Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is it my imagination or have redemption taxes and charges on LHR-JFK-LHR gone up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is it my imagination or have redemption taxes and charges on LHR-JFK-LHR gone up?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:40 pm

Programs: BA blue,, aeroplan 25K
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I agree that charges for flights originating in the US are ridiculous. It is getting to the stage where I am thinking of biting the bullet and booking a one-way Avios ticket from the US to the UK and then booking everything else as UK - US - UK to bring both the base fare and upgrade costs to more reasonable levels.

However, to counter what was said above, I still think that upgrade instruments (whether 241 or GUF) are still excellent value for money, and even using Avios for Y redemptions (especially AA or AS for example) can be worthwhile.
this is EXACTLY what we have done for next year. Booked a one way avios to london and have 3 trips “originating” now from London. Two on Air Canada’s signature executive first and with a 15% discount from a friend who works for AC it was less than $3000Can or £1700 return !!!!!! And changes are allowed at the lower fares compared to BA.
Geordie405 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:59 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
While the advice to use another carrier often rightly applies for revenue bookings we are talking about avios redemptions here. If you have that as your currency and especially if you want to use a 241 voucher you are pretty much locked into paying these extortionate charges for TATL trips.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by flygod
Cash only to the USA for me now! 241 a waste of time.
How so? I can fly myself and my wife from LHR to JFK in F during June next year for 136k avios plus £1,336.18 in taxes and charges if I use an Amex 2 4 1. If I chose to pay cash for the same flights the total cost is £6,716.04.

I agree that the taxes and charges are high, but for those of us with champagne tastes and a lemonade budget first class leisure travel is now accessible simply by being careful what credit cards we use for everyday spending (and being flexible when and where we travel!).

I'm relatively new to collecting avios and 2 4 1s etc, and perhaps missing something fundamental to the more seasoned travellers, but to me it still seems like a good deal.

Last edited by grantsteve; Dec 18, 2018 at 2:16 pm Reason: typos
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold
£6.7k for two might be the current price in your dates, but you can often get JFK well under £2K in F, and if you started at INV sometimes around £1,600.

So taking the 2-4-1 out of the equation - £650 + 136,000 Avios is not great value
Old Dec 18, 2018, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by grantsteve
How so? I can fly myself and my wife from LHR to JFK in F during June next year for 136k avios plus £1,336.18 in taxes and charges if I use an Amex 2 4 1. If I chose to pay cash for the same flights the total cost is £6,716.04.
I agree to a point that it is still a decent option at least for F. But some of this comes down to your other options. If you options are cash then yeah still a good deal. For me I have many, many points across multiple airlines and many in transferable currencies such as Amex and Chase that transfer to BA and other carriers besides. I used to be a fan of the 2-4-1 from Chase in the US but I would transfer to BAEC from Amex MR or Chase UR points. Now other carriers present a better opportunity to me. But then I am points rich and prefer to burn them vs cash when I can. Also several times in the past few years I have been able to get decently cheap J fares ex-US on BA for less/equal/little more than BA's insane taxes and fees. At that point it becomes a lot more interesting to just pay cash and possibly upgrade to F with points and earn many (or most depending on status) back from the underlying J fare.

Incidentally VS seems to have also raised their fees to more or less match BA.
Ldnn1 likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
Just wondering, where are all these taxes going to?
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:30 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by fotographer
Just wondering, where are all these taxes going to?
They're not taxes, they're "Carrie surcharges"... I assume the higher amounts are being justified to pay for the cost of the Dover class action lawsuit. See the discussion in Ex-US Fuel Surcharges for F up 50% .

Note that the US surcharges are going in the opposite direction of the exchange rate fluctuations. The changes were made when oil was at its relative high for the past few years, but oil prices have now dropped down ~30%, but we'll never see the surcharges decrease.

Given the level of carrier surcharges, BA might as well offer tier points and avios for award bookings at this point since it's more akin to a part-cash, part-avios payment mechanism at the current rates.
allset2travel likes this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:34 pm
Ambassador: Emirates Airlines

You lot are lucky... A MAN-DXB redemption on EK has about £900 in taxes /surcharges last time I checked
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:49 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by mikeyfly
[left]£6.7k for two might be the current price in your dates, but you can often get JFK well under £2K in F, and if you started at INV sometimes around £1,600.
If that is the date you want, then redeeming Avios would be a great value.

