Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Was it possible to celebrate New Year in London and then New York flying concorde?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Was it possible to celebrate New Year in London and then New York flying concorde?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: Star Alliance Gold (A3 Gold), Oneworld Emerald (BA Gold), Hilton Diamond

I'm currently writing up an article for teaching English on the subject of celebrating New Year's Eve twice. It got me thinking, was it possible to do this when Concorde was operating. I'm sure it would have been very tight (especially with the traffic), but theoretically it must have been possible. Does anyone know?, or maybe someone actually did it.

It would also be great to hear other stories of flying somewhere to catch the New Year for a second time.

Many thanks and best wishes to all for Christmas and the New Year!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:29 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Well if you could afford a Concorde ticket on NYE, I am wondering if you could also afford a helicopter transfer to LHR from eg Battersea heliport, in which case it sounds do-able to me....

Assuming you're allowed to do the transfer? Anyone know if that's feasible???
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:38 am
amt

Programs: BA GGL & CCR
Was it possible Yes... Concorde LHR-JFK was typically 3.5hrs, NYC is GMT-5. You’d have to leave between 00:01 and 01:29. The evening Concorde departure was I believe about 18:30-19:00 and Heathrow curfew is 11:30pm.

CX has flights leaving HKG to SFO/LAX/YVR between 00:15 and 01:00. You could celebrate New Years in HKG and arrive in any of the above for 20:00-21:00 the same day.

Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by headingwest
I'm currently writing up an article for teaching English on the subject of celebrating New Year's Eve twice. It got me thinking, was it possible to do this when Concorde was operating. I'm sure it would have been very tight (especially with the traffic), but theoretically it must have been possible. Does anyone know?
In theory yes, but you would have had to charter the aircraft as there was no scheduled flight at the necessary times, and you would have had to deal with the noise issue given the unsocial hours at which such a charter flight would have had to operate.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:45 am

Originally Posted by Pascoe
Well if you could afford a Concorde ticket on NYE, I am wondering if you could also afford a helicopter transfer to LHR from eg Battersea heliport, in which case it sounds do-able to me....

Assuming you're allowed to do the transfer? Anyone know if that's feasible???
Maybe it's just the routes I look at, but I've generally found flights on NYE to be cheaper than the surrounding dates. I'd imagine most people would want to fly before/after and spent NYE itself on the ground
Old Dec 19, 2018, 6:51 am

It would be a lot cheaper to walk across the Spain/Portugal border.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 7:07 am

Programs: BA GGL & GfL, AA LTP, Marriott (sigh) Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by amt
Was it possible Yes... Concorde LHR-JFK was typically 3.5hrs, NYC is GMT-5. You’d have to leave between 00:01 and 01:29. The evening Concorde departure was I believe about 18:30-19:00 and Heathrow curfew is 11:30pm.

CX has flights leaving HKG to SFO/LAX/YVR between 00:15 and 01:00. You could celebrate New Years in HKG and arrive in any of the above for 20:00-21:00 the same day.

conversely, flying US-HKG is a great way to skip your birthday! ....hey if i arrive a day after my birthday, i definitely didnt turn 40!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:05 am
Carlson Contributor Badge

Programs: M&M FTL, Miles+Bonus Gold
Originally Posted by VSLover
conversely, flying US-HKG is a great way to skip your birthday! ....hey if i arrive a day after my birthday, i definitely didnt turn 40!
or maybe UA101 IAH-SYD
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:28 am

Programs: BA Silver AA Lifetime Gold
Didn't Carl Cox play at NYE parties in Sydney and Honolulu on Millenium eve?
Going the same way I've celebrated my birthday twice, leaving AKL around 1800 in the evening of my birthday and arriving in LAX in the morning of the same day.

Spike
Swanhunter likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:36 am

Programs: BA GGLfL, WoH Lifetime Globalist, HH Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by amt

Arriving 20:00-21:00 the previous day (New Year's Eve) surely?

Doc Copper
Old Dec 19, 2018, 8:50 am

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by Funky Spike
Going the same way I've celebrated my birthday twice, leaving AKL around 1800 in the evening of my birthday and arriving in LAX in the morning of the same day.

Spike
there were reports of a couple taking a round the world cruise to celebrate their 50th wedding anniversary. It so happened that as they were going Westwards, when they crossed the international dateline, they would jump forward a whole day. The date that they crossed it? You guessed it, their wedding anniversary! So they missed the date completely. If the same thing had happened on an Eastbound cruise, they would have got the chance to celebrate twice.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:06 am

The Book Billion Dollar Whale talks about how they celebrated new years in Australia and then flew to Las Vegas in their rented 747 and did new years all over again.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Mucci. Nothing else matters.
Originally Posted by Reetmafreen
If the same thing had happened on an Eastbound cruise, they would have got the chance to celebrate twice.
But at quite a price, in my book: a significant number of 23-hour days. I long ago decided that if I were ever to do a round-the-world cruise, it would have to be in the westbound direction.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:01 am
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
Going from the east coast of Australia to the West Coast of the USA, of course you arrive before you've even left.... Have done that more than a few times.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 10:13 am
DVT

Programs: BA Bronze
Originally Posted by Funky Spike

Spike
I think that Phil Collins also played at Live Aid London and then took Concorde and played in Live Aid US (Philadelphia?) on the same day too.
scolbath likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.