure against missed connections, so this is mostly seen as self-insure unfortunately.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
Welcome to the BA forum here on Flyertalk Daventry, and though it may not be so useful at the moment, there is an Iberia forums as well!

I'm afraid that is the IB way of working, they don't go into the proactive flight management on the whole, unless it's a Joint Business flight. I think you will need to stay the course here. On the other hand they are more likely to rebook you at the airport than a BA flight if there are further mass cancellations.
Thanks, I had a quick look at the IB forums but didn't see any posts related to the LGW catastrophe!

Regarding rebooking at airport - Just wanted to avoid going there as it's such a mess right now.

Customer Services were keen to rebook me on the 24th December for the same flight LGW-MAD. They told me that for something such as LHR-DUB-MAD I would need to go the airport.

I guess I'll stick to flying BA from now on (this IB flight is one of those I purchased for the 90k avios promo back in June).
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci, BA, AF
I see a handful of seats on 23DEC LHR-MAD at 0735/1255/1555.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:26 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
Pretty sure most people think of the £££ rather than the refreshment voucher.
Don't forget about the two phone calls.

I think that the hotel room is the most important thing (if you are on your way home), plus it's important that you are entitled to rebooking.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:31 pm

Originally Posted by BA6501
I see a handful of seats on 23DEC LHR-MAD at 0735/1255/1555.
Thanks, that's my plan B. So there's no chance of getting to them to reroute us via DUB on BA? We have a train to catch on the 23rd, that's why I'm fixated on getting to MAD by 22-Dec evening.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:37 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Worryingly according to Gatwick there has been another drone sighting in the past hour and they will "review overnight whether there is any potential to open tomorrow"
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:37 pm

Originally Posted by Sealink
Pretty sure most people think of the £££ rather than the refreshment voucher.
Depends if you enjoy sleeping on the airport floor.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:58 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Flexible preferences
I'm afraid hardly any travel insurance will insure against missed connections, so this is mostly seen as self-insure unfortunately.
Mine does. Multitrip.com includes missed connections as an extra. We pay £150 a year because we do a lot of xEU trips.

Had to use it once when our BA flight landed too late into CPH for us to get our connecting flight back home with RA. Spent the night at the Hilton Airport for £300. Insurers paid for the hotel and the flights home less our excess.
fluffymitten likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:07 pm
McG

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by McG
Just tried phoning BA to swap my LGW-GLA flight tomorrow night to LHR or LCY. Advised to phone back as the systems are down.
Used the BA App to change onto the last LHR-GLA flight tomorrow night. The app actually worked well - showed all flights between LON-GLA tomorrow and those flights with availability had a button next to them to allow you to select it.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:07 pm

Is there some mass hysteria occurring here?

The drone comes and goes with no one seemingly being able to connect with it.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Are you stranded? Friday 21st

Given the issues today and the potential disruption faced by many travellers tomorrow, I'd like to offer help to those who cannot leave Gatwick tomorrow and have no other options.

I live in Windsor, so while not immediately local, it is within taxi distance and gives you a very local option to LHR for rebooking.

I can accommodate from Friday evening until Sunday 6pm. I will then myself be departing from LHR.

I also have a car so please let me know if you (or someone you know) needs help.

It's Christmas after all.

Last edited by Mks6; Dec 20, 2018 at 3:18 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:11 pm

Programs: QF WP
I went to bed last night fully expecting this to be sorted by the time I woke up. But nothing

just to confirm (as I’m reliant on overseas news), no claims of responsibility yet?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.