Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

unexpected additional tier points & a question about my gf

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

MAD to LHR in CE today, returning after christmas. App tells me I'm earning 120TP (and 5895 avios) for this although the usual is 80, so wondering why the TP bonus?
Also, my gf is flying the return leg with me on a reward flight in economy. Can I swap seats with her when we've boarded or is that not allowed? Failing that, if there is a seat free next to me in row 1, what are the chances of asking for her to sit with me (without eating)? Is that very frowned upon or at the discretion of the crew? It happened before with another couple a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to mind.
I'm Gold if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:19 pm

Swap seats - should be doable.

Sitting in CE on an economy ticket - unlikely.
EuropeanPete and orbitmic like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:25 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I would agree with the seat swapping. That is usually allowed but is at the discretion of the crew. As for someone with an Economy ticket being allowed to sit in CE gratis, that is exceptionally unlikely. The only reason I can think of would be some issue on board where the seat was perhaps found to be defective or where there was a missing seatbelt or some such thing. Even then it would be predicated upon there being no other available seat in economy.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:34 pm

Programs: BA Silver
Originally Posted by simons1
Sitting in CE on an economy ticket - unlikely.
I have heard this request many time, and often the crew is helpful if the other seat is empty, after take off.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:48 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
That would drive me mad!
86BA7 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:05 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
I don't understand the extra TPs unless there is another flight on the booking or perhaps you changed the flights.

For the CE seat, just ask the senior cabin crew member to swap your seats. On that route, with a high number of management travellers I can't see them being generous and allowing both of you into CE, it is certainly frowned upon. But maybe there is / will be CE Avios spaces for your companion? In which case call up and change it. If it's not worth that, then I don't think it's worth prevailing on the crew. If the crew prevail on you, that, as they say, is different.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 2:15 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Over the years I've read numerous posts where someone has asked some variant of the same question - i.e. does the fact that I know someone else on the flight get me/them what amounts to a free upgrade? On the other hand I can't remember anyone asking "Since I'd really like to fly next to my g.f. would there be any problem if I went back to economy and offered her seat neighbour (if she has one) my seat in CE?". That, of course, would be far less objectionable. This is not meant as an attack on this particular OP who phrased his question reasonably enough, but is just an expression of curiosity as to why a sense of entitlement to something for nothing seems so widespread here...
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: qr
Originally Posted by CCayley
Over the years I've read numerous posts where someone has asked some variant of the same question - i.e. does the fact that I know someone else on the flight get me/them what amounts to a free upgrade? On the other hand I can't remember anyone asking "Since I'd really like to fly next to my g.f. would there be any problem if I went back to economy and offered her seat neighbour (if she has one) my seat in CE?". That, of course, would be far less objectionable. This is not meant as an attack on this particular OP who phrased his question reasonably enough, but is just an expression of curiosity as to why a sense of entitlement to something for nothing seems so widespread here...
reminds me of a trip last year my daughter took to Cyprus. I bought her a ticket and she was travelling with her best friend on the same flight. My daughter had just attained bronze, when boarding she had the magic bleep and was upgraded to CE, flight was overbooked in ET. She rang me almost in tears to say she had been seperated from her friend and was now in CE. told her to speak to senior flight crew and see about a move. She did this and the rather perplexed crew member arranged a swap with a passenger who was sitting next to her friend in ET , who got put in CE. so she ended up next to her friend economy which I have to say was gracious of her . This after travelling the week before back with me on QR in Business and an upgrade to FIrst class. As she gains more travelling experience I doubt she would do that again , but I hope she would😂
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:29 pm
Original Poster

this is a brilliant idea and one, to my shame, that I hadn't even thought of. I shall do exactly that. Thank you.
orbitmic, CCayley and estate like this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:30 pm
Original Poster

corporate-wage-slave - i switched from the 459 to the 457 as i was there early and they were happy to swap them. does this mean the extra tier points will be deducted...?

Last edited by musical; Dec 19, 2018 at 3:31 pm Reason: tagged CWS
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:39 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by musical
corporate-wage-slave - i switched from the 459 to the 457 as i was there early and they were happy to swap them. does this mean the extra tier points will be deducted...?
Not so much 'deducted' but likely the extra tier points will simply not be credited because what is showing in MMB is very likely to be an IT error.
It's probably still seeing the originally booked sector and adding them all up (40+40+40) to show 120 rather than 80.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
Not so much 'deducted' but likely the extra tier points will simply not be credited because what is showing in MMB is very likely to be an IT error.
It's probably still seeing the originally booked sector and adding them all up (40+40+40) to show 120 rather than 80.
but, but, but it's Christmas! 🙄
Makes sense... Thank you.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 3:52 pm

This is definitely a more noble sentiment but I feel it is very harsh to call it a "sense of entitlement" unless the person requesting it does so with arrogance and expecting the staff to instantly accommodate their request.

After all, I would consider it quite natural that the person would try to improve the situation for his partner rather than demote his own experience. I fully support the mindset that you "don't ask, don't get". Obviously, as long as you ask very politely and with no expectation of entitlement
SkyTeem likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:14 pm
Moderator, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges, and Ambassador, British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold; Flying Blue Life Platinum; LH Sen.; Hilton Diamond; Kemal Kebabs Prized Customer
Originally Posted by musical
but, but, but it's Christmas! ��
You probably don't want to know what CCayley makes of that line of argument!
rockflyertalk likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 4:33 pm

Programs: BA (GGL/CCR)
Originally Posted by ThePointsChaser
This is definitely a more noble sentiment but I feel it is very harsh to call it a "sense of entitlement" unless the person requesting it does so with arrogance and expecting the staff to instantly accommodate their request.

After all, I would consider it quite natural that the person would try to improve the situation for his partner rather than demote his own experience. I fully support the mindset that you "don't ask, don't get". Obviously, as long as you ask very politely and with no expectation of entitlement
1. A person with no sense of entitlement whose genuine priority was to sit with their loved one/colleague/mother in law/whatever would be happy to go with my suggestion and accept a downgrade to achieve their objective. OP, to his credit, appears to fit this category;
2. A person with no sense of entitlement whose genuine priority was to sit with their loved one/colleague/mother in law/whatever but didn't like the idea of the downgrade would fish into their wallet and spend £££ or Avios to achieve their desire;
3. Only a person with a sense of entitlement would imagine they have a right to sit with their loved one/colleague/mother in law/whatever in the higher cabin but for free.
glennhaak and Sealink like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.