Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it my imagination or have redemption taxes and charges on LHR-JFK-LHR gone up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it my imagination or have redemption taxes and charges on LHR-JFK-LHR gone up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum

I could swear they total charges were around the £550 mark until recently which was bad enough but they are now a whooping £650 on a return in J.

And yes, am I aware our friends on the other side of the pond have it worse. much worse...
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:53 am

You are correct, it’s happened in the last couple of months. It makes the economics of a redemption marginal even with an AmEx 2-4-1.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:08 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club, Iberia Airlines, Airport Lounges and Environmentally Friendly Travel

Yes, I noticed the cost had crept up to ~£650 when I redeemed Avios last month for my IAD F ticket
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:13 am

Cash only to the USA for me now! 241 a waste of time.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
If it’s a flight after next April APD will go up by £16 per person. There could be marginal increases in airport fees etc

But the bulk is down to BA so is not a tax at all.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There have been no appreciable tax increases on either UK or US end in the last year. The next anticipated increase is APD, but that is only GBP 16, so the remainder is unaccounted for.

Perhaps those are BA's fees having nothing to do with taxes?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:29 am

Isn't the vast bulk of the increase due to BA surcharges which are completely under their control.

​​​​​​Stealth devaluation of redemption currency
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:50 am

Programs: BA Gold, Amex Centurion, HH Diam
Originally Posted by contractor
Isn't the vast bulk of the increase due to BA surcharges which are completely under their control.

​​​​​​Stealth devaluation of redemption currency
Under their control, yet out of control. BA surcharges on the other side of the pond have gone into stupid territory now.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
F redemption tickets on Avios are now in the £1000 equivalent from the east coast of North America USA or Canada. Plus the avois.....
not worth it anymore
CW now over £800 in fees return.
Xonus likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:54 am

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
It is mad how much they are now, it’s almost got to the point that UUA fro WT+ is a mega bargain once more!

Ive long since stopped looking to convert MR points to avios, can get LH F for the 10,000 more points and around the same fees as BA J, or LX J for 5,000 points and about £350 less!

I still see a little value in BA F at 400 odd quid and 80k miles but it is now just a little
Old Dec 18, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
I agree that charges for flights originating in the US are ridiculous. It is getting to the stage where I am thinking of biting the bullet and booking a one-way Avios ticket from the US to the UK and then booking everything else as UK - US - UK to bring both the base fare and upgrade costs to more reasonable levels.

However, to counter what was said above, I still think that upgrade instruments (whether 241 or GUF) are still excellent value for money, and even using Avios for Y redemptions (especially AA or AS for example) can be worthwhile.
aircrashsurvivor likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:08 pm

Programs: BA GGL; SPG Plat; HH Diamond
Time for a revolution

So what are we going to do about it? Just sit back and allow them to rip us off - raise it again and again until when? It's already beyond ridiculous.......
We need to create awareness of the situation, group together on social media and other public travel forums.
It's time to be disruptive!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:11 pm
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by arir
So what are we going to do about it? Just sit back and allow them to rip us off - raise it again and again until when? It's already beyond ridiculous.......
We need to create awareness of the situation, group together on social media and other public travel forums.
It's time to be disruptive!
just book another carrier seems the simple solution if you aren’t happy with it.

i can’t imagine there will be any traction for some public campaign for it, especially when most people are not going to be sympathetic to those having to pay more to travel in J or F.
LTN Phobia likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:13 pm

Programs: BA GGL, Matmid Gold, TAP Air S* Gold, Hertz President's Circle
Airlines have an understanding with their frequent flyers.

Fly us a lot and we will give you perks and free flights.

It is patently unfair for them to keep switching the rules over and over and over again.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:15 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Bronze, Hilton Gold
Taxes and fees were £654 on a redemption to New York

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.