Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: BA Silver, Hilton Diamond
Vodaphone have a technology in final testing maybe even available that can bring down drones. Looks impressive from what ive seen.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:16 am

Programs: SAS Gold, Hilton Diamond, OWS
Norwegian (DI)7058 (MCO-LGW) seems to be diverting to DUB. I suppose thats because they have no ground services in any other UK airport than LGW?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:18 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by LGWClosedAgain
There are videos of it during the night but you can't see much, just the strobe flashing
Just to welcome you to Flyertalk LGWClosedAgain and to welcome you to the BA forum. We certainly like to see new people participating here and so make yourself at home. However there is a limit of 5 posts in the first 24 hours which you may hit shortly. After 24 hours you can participate without that restriction. Welcome on board.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:18 am

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by Scandinavian traveler
Norwegian (DI)7058 (MCO-LGW) seems to be diverting to DUB. I suppose thats because they have no ground services in any other UK airport than LGW?
Seems like DI7016 (from JFK) diverted to Sheffield.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:40 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
Nightmare. If it's not fog in the Channel Islands its drones I have the worst luck for flying home.

Why would anyone want to annoy a load of people probably trying to get home for Christmas.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:43 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
BA diversions so far
- BA2625 NCE - diverted to STN
- BA2709 BCN - diverted to LHR
- BA2965 GLA - diverted to LHR
- BA2977 SVQ - diverted to STN
- BA2154 BGI - diverted to LHR
- BA2232 BDA - diverted to AMS
- BA2035 MCO - diverted to CWL
- BA2256 SKB+ANU - diverted to NCL
- BA2158 UVF+GND - diverted to CWL
- BA2152 BGI - diverted to SNN
- BA2202 CUN - diverted to CWL
- BA2076 LAS - diverted to CWL
- BA2262 KIN - diverted to CWL

- BA2587 VCE - still in Venice having been due to depart 20:20 hrs yesterday

And then BA2272 JFK-LGW which was cancelled for unrelated reasons (shortage of aircraft).

Cancellations departing from LGW (these won't be reinstated and include the return trip):
BA2596 VRN
BA2794 VLC
BA2938 EDI
BA2932 ALC
BA2958 GLA
BA2760 AMS
BA2540 FCO
BA2772 JER
BA2782 OPO
BA2584 VCE

That's about 15-20% of LGW's departures. No longhauls cancelled yet, despite the fact that the aircraft are all over Europe. Even JFK isn't cancelled!
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
I called BA and got moved from LGW to LHR flight - was very easy and helpful.

however now my new flight says we only have 1 bag baggage allowance when as Gold I would have thought we have 2 bags each. My LGW flight showed 2 bags allowed per person (OH is blue).

I plan to just handle this at airport as I guess it is just a reissue issue... any thoughts?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:45 am

Can’t they stop people buying those things ie ban them and assume that anybody seeking to buy them is not in the public interest? It is so incredibly selfish of anybody seeking to deploy them when so many people are seeking to travel but the LGW is doing the right thing, could one imagine how awful if there was an accident caused.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:54 am

Programs: BA Bronze SPG
Just logged on to flightradar24 as well - fascinating!
nancypants and tedcruz like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:58 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by CharlotteC
Can’t they stop people buying those things ie ban them and assume that anybody seeking to buy them is not in the public interest? It is so incredibly selfish of anybody seeking to deploy them when so many people are seeking to travel but the LGW is doing the right thing, could one imagine how awful if there was an accident caused.
Short answer is no.

Long answer is the technology is such that although you could ban the sale of complete drones (and even that may be ineffective) buying all the bits and making your own is very easy. It's also where the registration concept struggles. You can require any shop bought drone to be registered, but I can buy all the bits in about 10 mins online.

Last Christmas (as in 2017) it was estimated that 1.5 million drones were sold in the UK adding to the 2 million or so already in the country. It's a bit like trying to shove the genie back into the bottle. ( I honestly have no idea on the accuracy of those numbers they claim to be from the CAA and I found them here )

Of course you could take the UK firearms legislation approach where pretty much any component part of a lethal firearm is considered a lethal firearm.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 3:59 am

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Tafflyer
. Worst case, get helicopters up to trap them or take them down.
Surely it's just as dangerous, if not more, to fly helicopters around under the circumstances
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:07 am

I have a few questions-

Why isnt southend airport being used by BA? Surely that would make more sense than france?
How come there are no pics of these drones? i am super confused. there was a video from last night?
When was the last time these drones have been seen as there has been a helicopter that keeps coming and going over gatwick.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:09 am

Programs: QF WP
@want2goeverywhere i’m sure it’s just a glitch. Worst case scenario I would be prepared to pay the excess and claim it back later (I anticipate the airport staff will be a little stressed!)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:14 am

Programs: BA Blue
The BBC have now shared a twitter post from Sussex Police asking for people with information to come forward.

I think it appears currently that there is no plan to resolve the situation and that the police are probably just driving around aimlessly hoping to bump into someone with a remote control. Ridiculous really that no one has thought to plan for an event like this with all the news about drone near misses and how they have been used to deadly effect in ME countries and for prison smuggling.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:16 am

Well AMS has just declaired so no more innings for any diverts over there.

Southend....not sure if it is on our approved list of airfields but I would imagine it would fill immediately.

MAN is now looking at mass disruption protocol if needed meaning aircraft parking on taxiways etc.

One ot two drones = one giant cluster f&£k

time for more rigid enforcement and mandadted (expensive too) licensing.

If you want a radio transmitter you need a radio license, yet we let these death traps fly unabated. We really are a bunch of mugs in the UK. Caught with our pants down!

https://ext.eurocontrol.int/airport_corner_public/dc_requests/
nancypants likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.