Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:16 am

Programs: British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by nick.t.davies
Not that this bears giving too much thought to but given that this now seems to be a sustain disruption attack it makes me wonder why LGW has been targeted rather than LHR? Does LHR have better facilities for countering this?
Heathrow own three anti-drone bazookas to shoot them down. They may ultimately end up being used at Gatwick
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:17 am

Originally Posted by clarkeysntfc
Suspect it is more likely because LGW is in a more isolated & rural location with plenty of fields and countryside around with hiding places for the perpetrators.

Whereas LHR is basically hemmed in by urban development and busy roads.
Good place to watch the response before refining the plan for a more urban environment.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:18 am

Programs: BA, VS
This does make me wonder whether there is something more sinister happening, like a substantiated threat made against a flight to/from LGW and the drone situation is a convenient manufactured way to effectively shut down the airport.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Gold, TK, DL, IHG Diamond, HHonours Gold, Hertz Presidents Club
Originally Posted by mjuler
This does make me wonder whether there is something more sinister happening, like a substantiated threat made against a flight to/from LGW and the drone situation is a convenient manufactured way to effectively shut down the airport.
It all sounds a bit like Die Hard 2 to me, we need Bruce Willis to solve this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by flylonghaul
According to FR24 BY163 (Tui Fly) from LGK Langkawi which isnt due in until 23.10 tonight is already diverted to BOJ (Burgas Bulgaria)
That's a hell of a diversion I feel sorry for the passengers, it's not only not even in the country, but not even on the same side of the European continent… Surely this is due to an issue with that particular flight/plane? I would've thought they'd be able to find a closer diversionary airport in the UK or elsewhere in NW Europe…
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:30 am

Originally Posted by squawk
That's a hell of a diversion I feel sorry for the passengers, it's not only not even in the country, but not even on the same side of the European continent… Surely this is due to an issue with that particular flight/plane? I would've thought they'd be able to find a closer diversionary airport in the UK or elsewhere in NW Europe…
Its an enroute stop. Possibly due to crew duty hours.
squawk likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Originally Posted by milkyway88
EF is showing good(ish) availability to Jacksonville tomorrow via DFW. As a quick look it seems to be only place that does have some availability.

The above shows availability to Jackson Airport in Mississippi opposed to Jacksonville (JAX).

M
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:34 am

Programs: LH SEN
EF is showing good(ish) availability to Jacksonville tomorrow via DFW. As a quick look it seems to be only place that does have some availability.
JAN is Jackson-Medgar Wiley Evers International Airport in Mississippi, you sure that travellingowl wants to go there?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:35 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by msm2000uk
The above shows availability to Jackson Airport in Mississippi opposed to Jacksonville (JAX).

M
Opps.

However even driving from there you've be in Florida before Sunday
msm2000uk likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:38 am

Rebooking options

Hi,

I am/was due to fly on Norwegian Air DI7147 from LGW to BOS today. The original flight was due to depart at 1620, it is has been rescheduled to 19h but I do not think that is happening. I rebooked on the same flight tomorrow (before the cancellation so avoid the flight) but if this situation doesn't get resolved how can I get Norwegian to book me on another carrier?

I talked to Norwegian they insist only to rebook on Norwegian. If this does not get sorted I will need to buy an expensive one way ticket from LHR.

Any suggestions?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by rapidex
Its an enroute stop. Possibly due to crew duty hours.
Interesting, seems still seems odd that they chose that location for the stop, would have thought there were more heavily served destinations to allow for easier crew rotation.
Either way, seems they wont be getting into LGW tonight.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:41 am

Opps.

Its a bit far with 2 young kids to drive but thanks for the suggestion.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:42 am
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
Opps.

Haha! Very good point!

M
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:43 am

Originally Posted by pred02
I talked to Norwegian they insist only to rebook on Norwegian. If this does not get sorted I will need to buy an expensive one way ticket from LHR.

Any suggestions?
Have you tried your travel insurance?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by SteveF

Have you tried your travel insurance?
I've spoken with Amex insurance today (through Amex platinum card insurance). They will only cover £300 per person for new flights (replacement ones for us would be >£1200). They do cover up to £7,500 for pre-paid bookings that are cancelled (hotels etc), but the £300 is not enough to get a last minute replacement flight to Florida!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.