Wiki Posts
Search

BA 1 reliability

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
BA 1 reliability

I'm expecting to be shot down for a silly weather related question, which is impossible to forecast.

Just wondering what the reliability is on the LCY NYC service in the winter? Have booked for 13 Feb, two days before a cruise.

That's all. Really want to try this flight. Hoping Feb will be kind!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:12 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Mucci Champion des Champions, BAG4L, *A Gold, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, Hertz Gold, Avis President
Depends on the weather and other parameters obviously
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
It really does depend on the weather - especially fog - on the day.

if it does get cancelled BA will put you in a taxi to LHR.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:54 pm

Programs: KLM, BA Silver, Etihad
I fell foul in October. Taxi offered to LGW or LHR
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:43 pm

Programs: Mucci Petit Four de Pucci, RedVee's Navigator Badge, BA Gold, Hilton Diamond
BA1 is a great flight. KInd of unique. Enjoy it!
Sealink and MarkY123 like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:40 am
Original Poster

SEQ 1 for BA 1

Pilots Restaurant was OK, glad I didn't have to pay!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:44 am

Programs: Tufty Club (Gold), BAGA Gymnastics level 4, 440yds swimming certificate
BA1s reliability is massively linked to LCY reliability. Due to its position and its facilities LCY is often prone to visibility issues, which are clearly more common in winter months.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 2:51 am

Programs: BAEC Gold
all about fog at LCY - if there's fog on the Thames, you'll simply be moved over the LHR: even if it's cleared by the time BA1 is supposed to take off, early morning visibility issues force the aircraft to land elsewhere (LGW/STN - not sure) and therefore the BA1 departure is cancelled
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:01 am

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
BA2 is usually diverted to LGW as it's where the aircraft is maintained and the flight deck and cabin crew are also based. With the second flight now gone, there is no wiggle room. If the flight doesn't land at LCY from NY within a reasonable timeframe, then it's cancelled. The second aircraft - EUNB was on a one year lease (dunno if it's still there - I see it on flightradar24 occasionally) with Titan based out of Stansted. Looking at it's lack of use, I suspect it may not have been chartered as much as predicted. I also haven't seen BA use it at all, though if BA2 can't land - then neither can EUNB.

I've done BA 1 - both on Concorde and LCY - Shannon - NY. It is unique, and a one off experience - almost like being in a private jet with three gatwick crew who deliver a good product. Given it's departure time, the worst thing that will happen is you taxi to LHR and get a mid afternoon flight. Plus - pre clearance at Shannon is hassle free and a pleasant experience
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
The OPs flight was today so he’s over that there Atlantic at this moment!

I agree with his comments on Pilots ‘restaurant’.

re the crew - cabin crew are indeed LGW based - they stay at LCY the night before - but the pilots are LHR based and travel to LCY the same morning.
george77300 and Sealink like this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Amazing flight. Landed at Gate 1 at JFK.

Food was excellent, despite looks!
Old Feb 13, 2019, 3:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I have seen a lot worse presented BA meals on here ( ie the F Lobster thermidor!!)

Glad you enjoyed your flight.

Regards

TBS
Sealink likes this.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 5:38 pm
Original Poster

Oooh and look at the bread...

Old Feb 13, 2019, 8:07 pm

Programs: BA Exec Club - Demoted to Bronze and re-promoted to Silver alongside AC Elite 50K (gold) in 2022
I was told that the pilots were also LGW. Judging by the age of the first officer with his guitar over his shoulder at Shannon, I am sure they are also LGW!! The pilots also night stop in Shannon ie drop back one day before the NY leg as they are out of hours doing both sectors. The Cabin crew do back to backs and so taxi from LGW the day before, do a NY, night stop, LCY, night stop, NY, night stop, LCY and taxi back to LGW so it's a five day trip for them

They were great - clearly a prestige route and hand picked I'd guess. Its one of those routes where it's demanding due to the high level of service they need to provide, but with 32 PAX max unlikely to be stressful! On the way back, it's a doddle - its a pre-eat job at JFK and lights out. Before you know it, the lights are on, brekkers and a fast exit from LCY
Old Feb 14, 2019, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by Mikey Mike Mike
I've done BA 1 - both on Concorde and LCY - Shannon - NY. It is unique, and a one off experience - almost like being in a private jet with three gatwick crew who deliver a good product. Given it's departure time, the worst thing that will happen is you taxi to LHR and get a mid afternoon flight. Plus - pre clearance at Shannon is hassle free and a pleasant experience
Is there pre-clearance at Shannon for BA1 on Fri which departs LCY at 12:45? I read somewhere that it may be closed at that time. Maybe the BA3 afternoon flight when it was still scheduled.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.