Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:42 am

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by BOH
Good point, wasn't thinking about blowing them out of the sky, more about tracking where they are being launched from and landed as this may help catch the perpetrators.
I think the residents of Hampshire and Surrey would be surprised to see a couple of SeaCepter missiles flying overhead.
nancypants likes this.
Moderator: Qatar Airways

Programs: BAEC GfL & GGL, SQ Gold, Amex Centurion, Mucci des Chevaliers des Bons Mots et Qui Savent Moucher
So for around Ł1,000, you can shut down an entire airport?

Golly - what an odd world we live in.

M

Programs: UA GS, Bonvoy Amabassador, Hertz PC

https://taskandpurpose.com/isis-dron...efender-rifle/

Last edited by Hipplewm; Dec 20, 2018 at 5:48 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by our_kid
Well not one to go on a Daily Mail style rant but these drones and their operators need licensing or even better restrict their usage outright. The selfishness of this incident - blighting others lives and being intrusive and dangerous.

Whoever is behind this operation deserves the full force of the law applied to them and we need a rapid clampdown on these devices.

I seriously doubt the people involved in this are the sort who worry about licensing. And see previous about why (the inevitable) clamping down on drone sales won't do a lot of good in relation to this.

Going out on a limb but I don't think Gatwick will re-open today.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:43 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by ckx2
The whole show is quite pathetic.
“Downing Street said government was in touch with the police about the incident, although the prime minister’s official spokesman could not name which minister was taking charge of the situation”
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:46 am

I quite like the idea of owning a drone for aerial photography, and I'm perfectly on board with having to register it (and even take a test) to be allowed to use it - but that wouldn't make a difference in this case.
Initially last night, I assumed it was a couple of jokers with a new toy who decided to fly near the airport for some "viral footage" for their instagram or something- they know it's wrong but don't care, and are the type who give legitimate users a bad name... but given how long it's going on for (and it sounds like there's more than one drone), it's obviously much more intentional and organised. Drones can't fly for more than 20-30 mins, so why they can't just watch to see where they go to land I don't know - presumably someone is swapping out batteries?
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:47 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by nancypants
“Downing Street said government was in touch with the police about the incident, although the prime minister’s official spokesman could not name which minister was taking charge of the situation”
pfff, I know it's Lady Sugg (Liz Sugg), the aviation minister, who is on this one. "Taking charge" isn't the way it works, though it may end up with COBRA if there are national security implications.
wrp96, nancypants and bisonrav like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:49 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, CrabAir Blue
Originally Posted by nancypants

there is form for this (eg after the BA38 incident)

just sail it up the Thames, job done!
Originally Posted by milkyway88
I wonder if the RN have got any T45's at Portsmouth. They should be able to track (and destroy) drone size objects at that range (unless all that land in the middle interferes somewhat).....

The South Downs with their 750 odd feet elevation might get in the way of even a Sampson radar....

Programs: BA Gold; MB Ti; HH Diamond; IHG Plat; RR Gold
Posting this for discussion as much as anything else, the video linked below shows a drone catcher protoype by the Tokyo Metropolitan police from 2015. No need for firearms, or worrying about stray bullets... just use a net and the nefarious drone's rotors to do the work for you.

BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by notakeenflyer
And what's been happening since last night?
Gatwick has been closed, that is what has happened. My point being that even if these sort of things were available they cannot be used simultaneously with an operating airport so was not sure what could be gained from having them available - it would not keep the airport open. Plus don't forget an airport perimeter is huge, certainly greater then a few miles for LHR and LGW so it would be a major investment and undertaking.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:51 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Originally Posted by milkyway88
I think the residents of Hampshire and Surrey would be surprised to see a couple of SeaCepter missiles flying overhead.
Which is maybe why I used the word "wasn't" @:-)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:52 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
BBC reporting that a drone has been shot-down.

Doc Copper
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:53 am

Programs: BA
Gatwick's chief executive has said another drone has been sighted "within the last hour".
Sky news
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:55 am

Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
I hope they get another one as well and re-open the airport. I've got a flight tomorrow morning from Gatwick
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:59 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by DoctorCopper

Doc Copper
About time... I can't believe they waited for something like 15 hours before doing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.