Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > British Airways | Executive Club
Reload this Page >

Is Terminal 5 airside Boots actually tax free now?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Is Terminal 5 airside Boots actually tax free now?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by criso
When you get to the counter, you hand over you boarding pass and if flying outside the EU, a discount is applied equivalent to the vat. Note some items may be zero rated or incur a different rate but for cosmetics, it's 20%.

Some more info https://www.independent.co.uk/travel...-a7628956.html
Thanks - I've learned something! Surprised that they actually changed the way they operate but can't remember too much publicity of this actually in the shops at the airport!
Old Dec 19, 2018, 12:42 am

Programs: BA Silver
It was actually one of the sales assistant that told me the first time. If you're female and hesitate at Boots for even a second, someone will approach and try and sell you the latest wonder cream from their own range. As I was flying out to the far east she pointed out i would save even more because of vat exemption. Since then I stock up on certain things as long as I'm checking in buggage on the way back.

Note there are two branches of Boots so if they are out of stock in one, it's worth trying the other.
Old Dec 19, 2018, 1:47 am
sxc
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX Green, QF Platinum, BAEC Silver, Hyatt Glob
There are some things at the airport that aren’t the same price. Specifically, electric toothbrushes. Usually they are 50% off in the store but you won’t find that discount at the airport.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 9:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Newbie BA Gold
Just to report back and confirm that airside Boots is indeed VAT free. I bought hundred odd pounds worth of vitamins (I know, I know), all scanned through at 3 for 2, then simply had VAT deducted off the final figure. They are more than triple the price in the far east so I will be buying all required vitamins at Heathrow in the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.