Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:44 am

Programs: BA Gold
Originally Posted by BarneyMcGrew
According to the BBC News, the Police have now made a formal request for assistance from the Ministry of Defence.
Is there a reason (political/historical?) that this didn't happen say at 08:00 this morning? For instance the combination of daylight and military grade radar would have been handy some hour ago, now the perpetrators can just disappear into the night and there will be no way of tracing them.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:45 am

Programs: BA GGL for a little while longer
Originally Posted by chris63

Well, I was under the impression that the Governments first responsibilities are to protect the public & keep major facilities operational, clearly they are failing spectacularly in the latter, drones have been around for ages & the glaring reality that the authorities appear incabable of responding is shocking
General failure of preparedness perhaps but contingency planning is full of hard choices about where to place your limited assets. I think drone attacks have so far been rather amateurish and far away, thus hard to argue we should divert funds from other priorities... this may change now the art of the possible has been demonstrated
chris63 likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:46 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
Is there a reason (political/historical?) that this didn't happen say at 08:00 this morning? For instance the combination of daylight and military grade radar would have been handy some hour ago, now the perpetrators can just disappear into the night and there will be no way of tracing them.
Most likely financial, a civilian agency would have to cover the military expense normally and they don't exactly have cash splashing around these days.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:48 am
BOH

Programs: IC Hotels Spire, BA Gold
Is there a definitive list already of what BA flights are already cancelled tomorrow (Friday 21st) - I think I read up-thread that some are already cancelled?
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
Gatwick closed until 9pm now (from Eurocontrol)
Old Dec 20, 2018, 9:57 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by BOH
Is there a definitive list already of what BA flights are already cancelled tomorrow (Friday 21st) - I think I read up-thread that some are already cancelled?
OK I'll extract the list (to stop Jim from double working!) and post it in a few minutes.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:00 am

I think those are the inbound flights from those locations, rather than the departures from Gatwick tomorrow
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:03 am

Originally Posted by JimEddie
Gatwick closed until 9pm now (from Eurocontrol)
And it's changed again.... now 10pm!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
This must be a first in history, no? Good luck to those with flights from/to LGW.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Bit of this, bit of that
Originally Posted by JimEddie
I think those are the inbound flights from those locations, rather than the departures from Gatwick tomorrow
Right you are! Careless of me. Think its time for some coffee, thanks for pointing out the mistake!
Those were indeed the inbound cancellations.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:09 am

I wonder how many people are actually involved in this now? Will they give up at the 24 hour point? Presumably whoever is doing it must be stopping to sleep/eat/poop/whatever, so there has to be more than 1 or 2 of them...
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:10 am
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Cancellations on Friday

Yes, it's a work of fiction at the moment all round - almost everything is either "delayed" or "on time", no outbound cancellations. I suspect Flight Management is trying to get this list together at the moment, it can't be an easy job.

Inbound to LGW. cancellations:
BA2625 NCE
BA2613 NAP
BA2154 BGI
BA2168 FLL
BA2036 MCO
BA2166 TPA
BA2158 POS+UVF
BA2204 PUJ
BA2272 JFK
BA2156 PLS+ANU
BA2236 SJO

Last edited by corporate-wage-slave; Dec 20, 2018 at 10:45 am
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by mmogdan
Was flying in BA2775 JER - LGW connecting to LHR tomorrow morning. We're on Condor Liberation ferry now, arriving in Poole ETA 21:45 - Long shot but got a transfer booked to Heathrow with 3 available seats - if anyone needs a lift tonight....
This is a very kind offer @mmogdan - hopefully someone can make use of it!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:22 am

Whilst understanding the difficulties I must say I'm quite surprised that after almost 24 hours the authorities haven't been able to come close to securing the area for operation.

A bit less surprised that insurance companies are starting to wheedle their way out of claims by claiming there is no mention of drones in their policy wordings.

And definitely not at all surprised to hear Simon Calder on the radio saying that airlines are again failing to advise customers of their entitlements under EC261.

Hey ho. Must be devastating for passengers wanting to get home or away for Christmas. Apparently the ban on night flights has been lifted if they can get the airport open again which may help some people.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 10:28 am

I just want to say that this website is absolutely amazing. I am so impressed that someone has taken the time to turn this thread into a wiki with up-to-date details as to what to do, what's being cancelled, etc which is such a useful source to so many people caught up in this mess.

I am thankfully NOT caught up in this however I'm sure there are many who will make use of the valuable info here, and throughout this entire website.

Well done to the FT community!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.