Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BAEC blue dust
Originally Posted by navylad
I’d imagine phalanx would make short work of the drones

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=z9zAvJkrv5M[/left]
That would do quite nicely ^

I've still not fully recovered from the 'lympics… HMS Ocean was berthed just round the corner - the helicopters taking off and landing at all hours, every day for 3 months drove me oh-so-slightly nuts
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:53 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Worcester
I understand but take the relay out and that may stop the Drone? With a bit of luck, there may be forensic evidence on a relay.
With consumer drones pushing 8km+ ranges, anything is possible. It could be a relay, it could be someone sitting at their bedroom window, it could be someone sitting in the back of a van with a transmitter/receiver on the roof, flying the drone to different places each time for new batteries. Whoever is doing this has planned to do this for quite awhile, so I'm guessing it will be awhile yet until this is over.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 2:57 am

Programs: QF WP
Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Air Transat seems to be diverting north but VS 44 seems to be descending towards LGW. Perhaps runway opening soon?
i reckon VS44 is heading for Luton
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:01 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

i reckon VS44 is heading for Luton
Seems to be holding over High Wycombe now in a stack with others waiting to go in to LHR
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:02 am

Yes I spotted it doing what looks a bit like joining the bovingdon stack after I posted

must say, obviously would be better in different circumstances but I am rather enjoying the excuse to watch flightradar24 all day
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:04 am

Programs: BA GGL CCR GfL, SQ Gold, Hyatt Glob, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, Cafe Nero Loyalty Card (7 Stamps)
Originally Posted by baileysserpant

i could offer up a team of ten guns (shotguns) and the whole thing could be dealt with easily. It really would be that simple on an airfield. No issue of stray bullets, just some falling shot...
From the ground to hit it with a shotgun I reckon it would need to be... what.... 50 meters or less above you to hit it with a shotgun? I'd imagine it's sitting higher than that.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:07 am

Originally Posted by nancypants
Yes I spotted it doing what looks a bit like joining the bovingdon stack after I posted

must say, obviously would be better in different circumstances but I am rather enjoying the excuse to watch flightradar24 all day

I didnt even think of this.. its FASCINATING to watch. I just found the helicopter circling too.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Blue
Have any news teams managed to get any footage of these "drones"? Must be pretty small if a zoom lens cant even find it.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:08 am

Programs: BA Gold
There's a Ryan Air circling above EMA, what's that about?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:10 am

New Update

EGKK( Gatwick)
Airfield unavailable due to drones in the area till 1300 UTC.
High delays.
Diversion Capabilities Updates
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by Pads
Have any news teams managed to get any footage of these "drones"? Must be pretty small if a zoom lens cant even find it.
There are apparantly some videos on Twitter but I've not managed to find anything yet.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:12 am

Originally Posted by endoman
There's a Ryan Air circling above EMA, what's that about?
that appears to be some kind of training flight- if you look at the speed/altitude log it’s making multiple landing attempts and then immediately going around
endoman likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:13 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by grantsteve
There are apparantly some videos on Twitter but I've not managed to find anything yet.
The only video I've seen from last night looks more like the police helicopter...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:15 am

I work in south east london and rarely do we have flights coming directly over us.. we have had about 4 in the past 5 mins.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:15 am

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Pads
There are videos of it during the night but you can't see much, just the strobe flashing

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.