FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   British Airways | Executive Club (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club-446/)
-   -   Sleeper service - what's involved? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/british-airways-executive-club/1946608-sleeper-service-whats-involved.html)

Tredders Dec 19, 2018 7:40 am

Sleeper service - what's involved?

Hi all

Probably a basic question, but I can't find an answer. I'm flying to Dubai from LHR on Friday of this week, returning early on Monday morning at 02:25. Both flights in Club World. The BA website tells me that this is a sleeper service, but having never flown on one before, I don't really know what this means. From googling, it seems as though you're expected to eat in the lounge prior to flight, as the on-board catering is limited. If this is the case, does it mean that there's proper dining options in the BA lounge? And that there's no food service on the flight (other than the Club kitchen?).

Any info would be appreciated- thanks.

corporate-wage-slave Dec 19, 2018 7:56 am

The full on Sleeper Service has gone (at one stage the onboard catering was a biscuit and hot chocolate!) so there is now a one tray proper food service which should be fine for most people (granted that this is trencherperson territory). There will be a buffet in the lounge, but frankly the best idea regardless of cabin is to book a hotel restaurant in Dubai for a late meal en route to the airport, arrive stuffed well after midnight, have the cheese plate on board then night-night.

It's called the Good Night service or something similar now.

rossmacd Dec 19, 2018 8:20 am

Originally Posted by Tredders (Post 30552623)
Sleeper service - what's involved?

Sleep ;)

In seriousness, the majority of passengers will be bedding down as soon as you reach the top of the climb to maximise the short flight time. Eat before hand, and go onto the aircraft ready to go to sleep (having taken whatever you need - sleeping tablets and/or alcohol). Then wake up somewhere between 40 and 20 minutes out of London.

Can I help you Dec 19, 2018 8:25 am

After takeoff you will be offered sandwiches, soup, dessert and cheese, before landing a full hot breakfast.

Tredders Dec 19, 2018 8:45 am

Thanks all. Sounds like a late dinner, a few glasses of red, and some sleep will be the best option then.

jamesreid978 Dec 19, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Can I help you (Post 30552796)
After takeoff you will be offered sandwiches, soup, dessert and cheese, before landing a full hot breakfast.

This is exactly what was offered on today’s 2:25 service. It was accompanied by an extremely drunk Irishmen in 64A. Constant shouting from him for the first few hours, plus creepily sitting on his footstall/side bins. My partner and I swapped (I was in 64K and her in J) as she felt really awkward.

Not many people slept to be honest, which I thought was unusual. Nearly all screens were on for the majority of the flight which in addition to the screaming drunk Irishmen didn’t lend itself to a “goodnight service”.

As per all ME flights, the Breakfast won’t contain pork. The “English” breakfast offering was chicken sausage and veal bacon this morning. I passed and got some bacon rolls in the club lounge after the flight instead.

Geo772 Dec 19, 2018 11:34 am

I used to take this flight quite often but eventually got fed up with experiences like jamesreid978 had. I tended to eat in town and leave for the airport as others were heading to bed. While it should have been possible to get 6 hours of sleep I rarely got more than about 3.

In the end I gave up on this flight and took the morning daylight back instead which gets in to London shortly after lunch. It was far more civilised and one didn't feel like garbage after the flight.

simons1 Dec 19, 2018 11:40 am

Originally Posted by Geo772 (Post 30553530)
I used to take this flight quite often but eventually got fed up with experiences like jamesreid978 had. I tended to eat in town and leave for the airport as others were heading to bed. While it should have been possible to get 6 hours of sleep I rarely got more than about 3.

In the end I gave up on this flight and took the morning daylight back instead which gets in to London shortly after lunch. It was far more civilised and one didn't feel like garbage after the flight.

Same here. I tried the 02.50 EK service a few times but never managed more than 4 hours of sleep.

Swanhunter Dec 19, 2018 11:43 am

One of those flights where there should be the option (at the very least) of a cabin with no service at all. It bemuses me that travelling to the airport and boarding a plane renders people so hungry they have to eat at 3:30 am. There is a marginal case of breakfast, but only marginal.

criso Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am

I was on the equivalent service out of Abu Dhabi at the weekend (started in WTP but got moved up to CW). Assuming it's the same there were 3 waking time/eating options for breakfast on the card from full breakfast about 90 minutes before to just before landing with a cup of tea.

Most people were sleeping on that one and the cabin was very quiet.