Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:13 pm

Yes I watched this maybe trying to lure the drone out??
Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:19 pm

Programs: QF WP
EZY9046 doing laps of the airport

Old Dec 20, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
Serious question: Given that aircraft engines are designed to withstand bird ingestion of something goose sized with hard bones, could it also withstand ingestion of a hobbyist sized drone? Those are mostly plastic and I would think the plastic would shatter/break apart on ingestion, in a similar manner to goose bones. Be interesting to know if that becomes part of the RR/GE test procedure.

Or to phrase it another way, is it known if ingestion of a small/medium sized drone is guaranteed fatal to an aircraft engine?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:11 pm

Programs: BD, BAEC Pleb, VS Pleb, Accor Pleb, HHonors Gold, Big White Season Pass
It seems that you are looking at something a tad bigger than a DJI Mavic here.

I think if you google the incident where a commercial drone crashed in an FIS World Cup Slalom race nearly killing Marcel Hirscher, I doubt whether a drone of that size would leave much of an engine intact.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:43 pm

Programs: BA Silver (OWS)
Plus one could strap something explosive to a drone.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:46 pm

Aside from causing engine damage they can also crash through cockpit windscreen into pilots etc
Old Dec 20, 2018, 6:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Only just catching up with this story.

Very frustrating for all those involved and must have been a nightmare for the airlines especially BA.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:51 pm

Programs: BA, TK, HHonours, Le Club, Best Western Rewards
Not wishing to stray into OMNI territory but Liz Truss once suggested that barking dogs deterred drones from prisons (no not something she said while on a night out while drunk, this was in the HoC) which may explain the effectiveness of the response thus far.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: BAEC
BA have confirmed that the runway at Gatwick is 'open' and flights will resume in the coming hours!

Last edited by Mike Gold; Dec 20, 2018 at 11:15 pm
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:15 pm

Programs: AC 35K
Things seem to be getting back on track. Seeing quite a few arrivals already.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
I am glad for the affected travelers that flights resume.

What I find odd is that there is no news regarding the drone operator(s). Have they been apprehended or did the authorities fail to find them? There must be more to the story.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:46 pm

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by florens
I am glad for the affected travelers that flights resume.

What I find odd is that there is no news regarding the drone operator(s). Have they been apprehended or did the authorities fail to find them? There must be more to the story.
From the BBC

”Police have so far failed to locate the device or its pilot, but are considering plans to shoot it down.”
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:49 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, SK Gold, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, Radisson VIP
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA

From the BBC

”Police have so far failed to locate the device or its pilot, but are considering plans to shoot it down.”
Why would they reopen the airport when the threat is not neutralised?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 11:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
This is just insane, When/if the catch the asshat(s) who did this I hope they are jailed for quite a long time. I also wonder how Ryan Air sending LGW flights to STN and Virgin to LHR will affect opperations at those airports as LHR isn't know for excess capacity...speaking of LHR thank your favorite deity they didn't pull this nonsense there as I could only imagine the disruption to global travel.
Old Dec 21, 2018, 12:02 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by florens

Why would they reopen the airport when the threat is not neutralised?
From that BBC article it appears that yesterday they were trying to get the operator and the assumption is that they had opportunities to shoot it down. For reasons unknown they didn’t do that yesterday but will probably do it today.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.