Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ESTA Panic

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:29 am

Programs: Confirmed
My full name has 6 letters and there isn't a middle name.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:03 pm

Just renewed the kids esta's today took 5 mins for approval (they both have GE though)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 7:47 pm

Originally Posted by Dougy_D
Thought i'd share a story from today.

Tomorrow, the wife and i are travelling to New York on BA0173 in J. Booked 2 months ago, and ESTA submitted beginning of December.

During check-in for the BA flights, I noticed it would not allow me to print off wife's boarding pass. BA also advised that our travel documents would need to be checked at the airport. The only document i could think of was our ESTA/ approval so I re-checked the ESTA approval and to my absolute horror, noticed her middle name had a one letter mis-spelling "M" instead of "N". Quick search on FT indicated that as this did not match up on the passport, it's as good as useless. NOTE: I scanned her passport to pre-populate the fields and this seems to have caused the issue (however I know it's my fault for not checking)

PANIC!!

11:35 today I resubmitted her ESTA, but in bold red highlight, 72 hours minimum. Body shaking of nerves, I make silly mistakes but correct them immediately and resubmit the application. It prompts me that I have an existing ESTA open that will be cancelled if resubmitting. Pausing for a second, I question whether I should do it, but knowing how precise US customs can be, I thought its the only option available.
11:45 I call BA Bronze Helpline to discuss my predicament. The guy i spoke to was extremely helpful and understanding and gave me some options to consider, and a number to call should I need to change flights.
12:00 Go for lunch with a friend but can't stop thinking about this ridiculous mistake i made and crossing fingers we get approval in time.
13:00 Get back from lunch, check status, all approved!!

PANIC OVER! Well kind of. I'm now paranoid i've made another mistake somewhere, or that BA won't process it in time for our flight, or US customs won't receive it in time for our arrival.

I'm sure it's all fine but the lesson from this story? Be wary of the passport image scanner on ESTA site. Recommend filling in all fields yourself!
I'm glad it got resolved. I've not had the same time constraint as you, but I did get the 72 hours notification when in the past it was very very quick.
However, like you, I got my approval within an hour or two.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:07 am

Programs: BA Gold
No idea about the accuracy of this, but it does seem reasonable. There was a VS thread somewhere about this with the OP getting in a strop that they wouldn't allow him to check-in when ESTA application had been made at the airport, I think for his children or wife rather than himself. The outcome seemed to be that it's not the approval on the CBP site that's key, but the 72 hours is a window to allow the approval to pass to the airline. OP on that thread was angry that despite showing a print or screenshot approval VS still wouldn't allow check-in as it had not passed to them in the required way.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
I remember that thread. They were very angry with VS but the fault was theirs for not checking their expiry dates.

Airlines have to take the marker that the CBP sends them to allow you to board the plane. CBP have been clear recently that you cannot rely on getting an instant approval. It’s perfectly feasible for someone to knock up a screen shot or show a string of letters and numbers and say ‘look here it is’ especially as the CBP doesn’t send the number for the airline to cross check it against!

I was asked by TAP a few weeks ago to show them my esta. I pointed out that the system is electronic to no avail. I managed to log into my account to show her but that defeats the whole point if having an Electronic system!
Old Apr 8, 2019, 5:51 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, Accor Live Limitless Gold, Hilton Honours Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
Sorry to reignite a slightly old thread, I found out this evening that I may need to be in NYC on Friday, suddenly remembered that I have anew passport and thus needed an ESTA, also remembered the 72 hour rule so assumed that I was toast. ESTA applied for on my phone whilst in the train on the way home and approved within 5 minutes.
Old Apr 8, 2019, 9:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by wilsnunn
Sorry to reignite a slightly old thread, I found out this evening that I may need to be in NYC on Friday, suddenly remembered that I have anew passport and thus needed an ESTA, also remembered the 72 hour rule so assumed that I was toast. ESTA applied for on my phone whilst in the train on the way home and approved within 5 minutes.
Good for you. 72 hours seem to be shorter nowadays than before

It's also good to know for me, as I have to use a multiple entry visa in my present, almost fully stamped, passport before applying for a new ESTA. The online ESTA is easy-peasy whereas applying for a new visa is a hassle.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 2:35 am

Its worth saying your mileage may vary.
I legally changed my name and got a new passport, and when I applied for my ESTA (in advance so no time pressure), mine took over 24 hours to be approved (I tried logging out and back in at several points throughout the day).
The _Banking_Scot likes this.
Old Apr 9, 2019, 3:10 am

Originally Posted by killaypirate
GaxxyFlyer completed Aus e-Visitor at airport. We’ve applied twice and on both occasions Mrs Killaypirate approved in 10 mins while mine took 3 days.CBP at JFK made a hash of her entry one time mixed up our passports, she got taken off and had to wait while they processed arrivals without passports or visas. Every time since she has had the X on her ESTA slip. Recently renewed for our April trip so hopefully everything OK but always fret I’ve made a stupid mistake on the application.
Does the X on the slip have something to with food too? I only ask because i always bring in chocolates fand sweets for friends and hence, always claim that i have food with me (i have watched too many episodes of "nothing to declare")- i always thought that i had to speak to a human because of that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.