Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by pred02
Hi,

I am/was due to fly on Norwegian Air DI7147 from LGW to BOS today. The original flight was due to depart at 1620, it is has been rescheduled to 19h but I do not think that is happening. I rebooked on the same flight tomorrow (before the cancellation so avoid the flight) but if this situation doesn't get resolved how can I get Norwegian to book me on another carrier?

I talked to Norwegian they insist only to rebook on Norwegian. If this does not get sorted I will need to buy an expensive one way ticket from LHR.

Any suggestions?
Similar issue for a friend of mine that was flying ARN-LGW-LAX today, and she was told to rebook herself and sends receipts. She booked via AMS with KL/DL instead.
The information wasnt terribly clear though, and I told her to assume that there will be a struggle to get the cash back. But she had no alternative and had to be in LA today and Norwegian were not able to achieve that in anyway apparently.
Perhaps it is worth querying them if this is a possibility for you.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:48 am

Originally Posted by flylonghaul
Interesting, seems still seems odd that they chose that location for the stop, would have thought there were more heavily served destinations to allow for easier crew rotation.
Either way, seems they wont be getting into LGW tonight.
Perhaps that is as far as the crew could go, maybe they have a short haul flight bringing a replacement crew or maybe it is something else entirely.
flylonghaul likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by DaveS
Ironic that some of the adverts embedded in this thread are for drones.
Actually, this is to be expected. Ad networks try to target the ads at the readers of a page so if certain keywords show up on the page, ads matching the keywords will be served up.

That is why it is not that uncommon to see adverts for barbecues on a news article about a house being burned down by a BBQ fire and similar. Exactly the same thing here with the word drone being mentioned a couple of times in this thread. :-)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: IB+, BAEC
Hi all, long time lurker here, posting for the first time. I've learned so much from this forum in the last year that I was able to get Silver a few months ago.

Just wanted to share my experience today:

I'm back in the office after my LGW-SVQ BA2798 has been cancelled just as I was arriving into Gatwick.

Called BA about 45 minutes ago and they told me:

1) You can only fly to the same destination, which is a bummer because XRY or AGP would work for me if there is availability.
2) They could reschedule me to a flight on Dec 23 via Madrid

They recommended that I wait a bit until LGW reopens to see if more availability opens, so that's what I did, but now I'm not sure if that's a good choice since I could end up losing up that seat too. Should I snatch up that one as suggested by corporate-wage-slave above in msg 238 above?

Thanks and best of luck for everyone affected.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:51 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
Moral of story: the cheap carrier may not offer the best service. Good luck getting Norwegian to live up to their EC261/2004 obligations, even more than most airlines.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by flatlander
Moral of story: the cheap carrier may not offer the best service. Good luck getting Norwegian to live up to their EC261/2004 obligations, even more than most airlines.
EC261/2004 likely wont be applicable anyway, as this is very much outside the airlines control, at least for today... once the issue has been dealt with, if Norwegian is then still not able to get their schedule together you might have an argument for claiming compensation. But Norwegian is still responsible to get you to your destination.
Agree though that dealing with them is likely to be like getting teeth pulled with out anesthetic.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:58 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
I find it odd that there are no photos of the actual drone.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:02 am

deleted

Last edited by markle; May 25, 2023 at 6:33 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:03 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by pred02
I am/was due to fly on Norwegian Air DI7147 from LGW to BOS today. The original flight was due to depart at 1620, it is has been rescheduled to 19h but I do not think that is happening. I rebooked on the same flight tomorrow (before the cancellation so avoid the flight) but if this situation doesn't get resolved how can I get Norwegian to book me on another carrier?

I talked to Norwegian they insist only to rebook on Norwegian. If this does not get sorted I will need to buy an expensive one way ticket from LHR.
Norwegian will indeed restrict you to their aicraft, so in your position I would look to go via another DY location (DUB? CPH? OSL?) to catch a service from there. Generally speaking apart from Wow, Norwegian and similar, it's best to buy a return ticket, they are usually cheaper.

Can you get to Dublin by 10:45 hrs tomorrow? Wow have got a £250 one way fare from there and Aer Lingus a £353 direct service.
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
EC261/2004 likely wont be applicable anyway, as this is very much outside the airlines control, at least for today... once the issue has been dealt with, if Norwegian is then still not able to get their schedule together you might have an argument for claiming compensation. But Norwegian is still responsible to get you to your destination.
Agree though that dealing with them is likely to be like getting teeth pulled with out anesthetic.
Even if there is no EC261 compensation due, duty of care still applies.

Programs: M&S Elite+
Originally Posted by jfallesen
Actually, this is to be expected. Ad networks try to target the ads at the readers of a page so if certain keywords show up on the page, ads matching the keywords will be served up.

That is why it is not that uncommon to see adverts for barbecues on a news article about a house being burned down by a BBQ fire and similar. Exactly the same thing here with the word drone being mentioned a couple of times in this thread. :-)
Charlize Theron Charlize Theron Charlize Theron nude. Well its worth a try
Sealink likes this.

EU261 most certainly will be applicable. The duty of care parts will apply, even if the compensation does not.
flatlander likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by markle
If doing this, I'd strongly encourage you to get this in writing from the airline before shelling out the cash for the flight.
Indeed. That would have been my advice to her also, but I was in a meeting at the time so she wasnt able to ask me before hand. She only made it to the gate just in time for final call.
I am not 100% on the details of how it all progressed as I only had a few minutes on the phone during a rushed transfer.
Would 100% agree that getting in writing is the smart move.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:09 am

Originally Posted by sxc
I find it odd that there are no photos of the actual drone.
There has to be more to this story.

We are approaching hour 20, the media are all over it - but none of them are able to supply a photo of even a dot in the sky, never mind a large industrial drone.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:10 am

Programs: Mucci Chevalier de Actes Bénéfiques pour les Autres, BAEC Gold.
According to the BBC News, the Police have now made a formal request for assistance from the Ministry of Defence.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.