Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:17 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by want2goeverywhere
however now my new flight says we only have 1 bag baggage allowance when as Gold I would have thought we have 2 bags each. My LGW flight showed 2 bags allowed per person (OH is blue).

I plan to just handle this at airport as I guess it is just a reissue issue... any thoughts?
That's just a result of the reissue process and now rather mangled booking. However it's not anything to worry about, you'll get your 2 bags in the First Wing, they won't even blink about that.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:19 am

Programs: BA:Gold Amex:Green :IC Platinum Elite Amb
Not the first time runway closures have happened there Gatwick closed briefly 2nd July 2017

Given the apparent loiter time it does point to an organised attack using GNSS based flight direction so possibly no controller just a launch and leave approach giving minimum risk to those behind this event. Plenty of places around the vicinity of the airport to position multiple UAV's for delayed launch so the police will be having a heck of a time and I guess in the new year there will be some new equipment (probably directed energy such as laser) appearing close to runways in an attempt to prevent a repeat.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:23 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Customer Guidelines update 3 (this number is important)

These have been revised, so LGW departures, shorthaul and longhaul, departing today, can now be rebooked up to and including 4 January - if your flight is currently operating. If your flight is cancelled you get a broader set of options plus the right to a refund as an alternative.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Eurocontrol now saying closed until 2pm.

How long before BA triggers a wave of cancellations?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:27 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I'm on an LGW-JER flight tomorrow, so watching this closely, just wondering how likely it is that there'll still be a backlog tomorrow evening, even if they manage to get this under control. Friends flying today on easy jet to barcelona have been moved to bristol airport tomorrow.

I'm curious if BA will just keep cancelling flights particularly just to locations that are only served by LGW, or will they actually shift some to LHR or other airports?

Really can't see how the application of helicopter + shotgun couldnt have this sorted fairly quickly. I also know some guys that love drone racing, could probably pay them a couple of quid and have them just crash the other ones out of the sky, so I suspect there's a wider plan here of not just knocking them out but keeping them doing it long enough to track down the culprits.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:29 am

But would the kind of people behind this massively disruptive act be bothered about following stricter licensing regulations?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:30 am

Programs: M&M, BA Silver, Accor LeClub Gold
Gatwick airport need to invest in this:

https://openworksengineering.com/#video
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:31 am

Programs: PC RA, Hertz PC, (Flybe) Premier card, Tesco Platinum
Originally Posted by babats
Surely it's just as dangerous, if not more, to fly helicopters around under the circumstances
fixed wjng aircraft are not as manoeuvrable and have a minimum airspeed to stay aloft. I’d imagine a rotor wouldn’t have as high an airspeed and hence impact energies would be much lower, plus avoidance much easier.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:32 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by Sigwx

One ot two drones = one giant cluster f&Łk
It almost look like the policy is "oh, we'll just close the airport until they get bored of flying their drone(s)". So they could keep this going on for days yet... or move on to LHR next...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:34 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Am flying to CGN tomorrow, so am keeping an eye on this.

Programs: BAEC Silver, Virgin Red, HH Silver, SPG Gold, Priority Pass,
Licencing of the users, devices and some mechanism to shoot the damn things down.

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by aceman
Really can't see how the application of helicopter + shotgun couldnt have this sorted fairly quickly. I also know some guys that love drone racing, could probably pay them a couple of quid and have them just crash the other ones out of the sky, so I suspect there's a wider plan here of not just knocking them out but keeping them doing it long enough to track down the culprits.
If they haven't been able to triangulate by now, I doubt they're going to.

You're right, though. It would be pretty easy to smash a few other drones into them.

Is no-one else starting to think this might be something a bit more sinister?
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:36 am

Originally Posted by MiraculousM
Why isnt southend airport being used by BA? Surely that would make more sense than france?
SEN runway 05/23 is 1,856 meters long, so it is bit short for many airplane types, especially those used on long haul routes, which are the most likely to be diverted. Also it might be easier to divert to an airport where the airline already has some activity as then it doesn't require too much hassle to arrange ground handling etc.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:38 am

Location: All over the place often South Wales and Lake District
Programs: BA Gold for Life Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Wozza2404
If they haven't been able to triangulate by now, I doubt they're going to.

You're right, though. It would be pretty easy to smash a few other drones into them.

Is no-one else starting to think this might be something a bit more sinister?
Let's not start using the T word.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
Seems like a Ryanair flight just departed Dublin for LGW. Surely they must be expecting to be able to land soon?
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.