Search

Tax Refund on Unused Sector?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2018, 5:40 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Tax Refund on Unused Sector?

Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check before i go chasing/wasting my time with BA on this matter as this is a first for me.

I just found out that one of my family members did not fly their return sector and instead abandoned it instead due to a death in the family causing an extended stay at their destination before returning to London. Instead of providing a death certificate and changing the flights etc, instead the return sector was abandoned and a new oneway ticket (SVQ-LGW) on Ryanair was purchased. I know getting back the fare of the return sector is not going to happen, but is there any chance to recover any taxes? The routing was LGW-SVQ-LGW and travel was in CE on an IB issued ticket.

Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2018, 6:21 am

Programs: BAEC Gold! Thanks to FT
Originally Posted by Flame3601
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to check before i go chasing/wasting my time with BA on this matter as this is a first for me.

I just found out that one of my family members did not fly their return sector and instead abandoned it instead due to a death in the family causing an extended stay at their destination before returning to London. Instead of providing a death certificate and changing the flights etc, instead the return sector was abandoned and a new oneway ticket (SVQ-LGW) on Ryanair was purchased. I know getting back the fare of the return sector is not going to happen, but is there any chance to recover any taxes? The routing was LGW-SVQ-LGW and travel was in CE on an IB issued ticket.

Thanks!
Sorry for your loss, I think BA charge £25 for the return of unused taxes so unlikely to get anything back.

You never know if you email BA stating the reason the flight wasn’t flown and asking where you scan a copy of the death certificate to get the taxes back they might just refund the sector as well although under no obligation to.
Old Dec 18, 2018, 7:04 am

Originally Posted by Flame3601
The routing was LGW-SVQ-LGW and travel was in CE on an IB issued ticket.
The majority of taxes on the ticket would have been 'used' on the outbound flightUnited Kingdom Passenger Service Charge Departures (UB)£13.96United Kingdom Air Passenger Duty APD (GB)£26.00Spain Departure Charge (JD)£5.20Spain Aviation Safety And Security Fee (OG)£0.50Spain Security Tax (QV)£3.10the Spanish taxes (if refundable) come to under £9..
Old Dec 20, 2018, 5:01 am
Original Poster

Programs: BA Exec Gold , Qatar Priviledge Club Plat
Thanks, i sent off an email to BA to see if they will refund the taxes and if they will additionally refund the unused inbound sector if i can produce a death certificate. Due to the traumatic and tragic nature of the death i do not really wanna bring up raw emotions by requesting the death certificate from the family member who most likely has it, but i shall update on what BA says for any future reader in the same boat. Thanks for the input.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.