Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

is there an EX-US loophole similar to the EX-EU?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC

apologies if this has been discussed before, but a quick google search only returned threads from several years ago.

I was just wondering, is there such a thing as an ex-US loophole similar to how the ex-EU cheaper J fares work?

thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:53 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Sorry, don't have an answer but GREAT QUESTION
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:55 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Sort of, but not for the reasons that this works in the EU.

In the US, it may be possible to find F/J fares which are cheaper when purchased originating at a city other than the intended physical origin and they may be cheap enough that it is worth purchasing a positioning ticket to fly out to that city.

The principle underlying the EU scheme is simply more pronounced because the Irish market, by way of example, will not support LON pricing. But, EU law prohibits price discrimination within the EU. Thus, if BA offers DUB-LHR-JFK for less than LHR-JFK it may not impose an Irish residency requirement on the ticket.

The constraints are the same too. There is nothing wrong with either form of ticketing. But, if one engages in hidden city ticketing fraud by skipping the final segment, one risks all of the outcomes which might occur.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:20 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: BA Lifetime Gold. GGL/CCR.
Originally Posted by hyperspace
apologies if this has been discussed before, but a quick google search only returned threads from several years ago.

I was just wondering, is there such a thing as an ex-US loophole similar to how the ex-EU cheaper J fares work?

thanks!
Yes there is and I try to use it when possible. Try using Matrix to search from JFK, BOS, ORD and a range other other cities to DUB, LUX, CPH, AMS and a range of other European cities.

Matrix is still very useful for this because all the departure cities are in the same country unlike ex-EU where a Matrix search limits you to a single country as the departure point.

I have found some outstanding deals using this method over the past 2-3 years. I have never missed a final sector.
Sealink likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 9:55 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Unfortunately not OneWorld but AC has some amazing biz class fares from the US to Asia and Europe. I really should be Star too but I keep hoping that BA will revert to 10 years ago fares-wise
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:11 pm

Programs: BA bronze, Aeroplan peon
I have done trip in the past to a city on the continent that were much cheaper than to LHR. LIN used to be a cheap destination, so I would go from Canada to LIN, have lunch and then on a separate ticket go back to LHR. Coming home, I used the second half of my LIN-LHR return ticket and then flew LIN-Canada, connecting in LHR.

Price was often less than half of a Canada -LHR return. In this case, all sectors have to be used, as the final LHR-Canada sector is what was really desired, the detour to Europe is simply to get the cheap fare and extra TP's. Also from a Canadian perspective, you can sound posh at cocktail parties to say you went to Milan for lunch...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:23 pm

Programs: BA Gold/Marriott Gold/HH Diamond/IC Plat Amba
Originally Posted by Jagboi
I have done trip in the past to a city on the continent that were much cheaper than to LHR. LIN used to be a cheap destination, so I would go from Canada to LIN, have lunch and then on a separate ticket go back to LHR. Coming home, I used the second half of my LIN-LHR return ticket and then flew LIN-Canada, connecting in LHR.

Price was often less than half of a Canada -LHR return. In this case, all sectors have to be used, as the final LHR-Canada sector is what was really desired, the detour to Europe is simply to get the cheap fare and extra TP's. Also from a Canadian perspective, you can sound posh at cocktail parties to say you went to Milan for lunch...
I have done the same and got caught up in a Italian strike. Since then I try to look for the elusive Germany or Northern European sale fare. AMS tends to be the cheapest and least likely to be hit by a strike. I avoid Belgium,France,Spain and Italy for these reasons.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:53 pm

Programs: BMI Diamond Club Gold forever
I live in Seattle and find ex-YVR is very much like ex-EU- generally 20-35% cheaper than similar ex-SEA routing. It is clear that YVR cannot sustain the same pricing as we have here.

I have a Nexus card for quick border crossing by car and it generally only adds 90 minutes on to my journey to drive up to YVR. Last trip in Dec ex-YVR was $3400 and ex-SEA was $7200 so an even bigger savings.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:58 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
I wouldn't describe this as a loophole. The reason some places are a lot cheaper (thinking AMS, Scandinavia) is that there is healthy competition and people are more price sensitive. Also worth pointing out that these are usually sale prices and not available year round.
mec72 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:16 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
In my experience it isn't common to find the backtrack sort of savings (where you might fly LHR-DUB, then DUB-LHR-JFK), but cities do have different prices depending on the market and competition. For example, LAX is far more competitive than PHX, so I often find it far cheaper to buy a separate PHX-LAX ticket, then an onward LAX-LHR, rather than PHX-LHR or even a single PHX-LAX-LHR ticket.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:42 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BAEC
Originally Posted by Jagboi

I’m originally from Milan! So I’ll definitely check routing via Canada!

thank you all for the many replies and insights.

I’m based In Los Angeles, so everything is pretty expensive considering there’s a lot of wealth here and many people can easily afford J and F seats.

I rarely have to fly only to LHR, usually continuing onward to Milan. I can see fares can be cheaper getting to Italy rather than ending the journey in London, but we’re still very far from some of the amazing ex-EU fares I see in this forum.
I’ll try play a bit more with ITA matrix.

thanks!

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:14 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.

I’m originally from Milan! So I’ll definitely check routing via Canada!

thank you all for the many replies and insights.

I’m based In Los Angeles, so everything is pretty expensive considering there’s a lot of wealth here and many people can easily afford J and F seats.

I rarely have to fly only to LHR, usually continuing onward to Milan. I can see fares can be cheaper getting to Italy rather than ending the journey in London, but we’re still very far from some of the amazing ex-EU fares I see in this forum.
I’ll try play a bit more with ITA matrix.

thanks!

Los Angeles is actually more competitive than other cities (not that it means it's cheap though). But you can check LAS and SFO and SJC (maybe SAN too?) for alternatives. Also look at this thread (it's AA but you can find BA operated)
FAQ: aavacations.com / AA Vacations flight & vacation package questions, discussion

It's sometimes cheaper to buy the hotel+flight package and not use the hotel!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:23 am

Programs: MUCCI du gingembre cinquant, CAMRA

thanks!
I asked this question on the AA forum here. Ex-EU really does seem to be an anomaly all of it's own.

G40
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold 1MM, BA Gold, UA Peon
You can, as mentioned above, find some cheaper flights from out-of-the-way cities in the USA and those are legitimate fares to take. Do be aware that AA is much more vigorous about enforcing their rules on hidden city ticketing than BA is; definitely do not make a habit of failing to take your return flight to your small-town origin and instead getting out at the large transfer hub.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:09 am

Programs: BA GGL; SK EBG; QF LTG; Hilton Diamond, A-Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
I would not say that EU is a pricing anomaly. Probably more of the norm, lots of different countries, all within limited space with preference pricing for direct vs non direct pricing. You would see similar with say LH with LHR origin vs MUC or FRA. And same goes for SK, LX, SN and the like. Enables the yield people to manage supply and demand. CX are masters of this, look at /I/ availability out of say LHR or CDG versus out of ARN or CPH - you will be taking the same long haul segments but with very different prices and very different availability on LHR-HKG based on your starting point.

Similiars would be SE Asia with hkg, Bkk, sin, kul etc, same with northern Asia, Middle East, Africa etc..

just hard to to find in the USA as it is one country so often priced similarly.

At at the end of the day, BA is very happy to sell tickets in business ex Scandinavia or Netherlands.

KF

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.