Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:11 am
Community Director

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Diamond Ambassador
Originally Posted by simons1
All very confusing.

LGW website departures section shows plenty of delayed flights including BA. Typically 30/45m and some over an hour.

In fact the airport is reported closed at 7.30?
Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Fingers crossed for you. Just reported on BBC Breakfast that airport closed until at least 10am. Looks so far like Easyjet affected the worst so far with 44 cancellations overnight affecting 7000 people with some not getting away before Christmas.
The situation has changed markedly in the last 20 minutes. Certainly nothing is moving, and all flights up to 10.05am are now showing ‘Next info at (scheduled departure time)’, which in many cases has passed.

I understand LGW has told people not to travel to the airport, which given how generally crowded many of the check-in areas and security were around 6.15am can hardly come as a surprise.

This is certainly one of those moments where a nice lounge with food and drink certainly makes you appreciate the benefits of status - I imagine it’s a pretty miserable experience out in the terminal.
adrianlondon and wrp96 like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:13 am

Programs: BAEC (blue), HHonors (gold), Marriot (gold), Hertz/ Avis (PC)
Fecking feckers.

I was on Norwegian ARN-LGW last night. Looped LGW a few times, routed to AMS for refueling, then back to ARN.

Boarded the 0705 ARN-LGW today to be deplaned 0800

I'm now aiming for the SAS 1105 to LHR

Top cap it off, it's all my kids birthday today (3 of them, 5, 2 & 2)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:14 am
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

Originally Posted by Takiteasy
Agree but meanwhile would prefer that the decision to land is left at the discretion of the captain or the airline rather than the airport.

I hope any pilot that decided to take a chance would be fired immediately!

Closing an airport is not a decision taken lightly.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:17 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Truffles
Person from Gatwick on Radio 4 just now reported that the drones have been over the runway almost continuously overnight, and are still there. 20 police patrols are looking for the operator.
I don't know anything about drones, but how can this take so long? Surely there is some technology out there to ping the signal and find the operator? Or jam the frequencies?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:19 am

Location: Manchester but from Yorkshire better known as Gods country
Programs: BA Gold, , Sandals plat
Can’t these thing be shot down. Surely their must a contingency plan to deal which drones say in the case of a terrorist attack
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:19 am
Community Director

Announcement in the lounge of a raft of cancellations - perhaps 10 or so in total. Astonishingly there’s still plenty of room in here, which is a small consolation.

I think we’ll be here for lunch ...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:20 am

Shoot the bloody things out the sky. And the perpetrators when they whine their toy was destroyed.
PJSMITH0, HarryKUK and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:22 am

Programs: BA Silver, AmEx Platinum, AVIS Presidents Club, Marriott Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by CatchThePigeon
Shoot the bloody things out the sky. And the perpetrators when they whine their toy was destroyed.
I was going to add that to my last post but wasn’t sure how well it would be received! But yeah, seriously, shoot the bloody things out of the sky. I can’t believe this has gone on for so long. Fly another drone into it if it’s safer than “shooting” it. But letting it just fly around at leisure seems like a nonsense.
CatchThePigeon likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:23 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by NWIFlyer
The situation has changed markedly in the last 20 minutes. Certainly nothing is moving, and all flights up to 10.05am are now showing ‘Next info at (scheduled departure time)’, which in many cases has passed.

I understand LGW has told people not to travel to the airport, which given how generally crowded many of the check-in areas and security were around 6.15am can hardly come as a surprise.

This is certainly one of those moments where a nice lounge with food and drink certainly makes you appreciate the benefits of status - I imagine it’s a pretty miserable experience out in the terminal.
Absoloutely Chris Woodruff COO of Gatwick has just been on BBC News saying airport is closed until drone is downed. He was talking about “my airport” “my staff” and seemed genuinely concerned for passengers welfare.

Came across as genuine and sincere and no hi vis involved. Seems this appears to be a pre meditated attempt to disrupt at this time of year,

As you say Lounge will be welcome haven,

Is it not not worth trying to squeeze in on a departure from Heathrow sooner rather than later, ?
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:24 am

Programs: QF WP
He added: “The police advice is that it would be dangerous to shoot the drone down because of what may happen to the stray bullets.”

https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...drone-sighting

Time for the big guns
wrp96 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:31 am

Programs: BA (LTG), Miles&More (whatever the lowest level is), Oyster card (zones 1-2)
Hopefully, one outcome of this will be far stricter regulation of these things.

It's only a matter of time before one gets flown - deliberately or not - into an aircraft. Hopefully this will be a wake-up call to sort this out before something really bad happens.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:34 am
Community Director

Originally Posted by KeaneJohn

Is it not not worth trying to squeeze in on a departure from Heathrow sooner rather than later, ?
I did ask at check-in, but the view was that most flights would be full and that might be difficult. In any case, presumably BA wouldn’t put me on to anything within MCT, so we’d be looking at an even later departure anyway whilst the flight remains scheduled. If it’s cancelled we’re in a different ball game. It strikes me wait and see, given the hassle factor of swapping airports for possibly no gain, is the best bet here - not just for us, for anyone with destinations that operate from different airports.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BA
Stuck in LGW along with everyone else. Shoot the operator, not the drone I think.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:35 am

Programs: BA Blue
Originally Posted by nancypants
He added: “The police advice is that it would be dangerous to shoot the drone down because of what may happen to the stray bullets.”

Also think it is ridiculous how long this is going on for. I've also previously seen talk about using nets to take them down. Cant post links yet but a quick google search has loads of options.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 1:36 am

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Seems to be a deliberate act, I wonder who is behind it? The likes of Plane Stupid or Greenpeace seem the obvious culprits.

I wonder how much extra carbon dioxide has been released by all the diversions?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.