Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

BA Lounge Access when travelling through LHR on VS !

Old Dec 17, 18, 8:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BA GGL(Gone 5/19)-Virgin Gold-Delta MM-Hilton/Wyndham Diamond-IHG/Marriott Gold-Accor/Hyatt Nobody

I'm in GA, USA and need to go to HKG/BKK next April. I've found what I think is a good fare ATL-LHR-HKG-LHR-ATL with VS in PE for $1,800. Yes, I know, crazy routing, but I've done worse.

There'll be no lounge access with PE on VS, but what if I purchased a LHR-MAN using Avios(or low cash price), which I had no intention of flying, but I could use my Gold BA status to enjoy 'any?' of the OneWorld lounges for the 'day' (approx. 8 hours). I presume I'd need to check in online to get lounge entry ?

Would this work ? any better ideas ?
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:25 pm

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, VS Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold
LHR MAN is from Terminal 5 while VS is T3 so doubt you would get lounge access at a OW T3 lounge.

Virgin have been known to offer paid access to their Clubhouse for around 60, which, depending on how long you will have could be a good deal.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:27 pm

Programs: AA CK, EK Platinum
You probably wouldn't win any ethical awards in the near future, but as long as this is not becoming a habit, one may not be dragged down for settlement from BA.
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:41 pm

Barcelona or Gibraltar may be better options as they are from Terminal 3
Old Dec 17, 18, 9:48 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold
Oneway to LUX 4k Avios and 17.50 goes from T3 and you can spend the day lounge hopping or just park yourself in Cathay first and relax for the day.

Personally, I would get out of the airport, find a hotel and spend some pool time away from a terminal.
Old Dec 18, 18, 12:38 am
Senior Mod and Moderator: Aegean Miles&Bonus and British Airways

Programs: A3*G, BA Gold, BD Gold (in memoriam), IHG Spire
Originally Posted by Sealink View Post
LHR MAN is from Terminal 5 while VS is T3 so doubt you would get lounge access at a OW T3 lounge.
Actually you probably would, given there are examples of this working with those who transit through T3 and clear security there before doing so again after transferring to T5.

You could possibly expect more questions to be asked, so - given the number of confirmed reports is still small - there is a greater financial risk to taking that route compared to just a simple refusal on a ticket thats actually going to be used.

This would, Id have to say, be beyond my personal moral compass (not so much towards the airline, who would have sold one of their products, but having potentially denied a fellow passenger the chance to acquire the space whose need might be greater than mine), and Id second the suggestions of the entirely risk-free options of a VS day pass or time outside the airport.
Old Dec 18, 18, 1:52 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, EK Skywards (enhanced Blue !), Oman Air Sindbad Gold
Originally Posted by BritBoyInFL View Post

.................................................. ..

Would this work ? any better ideas ?
Better ideas ? Yes.

My better idea is to get out of the airport, and do something interesting for the day. A trip to nearby Windsor ..... or to central London itself, where the opportunities are varied, novel, and countless.

But then again perhaps the lure of free food & drink for eight hours, by conning your way into an airport lounge, is just too powerful.

Old Dec 18, 18, 2:19 am

Programs: BA GGL, Royal Ambassador
Huh.... $1,800 on a flight and trying use a loophole to get into the an airline lounge when one can be booked from under 25 ? Way beyond what my moral conscience would allow - not to mention potentially denying someone a seat on a flight home ? Guessing the conclusion was that any inconvenience potentially caused to someone else was justified for the saving.

Also, 8 hours in an airport lounge when London is a train ride away, not to mention Windsor ?

Is it theoretically possible to do this, yes.
Is it appropriate to do this, no

Book a day room at a hotel. Book lounge access, get a bus to Windsor, get the tube/train to London ...
Old Dec 18, 18, 2:53 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Before we all get carried away here, can we agree that the OP, in asking how to get lounge access during a longish layover, does not exactly represent the devil incarnate.

I also note the use of the word 'NEED' to go to HKG/BKK. Which (and I could be wrong here) to me signifies most likely business trip. And therefore maybe the OP just wants to chill, do a little work, and not have to move too much. London is a great city (it's been my home for all of my working life) but it's also very busy and bustling. And while if you have an overnight stay, I'd say a trip into town while your bags sit in an airport hotel is an absolute no brainer, would I feel the same way about a 8 hour layover? I'm really not sure I would...

Breaking it down....

Start with 8 hours
Subtract say half an hour for faffing with the storage of your bags wherever that is at LHR (not done it myself) - now it's 7.5
Subtract 2 for travel into / out of town - so we're down to 5.5 hours
Subtract minimum 90 for rechecking bags etc for the next longhaul sector - now it's 4
Subtract say half an hour for eating / drinking during the day - 3.5 now
Subtract say half an hour for travelling between whatever things you go see, queuing, buying tickets if necessary - down to 3
Did I miss anything?

So then you have 3 hours - I reckon that means you can either see one thing in reasonable detail, or maybe two things get a more cursory glance.

I'm not saying that there's zero point, I am merely saying that when you break it down like that (and the above is essentially the reality of getting round a big city like London) it's so cut and dried as to make the OP an unambitious idiot if they decide to stay in Heathrow. And that, I feel, was where this thread seemed to be going.

Just my $0.02
jfallesen likes this.
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Platinum & Ambassador
@Pascoe why does the op need to bother with left luggage and recheckin bags at LHR when VS will through check them to HKG?.
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:02 am

Programs: Mucci Blue, BAEC Gold, Blockbuster Video card
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
@Pascoe why does the op need to bother with left luggage and recheckin bags at LHR when VS will through check them to HKG?.
Good point, well made...
Old Dec 18, 18, 3:13 am

Programs: BAEC Gold (GGL/CCR), HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear View Post
Depends on how much hand luggage he would be having. Would you want to drag a carry-on and laptop bag into London while sight seeing?
Old Dec 18, 18, 4:16 am

Originally Posted by ckx2 View Post
You probably wouldn't win any ethical awards in the near future, but as long as this is not becoming a habit, one may not be dragged down for settlement from BA.
What's the ethics problem? OP is paying for the ticket. It's not like he's buying fully flexible and then cancelling.

As an aside, for the 17.50 fee (plus miles), BA will probably make a profit out of him.
sahajesh and mec72 like this.

Search this Thread