Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Canarsie
Travelling to of from London Gatwick 21 December 2018
All LGW services operated on Friday with 2 exceptions (BA2758/0 to AMS and back; BA2938/9 EDI and back). Many flights were heavily delayed.
List of inbound BA diversions from latest closure is in post 463
Incomplete list of inbound cancellations for Friday 21 December is here in post 298.

Current customer guidelines in this post 344 (you can rebook free of charge to 5 January and reroute via LHR/LCY). Try rebooking via the App if you can, otherwise you need to telephone BA.

Background
Gatwick Airport was closed at 21:03 on Wednesday 19 December following reports of drones flying over the airfield. Sightings have continued throughout Thursday 20 December requiring the airport to remain closed. Gatwick Airport advising all passengers to check the status of their flights before travelling to the airport. Gatwick airport was further closed on Friday 21 December from 17:00 until 18:25 at which time normal operations resumed after suspected drone sightings.

Previous updates
Current list of cancelled and diverted services
Post 96 and Post 132 and Post 184
Print Wikipost

LGW closed due to drone activity

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:00 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (11/Dec/18)
Originally Posted by McG
LNER are offering free train travel today to anyone who was due to fly and their flights been cancelled between LGW & EDI/ABZ/INV on production of a flight ticket at Kings Cross.

They will also transport GLA passengers.
Thameslink are also passing flight ticket holders between LGW and Kings Cross / St Pancras for onward travel on LNER to EDI / ABZ / INV.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:01 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite
Originally Posted by simpletastes
Need some advice. I have a flight leaving Gatwick (LGW - DXB) on Sunday morning with Emirates. If I purchase another ticket (say a one-way ticket) from Heathrow instead (LHR - DXB) will I be able to use the return portion of my Emirates ticket (departing DXB)? Does this matter if I purchase my new one-way ticket from Emirates vs BA. Does this have to be negotiated with Emirates or can I insist they do not cancel me my return portion of my Emirates ticket? Thank you for your advice.

Call them and discuss - They still seem to have flights coming in - just arriving at other airports. Your flight may simply depart from said other airport, or if all this gets fixed, they maybe a big overnight repositioning.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:02 am

Originally Posted by nancypants

what is this purported to represent?
It was posted with a suggestion that those pictured might be more closely aligned with the military than they are with the police.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:03 am

Programs: BA Gold
Never seen ground vehicles on radar before.

Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:06 am

Programs: Mucci, BAEC Silver, IHG Platinum Elite

Something for a central London location once the peoples responsible have been caught? A good old fashioned public lynching would stop copy cats.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:08 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Originally Posted by alvintc
Top cap it off, it's all my kids birthday today (3 of them, 5, 2 & 2)
Happy Birthday to them!
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by simpletastes
Need some advice. I have a flight leaving Gatwick (LGW - DXB) on Sunday morning with Emirates. If I purchase another ticket (say a one-way ticket) from Heathrow instead (LHR - DXB) will I be able to use the return portion of my Emirates ticket (departing DXB)? Does this matter if I purchase my new one-way ticket from Emirates vs BA. Does this have to be negotiated with Emirates or can I insist they do not cancel me my return portion of my Emirates ticket? Thank you for your advice.
Phone them- years ago, when i had a flight to dubai, it was snowing and there were severe delays from LGW. I phoned them before i set off and they just transferred me onto a LHR flight
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:09 am

Originally Posted by grantsteve
It was posted with a suggestion that those pictured might be more closely aligned with the military than they are with the police.
At least 3 of the people in that photo look like police to me, the guy on the left is likely SO19.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:10 am

Programs: BAEC GGL/CR; Hilton Diamond; Mucci des Puccis
Originally Posted by grantsteve
You can be certain that what seems to be a coordinated disruption attack on major infrastructure is going to have a lot more than just a police response.
wrp96 and nancypants like this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:10 am

Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
At least 3 of the people in that photo look like police to me, the guy on the left is likely SO19.
Agreed
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: LH HON***,UA,BA.EK Gold,AV.
Originally Posted by bisonrav
You can be certain that what seems to be a coordinated disruption attack on major infrastructure is going to have a lot more than just a police response.
One would expect & hope but so far it’s embarrassing how long this has been allowed to go on for
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Programs: Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by itsmeitisss
Am flying to CGN tomorrow, so am keeping an eye on this.
I would keep an eye on the customer guidelines and if they widen them to include tomorrow consider switching to a LHR-DUS flight as imagine there is now a fairly high chance disruption might drag into tomorrow.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:15 am

Originally Posted by theultimateflyer
Seems like a Ryanair flight just departed Dublin for LGW. Surely they must be expecting to be able to land soon?
Incorrect.

Originally Posted by Akoz
Or with bases at the likes of STN, they have decided that its not too much of an issue to divert on route.
Correct - looks like they are now holding at STN.
nancypants likes this.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:17 am

Programs: BA bronze, Hertz pres circle, Marriott Platinum, hilton diamond
I have a friend who's in security consulting and he can't believe how its shut the place down, he says at the security shows there's huge sections devoted to anti drone technology, all sorts of electronic counter measures, parachutes designed to drop and snag them, and all sorts of other bits, he's amazed.
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:20 am

well at least it's stopped people talking about Brexit................
nick.t.davies likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.