If your dates are more flexible, then you might as well look for the £2k fare.

I suspect part of the problem is that BA have created this dissatisfaction by feeding too many extremely low fares for premium class travel, got people used to that, and now that they raised the cash component for Avios redemption, it seems like very poor value, even though in reality it is not poor value by normal standard.
PETER01, Geordie405 and dougzz like this.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 3:58 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by LTN Phobia
I suspect part of the problem is that BA have created this dissatisfaction by feeding too many extremely low fares for premium class travel, got people used to that, and now that they raised the cash component for Avios redemption, it seems like very poor value, even though in reality it is not poor value by normal standard.
I agree 100% with this. I don't want to sound like Supermac but, really, "You've never had it so good" when it comes to extremely low fares for premium class travel. When you look at some of the fares that have been available over the last 12 months and the TP runs that have been available on an ex-EU basis (or to a lesser extent by booking from INV) it's hardly surprising that people start to baulk at what they perceive to be extortionate fees & taxes etc.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:05 pm

Programs: BA (GGL G4L), AA (Gold), HH (Diamond); Marriott (Gold)
Originally Posted by Geordie405
I agree 100% with this. I don't want to sound like Supermac but, really, "You've never had it so good" when it comes to extremely low fares for premium class travel. When you look at some of the fares that have been available over the last 12 months and the TP runs that have been available on an ex-EU basis (or to a lesser extent by booking from INV) it's hardly surprising that people start to baulk at what they perceive to be extortionate fees & taxes etc.
I would argue the same has not been the case in the reverse direction (ex-US), where both the fares and surcharges are substantially higher. Other than very short term sales, the prices have been among the highest in CW that I've seen in the past 10 years (though the difference in price between CW and F has often been the smallest I've seen).

I did use Avios and a joker about 18 months ago for a booking less than a week out with only a few days of duration, and it was nice to use the joker plus avios instead of $16,000 or so! Currently the sweet spot for avios redemeptions is last minute premium travel, when you're able to find (or with a joker, force) availability.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:23 pm
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
I think people need to stop comparing Avios + cash component to the lowest possible available fare and look at it on the day they want to travel to assess the true value of it and decide whether to make a cash booking or use Avios, rather than feeling grumpy about the high cash component, or if they feel that the cash components are still too high regardless, then they'd need to vote with their feet, or simply book another carrier with which they can use Avios (although obvious 2-4-1 wouldn't work).

Originally Posted by dylanks
Currently the sweet spot for avios redemeptions is last minute premium travel, when you're able to find (or with a joker, force) availability.
Or Gold redemption at double Avios 30 days out when the fares on a particular date is already high.

Further, Avios seats can also be available to the general public even after all the lower fares with the advance booking requirements are no longer available and they can indeed be terrific value.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 4:36 pm

Programs: BA - Blue > Bronze > Silver > Bronze > Blue
Originally Posted by KARFA

just book another carrier seems the simple solution if you aren’t happy with it.

i can’t imagine there will be any traction for some public campaign for it, especially when most people are not going to be sympathetic to those having to pay more to travel in J or F.
That's what I've done, as covered above. I'm going via Europe when on miles now ex-US, paying for Norwegian when flying direct.

BA must be getting bookings, my 400,000 Avios are pretty much ear marked for AA domestics now, although in BOS, my options are limited when charged by sector.

Last edited by Cap'n Benj; Dec 19, 2018 at 12:30 pm
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:29 pm

Programs: AA-EXP & 1MM+, AS, MR-LTT, HH Gold
Originally Posted by mda03jb
You are correct, it’s happened in the last couple of months. It makes the economics of a redemption marginal even with an AmEx 2-4-1.
I let one 2-4-1 expire recently. Makes absolutely no sense to redeem it!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL, IHG Diamond Elite Amb, HH Diamond, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum
Originally Posted by aircrashsurvivor
F redemption tickets on Avios are now in the £1000 equivalent from the east coast of North America USA or Canada. Plus the avois.....
not worth it anymore
CW now over £800 in fees return.
You might want to check again. CW return from JFK or LAX is an eye watering circa £1150 in taxes and fees.

Last edited by clubman; Dec 18, 2018 at 10:46 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.