Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL; Hilton Diamond
LGW closed due to drone activity

I’m on the GLA-LGW which has just landed at LHR. Apparently there were multiple drones flying near Gatwick which has closed it with 20-odd inbound flights being diverted, and also a knock-on effect to departing LHR flights.

Hope it won’t be too late a night for our flight and any others affected.
aquamarinesteph likes this.

Last edited by loungesnob; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:16 pm Reason: Typo
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:43 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I hope inappropriate drone operators would be caught and charged for every pence of the cost that's been incurred by airlines, passengers, and any others involved (sadly I suspect that would never happen) because of them.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:44 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Are you allowed to disembark at LHR or will they force you to wait until Gatters reopens?
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:46 pm

Programs: Mucci de l'Arbitrage
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I hope inappropriate drone operators would be caught and charged for every pence of the cost that's been incurred by airlines, passengers, and any others involved (sadly I suspect that would never happen) because of them.
Agree but meanwhile would prefer that the decision to land is left at the discretion of the captain or the airline rather than the airport.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:49 pm

As a tech enthusiast, I love the capabilities that drones give us for aerial photography and videography*. However, the monumental stupidity and irresponsibility of some drone owners is going to cause a major disaster with the loss of life at some point. People are just idiots.

* less so for aerial surveillance, and even less so for military drones, but that's getting OT…
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Are you allowed to disembark at LHR or will they force you to wait until Gatters reopens?
According to our captain, LHR has forbidden any pax from disembarking here

As for me, my car is at Gatters so I need to get there!
Takiteasy and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
And a Twitter link from GAL saying that two drones are apparently involved.

Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:32 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
There's a further update that LGW is staying closed for the time being, and the diverted flights are no longer showing an onward route to LGW. Well, one exception the NCE flight still has a Stansted link. My guess is that BA will disembark all passengers at STN and LHR now. Affected aircraft are
- BA2625 NCE - diverted to STN
- BA2709 BCN - diverted to LHR
- BA2965 GLA - diverted to LHR
- BA2977 SVQ - diverted to STN
and the Venice flight has been stopped overnight in VCE

Easyjet has a lot more flights affected, and they've got a stack of aircraft arriving into LTN.

BBC news report confirming the story, and diversions tweets
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sussex-46623754
wrp96 and aquamarinesteph like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:41 pm
Original Poster

Captain has just confirmed our GLA flight is cancelled

Any thoughts on whether BA would reimburse me for my parking (in addition to the taxi which I know they will cover) if I just got a cab home from LHR and collected my car tomorrow? Otherwise it’s out to LGW and then back into SE London!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Lots of twitter chatter about this. It's a heck of a time for two drones to be in the air. Safety first of course.
Be interesting to see what BA have to do re onward transport. There must be some responsibility, and I would think it totally reasonable for them to pick up a car park tab.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:45 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by loungesnob

Any thoughts on whether BA would reimburse me for my parking (in addition to the taxi which I know they will cover) if I just got a cab home from LHR and collected my car tomorrow? Otherwise it’s out to LGW and then back into SE London!
id tweet Gatwick and ask if they’d waive the extra parking cost if you collect tomorrow , LHR ‘normally’ does if you ask. Not sure that BA would cover a taxi home though and cap is around £50 if they do.
endoman likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:47 pm

Originally Posted by loungesnob

They would cover up to £50 for the taxi fare, they wouldn't normally cover the car parking fee, that's a consequential loss which won't be covered. However if it's an official airport operated car parking company, it may be they will take a merciful view of extended stays, given the circumstances.
endoman likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by squawk
However, the monumental stupidity and irresponsibility of some drone owners is going to cause a major disaster with the loss of life at some point. People are just idiots.
Both drones and lithium batteries.

But as we all know, little will be done until an accident actually happens.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:50 pm
Original Poster

Amex travel insurance then?

Good points on the car park; luckily it is the LGW short stay so I may have a chance
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:53 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Globaliser
Both drones and lithium batteries.

But as we all know, little will be done until an accident actually happens.
From what I gather, an collision may well have happened, although not in the UK and not confirmed yet, and thankfully no injuries:

Incident: Aeromexico B738 at Tijuana on Dec 12th 2018, radome damage on final approach

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.