Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:41 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Pumplekin
I don't expect them to fly when it is dangerous to do so. I do expect the authorities to have a better way to respond to this.

For example, get your own drone to follow the enemy drone. Either it needs to be abandoned when it runs out of batteries, or land somewhere the owner can recover it when you can easily swoop in and arrest them.

Also, can't they use triangulation to locate whatever radio signal is being used to control the drone. Surely we have equipment that is capable of doing things like this.
As I mentioned earlier, why can't the airport radars be used to track the position, velocity and direction of the drone(s)? With the sky clear from all other aircraft apart from 1-2 authorised helicopters surely anything else in the sky is the drone? See where it takes off from and try and swoop on the perps as someone will be preparing it / changing batteries etc?

Anyone with knowledge of airport radars know? Didn't get an answer last time so presumably no one does...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:42 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
I wonder if they thought of rubber bullets, those must be no harm to the airplanes. Right?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:43 am

Originally Posted by BOH
As I mentioned earlier, why can't the airport radars be used to track the position, velocity and direction of the drone(s)? With the sky clear from all other aircraft apart from 1-2 authorised helicopters surely anything else in the sky is the drone? See where it takes off from and try and swoop on the perps as someone will be preparing it / changing batteries etc?

Anyone with knowledge of airport radars know? Didn't get an answer last time so presumably no one does...
I don't know for sure, but I'd assume they are simply too small to show up, otherwise every large bird would clutter up the radar feed as well..?
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I doubt a drone is big enough to be picked up on the radar.

My LGW flight is now leaving from SOU so at least I will get off today (not a BA flight), and extra Ł20 on the train though. Oh well.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:45 am

Programs: BA Gold; LH FTL; IHG Diamond; Marriott Gold; ALL Gold
Originally Posted by corporate-wage-slave
For those who only get one shot at seeing their families each year the impact is difficult to overstate.
But on the upside, I'm sure there's at least one expat stuck in the sunny Caribbean who is now delighted with their excuse not to spend Christmas in the UK with the in-laws...
wrp96, kosy91 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:46 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by ckx2
Surely they can expect countermeasures from a country that has both intelligence and armed forces with modern equipment, rather than doing what exactly?
Yes but in the civilian aircraft world you cannot simply knee-jerk and start shooting things out the sky whilst maintaining operations. Nor can you take some form of action (let's say track down and remove a drone and maybe apprehend a perpetrator) and then immediately declare a safe situation for flights to continue. There may be other drones at other sites for example.

When you have a potential danger situation and minimum 150 passengers at danger for each incident (even 1-2 people) it would be a brave person to apprehend 1 person and seize one drone and declare the emergency over?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:47 am

Programs: Southwest RR, Alaska Mileage Plan™
Probably too small to get a decent RADAR return from the drone. All aircraft have a transponder that more easily enables the flight radar to track.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:53 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by high.and.above
I wonder if they thought of rubber bullets, those must be no harm to the airplanes. Right?
I thought this. I figure the drones must be flying fairly high.

Even so, what's the range on those massive fire hoses they've got? That would take care of a drone, I'd imagine.
high.and.above likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:55 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by ckx2
Surely they can expect countermeasures from a country that has both intelligence and armed forces with modern equipment, rather than doing what exactly?
Just because you can't see what is happening, it doesn't mean nothing is being done.

This appears to be a coordinated attack, and Gatwick have explained on twitter that the drones being used are industrial spec, not consumer drones. The first priority is assuring passenger safety, the second will be finding where they are coming from. No one is going to go taking potshots at drones or bringing them down with nets or whatever until the attack is understood, it's a complete waste of time and effort.

If something - use of radar, netting, missiles - is obvious to someone on an internet bulletin board, it will be obvious to the team managing the problem. I honestly don't know what people expect sometimes.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:58 am

Over 200 replies so far, and no one has yet blamed Cruz.

That must be some sort of BAFT record
markle, wrp96, kosy91 and 6 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 am

perhaps someone wants to demonstrate what a no deal / no fly brexit looks like
BOH, happeemonkee, wrp96 and 1 others like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:01 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by rossmacd
Over 200 replies so far, and no one has yet blamed Cruz.

That must be some sort of BAFT record
the hi vis got an honourable mention though
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:02 am

Originally Posted by high.and.above
With a max range of 100m I doubt they'd be much of a threat to these drones either.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: ExecutiveClub GGL/CCR MileagePlus 1K FLyingBlue GOld
Originally Posted by SteveF
With a max range of 100m I doubt they'd be much of a threat to these drones either.
I suppose they can get close to them in a helicopter if they are just going around the airport, surely can't be that hard to see them( I think)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 7:08 am
Suspended

Programs: *A G, OW S.
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
My SVQ-LGW is already showing as "Delayed - to be confirmed" but BA stubbornly will not let me rebook. "Sorry sir, policy, etc." Now, I understand that rules are rules and until the flight is cancelled they will not do anything, but I have a very nice alternative to offer them and it would free up 2 seats for some poor souls who are displaced from tonights flight which has now been confirmed cancelled. I am on SVQ-LGW, LHR-JFK-SFO and have an alternative of SVQ-MAD-JFK to connect to the existing JFK-SFO. All one ticket and PNR and all on JB carriers. You'd think they'd love to get us out of the way of LGW and LHR, but no. At least, not yet, not until it might be too late.
Given that clearing up the mess of this incident will take days you would think the airlines would be looking proactively at solutions for the days to come and freeing up capacity where possible and taking up suggestions such as this but then there's nothing as inflexible as airline rules which often end up costing them more money than if they took up things people proactively offer like this which would cost them nothing.
shefgab likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.